PDA

View Full Version : Classic/Kunark server [Why does it not exist?]

ForsakenDF
07-29-2008, 03:11 AM
tl;dr version at the bottom since I understand most people have short attention spans.

Aside from the current PvP + server [Vallon Zek/Tallon Zek Legit/PvP] there is not one single Classic/Kunark (I wouldn't even mind Velious as the final exp) that's populated.

V.Zek is fun to play on every so often, but the focus seems to be PvP code re-writes every few weeks instead of implementing quests and/or NPC fixes.
Instead they simply implemented custom NPC's to hold all needed non-drop spells/etc and if you level up beyond 20 (God forbid, because the 50-60 crowd gets catered to content wise and PvP code wise) Now the issue with the NPC's they implemented in certain spots through-out Norrath.

The areas are hot spots for the higher levels to abuse and/or pick on lower level players (players here seem to take pride in using the -10 level gap to their advantage) and its the same 3-4 guilds killing each other and new players day in and out as it was 3~ months ago.

Let's not forget to mention anyone in one of the top guilds that has a melee has 3~ alt characters to buff up their melee character + a shaman for alchemy pots.

Anyways, i'm getting off on the wrong foot here, I really could care less for the PvP and the fact that the server's prime PvPers are the same people that have been playing the server since Classic. Anyone that does level and manage to get close to max level will be greeted with 3-5 max level/planar geared players going from exp spot to exp spot and you are unfortunately forced to loot your corpse and leave the zone, even though the griefers main focus is to simply gain a kill even after the kill board system was removed.

Quick note to the PEQ server :

I like PEQ, but the buff bots and rampant 4-5 boxing doesn't bring back memories for me, the community is verryyyyy friendly there to new players however there is no sense to group up and level with some strangers without being twinked/buffed to hell plus i'm not really fond of PoK + I have 5-6 level 50+ characters on PEQ and it was mostly solo because everyone 4-5 boxes....Plus a few months ago my PEQ experience was rather so-so, friendly community but non-stop crashes (due to too many open zones / multi-boxers / etc)

tl;dr version

Make a Classic/Kunark (Velious) server.

Honestly I wish Cavedude would make a Classic/Kunark server because he'd actually make sure 100% of the quests / NPC's were functioning.

wexford
07-29-2008, 05:46 AM
Or you could put all your ides into it and make one yourself instead of just complaing about the servers available. the Beauty of this project is that if you dont like what is there, you can make your own

Angelox
07-29-2008, 09:02 AM
Problem is, most people that come to play on the EqEmu servers, are there because they can't do on live, what they can do there.
Not that that can't be changed, I'm sure most server operators do not want to see all the cheating, 4-boxing etc.
I think the players that really want to play a clean game of EQ, just went back to Live, or some other game where there is some sort of security.
For all the people who work endlessly on the source, database, quests, this puts it all to waste. For example, Why should I quest and item if I can summon it? or, Why should I group if I can make my own group with 3 or for boxes?
There's been a lot of excellent work done towards making the servers more secure; Illegal Item detection, MQWarp/MQZone/MQGate Detection, etc. But who uses them to their most? you can even limit one IP per connection. When I played Everquest on live, very few people where familys that played from the same ip. So you could 'approve' the ones that wanted more ips per connection (maybe 2 per connection).
But when you start doing all this, all the whining, complaining, will start - usually a few people that not only have 4 box accounts, but might have 10+ forum accounts! so you think you're dealing with different people when in reality, it was the same one.
Also, when you start real secure server like this, you will have to find a way to promote it to a player base away from what there is now, because the current EqEmu players will not come.
If you go on live now, ask players what they think of EqEmu, the general feeling is 'too much cheating, so too easy'.

Cripp
07-29-2008, 11:24 AM
LOL when i ask about eqemu on live the response i get most is "whats emu?" :D

TheLieka
07-29-2008, 12:33 PM
I don't have the resources (staff) to host and dev more than one server, so I can't help ya. I have been thinking about releasing our current (not perfect) database. We did a ton of fixes on the old world (reverting a great deal of it back to original), released AirPlane, FearPlane, and HatePlane, and have just released Kunark (though there's always work to be done).

If anyone is interested in taking that database and fixing it up, I have no problem with releasing it - though, I would need a place to host it, as I don't want to blow up my web hosting provider's bandwidth (he's a nice guy).

Dax

Angelox
07-29-2008, 01:16 PM
I don't have the resources (staff) to host and dev more than one server, so I can't help ya. I have been thinking about releasing our current (not perfect) database. We did a ton of fixes on the old world (reverting a great deal of it back to original), released AirPlane, FearPlane, and HatePlane, and have just released Kunark (though there's always work to be done).

If anyone is interested in taking that database and fixing it up, I have no problem with releasing it - though, I would need a place to host it, as I don't want to blow up my web hosting provider's bandwidth (he's a nice guy).

Dax

I can host it for you - PM me if you want to

Ueguvil
07-29-2008, 03:04 PM
I would LOVE to see a Classic + Kunark (and Velious too even) PVE server that actually sticks around. Preferrably with a max 2 connections per client and some method of easier transportation while the population is low. Also, you'll be my hero if you release that database of yours Dax. :D

Kuja2600
07-30-2008, 07:22 AM
i'd love a Eqemu classic server to play on while waiting for EQC beta

nilbog
07-30-2008, 10:05 AM
Complexity is still in early game play of classic..

http://complexity.net78.net/

page is currently down due to hosting issues, but i recommend!

p.s. gm is looking for someone to host this. read forum

nilbog
07-30-2008, 02:20 PM
ugh.

*server is currently down due to hosting issues.
page is fine

ForsakenDF
07-30-2008, 11:49 PM
Keeping this bumped ~

Looks like genuine interest was generated instead of the pvp+ server flaming me for not appreciating the PvP. I'll be honest, I never played the Zek servers past level 15-20 tbh.

I however have been gaming and PvPing since UO 97, but I can't compare UO and EQ people, its apples and oranges.

Let's get some interest generated in a Classic/Kunark server [with emphasis on implementing most quests].

I understand most servers use increased experience gain and questing isn't required, but I miss the days of handing in gnolls fangs/crushbone belts by the boat load for 3-4 levels.

aendain
08-01-2008, 12:17 AM
I am extremely interested in a good classic server. I can help with database work, as I'm very familiar with old world specifics.

I know there are a ton of people who would be into it, before Jenco pulled the plug for unknown reasons, CKV had gained a major population boost.

TheLieka
08-01-2008, 12:24 PM
I have to talk with my team and make sure it's still kosher with them to release it (they've done 99% of the work for the past few months). They were cool with it a while back, but they've done a ton of work to release Kunark, and I definitely don't want to undermine their contributions by stepping on their toes. :) Assuming they have no issues, I'll get in touch with Ax and pass it along.

Dax

mokfarg
08-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Would be neat to see the EQEmu produce this server. It is ashame there are so many projects that split off from EQEmu. EQEmu should have been licensed under the GNU. :grin: If everyone would contribute then the EQEmu would be even so much better. I personally don't like anything myself past Velious and don't play on EQEmu servers but I appreciate the EQEmu project none the less.

rogue50
08-04-2008, 01:18 PM
a 0.4.4 server would be the best if what i say is correct it requires the least amount of work

EvoZak
08-04-2008, 02:15 PM
I have to talk with my team and make sure it's still kosher with them to release it (they've done 99% of the work for the past few months). They were cool with it a while back, but they've done a ton of work to release Kunark, and I definitely don't want to undermine their contributions by stepping on their toes. :) Assuming they have no issues, I'll get in touch with Ax and pass it along.

Dax

Did you guys start with PEQ as any kind of a base for this content? What would you say is the gap in PEQ to Kunark level database content?

Pheersome
08-04-2008, 11:34 PM
one is in the works at the moment, but im not sure what EQemu's stance is on this server since theyre using a separate loginserver

www.eqclassic.org