PDA

View Full Version : Some noobish questions.

Trangoul
08-01-2008, 01:34 PM
Hello all,
Well I have been searching for a bit of information on the forums for certain questions but I think I'm messing up big time with the search criteria to get a couple of answers.

I have a group of friends who used to play no Vazaelle (ages ago) server and we we're wondering if we could somehow setup a local server for the group of us to play. Mainly just basic quest stuff probably LDoN or something or probably Planes progression to whatever is doable by two groups of course. However I've been looking for a post which would show what all zones would be pretty much the same as it was on the other servers? Can I still access the Planes and other Progression based areas? I noticed that LDoN is still being worked in some posts but couldn't find information about the rest. if anyone could link me to a list of the actual quests or progression that is supported it would help alot :).

How hard is it to setup a server for Gameplay? I'm not that great with computers but I think I can manage :) .

Is this the guide that I should e following http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=ws992mysql5 .

Thanks in advance . And sorry if the questions have been answered billions of times already.

trevius
08-02-2008, 12:57 AM
Yes, that is the guide you should follow to get a server setup. Getting a server up and running isn't all that hard really, but any changes from that point on can start to get complicated.

The PEQ database is mostly finished up to PoP, but LDoN doesn't have much done, mainly because adventure points don't work right in the emulator yet.

There is still a ton of good and fun content to play in on the standard PEQ database install. But, really, you might be better off actually just joining an existing server. Then, you can get some ideas on what can be done in with the emulator and then maybe start your own server after you check out a couple existing ones. That is just a suggestion though.

If you want to play on a server that is almost exactly like EQLive, then you want the Grand Creation (PEQ). It is the most popular and most updated server that emulates Live as close as possible. There is good leadership on that server and the admins are active in making it better. It also breaks well over 100 to 150ish players daily at peak times, which is very good for an emulator server. PEQ has been up and running for years, which is more than most servers can say. Many servers will show up for a few months and then disappear for good.

You and your friends also might like to check out custom servers. They give EQ a whole new feel, but still in an EQ way. They have custom quests, epics, items, NPCs, encounters and other things. Many are faster progression than PEQ, but they still have a good amount of content to keep people busy for a fairly long while. I would recommend Zebuxoruk, EZ Server, or my server Storm Haven. They have all been up a while and I have played on all of them, so I know they are good and fun. There are tons of other servers out there, but I don't know enough about them to recommend them. But, if you see a server with more than 10 people on it, it is probably a decent server.

If you are still set on just making a server of your own right off of the bat, feel free to ask any questions if you have problems getting it setup. You can also try using the PEQ Installer Pack, which you can find in the tools section of these forums, I believe. That will do almost everything for you automatically. Though, the wiki isn't hard to follow and I prefer to do it myself personally.

Welcome to the emu :)

Trangoul
08-02-2008, 04:55 AM
Thank you for your reply :).

The reason I thought to try my hand creating a server is because we all live in India which would lead me to think that Id probably experience quite high pings on servers.

I tried PeQ server today and I didn't experience much lag at all :). Its been quite a while since I was in Felwithe so I did get lost in the city. Definitely renewed some memories.

Never got around to hunt something down in Gates or Omens, maybe sometime Ill try that out. The maximum I've seen is Plane of Time (Just entered it ) we're all looking for Old content and thats definitely enough to keep us busy.

trevius
08-02-2008, 05:20 AM
Ya, it sounds like PEQ could work out perfect for you. I have plenty of players on my server that play from China, and my server is in the US and they don't have any issues that I am aware of. So, I am sure India should be just fine as well.

lil_general
08-18-2008, 04:03 PM
alright. my brother told me of this website, was just wondering if anyone could help me with a couple questions

trevius
08-18-2008, 04:45 PM
We can try to help you if you ask questions. Feel free to ask anytime :)

lil_general
08-18-2008, 05:05 PM
ok well my brother use to play this, i play the original eq. I would like to play this one was wondering what i need to do to play

trevius
08-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Try to keep your questions in 1 thread if they are related to each other. Your questions have been answered in the other thread you were posting in.

lil_general
08-18-2008, 05:21 PM
ahh kk thanks alot, sorry for the double posting