PDA

View Full Version : Charity

Scorpious2k
06-14-2008, 01:04 PM
I doubt this is the appropriate place to post this, and for that matter there may not be a place.

I know of a family, single parent/kids, that is having some trouble. Parent works but they have fallen behind in rent ($500) and are in danger of being thrown out. They have nowhere to go.

I have tried to help (yes, that is why I put my new computer quest on hold), but don't have much extra. I know there are many good people here and thought maybe some of you would like to help. Just a few dollars each would save them from homelessness.

I wouldn't expect anyone to give it all, nor would I want anyone who couldn't afford it to send anything... but if you have a little extra and want to help, you can use our server donation account at http://scorpious2k.info and then TELL me that it is for this family with a PM. I will pass it on.

If you don't have any other way to help, perhaps you would remember them in your thoughts and prayers.

Thanks.

Scorp

Scorpious2k
06-15-2008, 04:54 PM
I admit, I am a little disappointed.

I believe that the people here are good people, who wouldn't let a mother and two small children live and sleep in their car.... am I wrong?

I hope not.

Yes, I admit I care about people. I also feed stray cats and dogs.

xxarthurxx
06-15-2008, 05:30 PM
There are projects, organizations, and shelters that she and her kids can go. We pay taxes for tons of programs (like welfare for example) that i don't feel I need to reach into my pocket and give more of my hard earned money. I personally am all about helping others, but when a person refuses to do anything to help themselves they have no one to blame but themselves.

This is also why I dont give money to bums and homeless people with their hands out. Not trying to rant but where I live the homeless pop is quite large. There are those that are trying to get back on their feet and doing what they can to do so, and there are others who just want hand outs.

If you really want to help this woman and her kids, take her to the nearest shelter, or since she has a car to sleep in give her directions and some gas.

So sorry if this hurts anyones feelings or if i come off as to blunt, but I don't like guilt trips :P

Scorpious2k
06-15-2008, 06:49 PM
Is that the way everyone feels?

Gonner
06-15-2008, 09:23 PM
If I had something to give I would. I am trying to get back up from roughly the same ordeal that is above.

While I can't help outright I can say at least try this. Contact HuD - Housing in urban development- which is state assisted housing. They base your rent off of your income. For mine all I need to do is make sure I keep electric (besides noise and all the common sense things) on but other may have other rules that need followed.

Sorry this is the best I can give.

Windcatcher
06-16-2008, 02:58 PM
The main reason why I've never donated in the community is because I feel rather strongly that I need to take extraordinary measures to protect my identity. I doubt this applies to most people here, but with what I've contributed I'm pretty sure that SOE isn't exactly my friend. If there was a way to anonymously donate (not necessarily only to this cause) I might be a lot more inclined. In this particular case, I'm wondering what will happen next month, or the month after that. I understand the need for emergency help, but finding a long-term solution looks to be just as critical.

Is your friend a member of a church community? When I was young, a friend's mother passed away and his father was disabled. Their house was in dire need of repair, and the parish organized a team of people to make the necessary repairs. You might want your friend to approach their local parish priest, etc. ASAP to see if any help can be found. When I was growing up the parish had all kinds of fundraisers, food drives, etc. to help people in need.

Scorpious2k
06-16-2008, 07:13 PM
If I had something to give I would. I am trying to get back up from roughly the same ordeal that is above.

While I can't help outright I can say at least try this. Contact HuD - Housing in urban development- which is state assisted housing. They base your rent off of your income. For mine all I need to do is make sure I keep electric (besides noise and all the common sense things) on but other may have other rules that need followed.

Sorry this is the best I can give.

Thanks, you are the kind of person I expect to find in this community.

It's a good idea and I will pass it on. Thank you.

Scorpious2k
06-16-2008, 07:16 PM
The main reason why I've never donated in the community is because I feel rather strongly that I need to take extraordinary measures to protect my identity. I doubt this applies to most people here, but with what I've contributed I'm pretty sure that SOE isn't exactly my friend. If there was a way to anonymously donate (not necessarily only to this cause) I might be a lot more inclined. In this particular case, I'm wondering what will happen next month, or the month after that. I understand the need for emergency help, but finding a long-term solution looks to be just as critical.

Is your friend a member of a church community? When I was young, a friend's mother passed away and his father was disabled. Their house was in dire need of repair, and the parish organized a team of people to make the necessary repairs. You might want your friend to approach their local parish priest, etc. ASAP to see if any help can be found. When I was growing up the parish had all kinds of fundraisers, food drives, etc. to help people in need.

Thanks Windcatcher. Some good ideas from you, too. Thank you.

Like you, I try to remain anonymous. But remember, I am the one that got the cease and desist order a couple of years ago from sony, so obviously you are doing a better job :P

Or, maybe I make them more nervous <devious laugh>

Angelox
06-16-2008, 09:34 PM
After a lot of years, I realize I can't solve all the problems of the world. I think I know how he feels.
There really is no excuse not to donate a little money to him , anyone can make a Paypal account, in fact, when I donate to the devs, I don't even need that, paypal offers many alternatives with out even need be member. I'm sure we are not all so broke here as to not even have five bucks to send Scorpious2k. If I can afford a PC , a light-bulb, a chair to sit in and also afford time for this, then I most certainly can afford some sort of a donation.
We can view this in a different manner ; Scorpious2k has been around for a years and is actively helping us with the project. If he wants donations, then donate just too keep him working for us! give him a greater reason to help us out.
I really appreciate his help in keeping EqEmu alive and I already have started donating to him here ; http://sourceforge.net/users/scorpious2k/ (http://sourceforge.net/users/scorpious2k/)
You can donate, and leave your name with a comment for the rest to see and know you donated.
I really don't care what he does with the money I donate, and I will try and make a donation every month. This will be my thanks for his work here.
Same goes to the other Devs here, I've donated to a few of you, but really don't know if you wanted/needed or not, you never gave any replies.

leslamarch
06-17-2008, 12:42 PM
I kinda agree with Angelox on this, Some families just fall through the "cracks" so to speak. I'll donate what i can when I can and hope this can help, Like Angelo said best

"Scorpious2k has been around for years and is actively helping us with the project. If he wants donations, then donate just too keep him working for us! give him a greater reason to help us out."

I wish them the best of Luck S2k

~LL~

After a lot of years, I realize I can't solve all the problems of the world. I think I know how he feels.
There really is no excuse not to donate a little money to him , anyone can make a Paypal account, in fact, when I donate to the devs, I don't even need that, paypal offers many alternatives with out even need be member. I'm sure we are not all so broke here as to not even have five bucks to send Scorpious2k. If I can afford a PC , a light-bulb, a chair to sit in and also afford time for this, then I most certainly can afford some sort of a donation.
We can view this in a different manner ; Scorpious2k has been around for a years and is actively helping us with the project. If he wants donations, then donate just too keep him working for us! give him a greater reason to help us out.
I really appreciate his help in keeping EqEmu alive and I already have started donating to him here ; http://sourceforge.net/users/scorpious2k/ (http://sourceforge.net/users/scorpious2k/)
You can donate, and leave your name with a comment for the rest to see and know you donated.
I really don't care what he does with the money I donate, and I will try and make a donation every month. This will be my thanks for his work here.
Same goes to the other Devs here, I've donated to a few of you, but really don't know if you wanted/needed or not, you never gave any replies.

Killawen
06-22-2008, 12:53 AM
Im 21, I live on my own because my parents have been unemployed for as long as I can remember. I make less than 8k a year, my rent is 3/4 of my paycheck...

I may sound crude, but honestly...if everyone out there got donations because they "fell through cracks" then nobody would learn anything. I wash dishes 40-50 hours a week to stay afloat...

Maybe I just think that way because I'm used to always being $200-$400 in the hole. Best of luck though.