PDA

View Full Version : Debian Installation attempt

hayward6
08-25-2008, 11:34 AM
Hey all,
This weekend I made an attempt at swapping from Windows, to Debian and it didn't go so well.

The pieces that didn't go real well were the compiling and sourcing in my windows database... I ran through it from start to finish many times, and each time I had different issues. Sometimes the compiler would give me comparison errors, and other times it seemed to go fine except the links were broken. When I finally had it running I saw the server on the login screen but couldnt connect because the banned ip field was not there (database didn't seem to source right from my backup of the windows pc.

Has anyone else gone through this and worked it out, I know im being vague, but i had so many issues I thought I would just discuss them all.

Thank you,

Angelox
08-25-2008, 11:50 AM
Did you try running 'make depend' before compile? what links were broken ? was it perl or MySql?

hayward6
08-25-2008, 12:00 PM
hmmm, make depend doesn't sound familiar to me... is that in the wiki? I better read it again. After compiling you have to link to the executables and other files... those links were messed up and I had to do a lot of manual moving and directory editing, which of course didn't help :) I might give it another go and just source in a new DB... suck to lose all my custom stuff and accounts though.

Angelox
08-25-2008, 12:31 PM
Just type 'make clean', then 'make depend', and finally 'make'

hayward6
08-25-2008, 12:31 PM
I'll give it a shot, thank you

hayward6
08-25-2008, 12:57 PM
hmmm, I ran make clean first and that seemed to go ok.

eqemu@server:~/server/EQEmu-0.7.0-1043-source$ make depend
make: *** No rule to make target `depend'. Stop.
eqemu@server:~/server/EQEmu-0.7.0-1043-source$

hayward6
08-25-2008, 12:59 PM
I see this a lot also... Is that working as intended?

client.cpp:1203: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions

Angelox
08-25-2008, 01:02 PM
Go into each directory example;
'cd zone'
then make the executable for zone

hayward6
08-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Ok, im starting to find things I missed in earlier setups. The wiki never really tells you where to put the source file, but it's quite obvious that they need to be in the source folder. I was tired when I was setting it up last night. I'm going to play around with it and report back with success or failure. Thanks a lot for your help

hayward6
08-25-2008, 01:07 PM
I'll still need to do this right? or should I just move the files myself?

directories will need to be edited of course

cd /home/eqemu/server
ln -s ../source/EQEmu-0.7.0-1118/utils/defaults/* .
ln -s ../source/EQEmu-0.7.0-1118/utils/patch_* .
ln -s ../source/EQEmu-0.7.0-1118/utils/cleanipc
ln -s ../source/EQEmu-0.7.0-1118/world/world
ln -s ../source/EQEmu-0.7.0-1118/zone/zone
ln -s ../source/EQEmu-0.7.0-1118/EMuShareMem/libEMuShareMem.so
ln -s ../source/EQEmu-0.7.0-1118/eqlaunch/eqlaunch

Angelox
08-25-2008, 01:09 PM
Link to where ever your executables will be, or you can just copy them over to your server directory

hayward6
08-25-2008, 01:14 PM
Wow, i'll think twice before updating to new versions after this... It's sooo much easier to update on Windows.

The server completely locking up and needing to reboot every couple of compiles is fun too :(

Angelox
08-25-2008, 02:27 PM
Wow, i'll think twice before updating to new versions after this... It's sooo much easier to update on Windows.

The server completely locking up and needing to reboot every couple of compiles is fun too :(

It's not that bad, just you need to get used to Linux, if it's you first day with Linux, then the whole picture is new to you and it will all seem confusing.
I can assure you, the more you play around with Linux, the further away you'll drift from windows. If you really want a nice server, then Linux is the way to go.
There are a few things I miss from windows and still keep a windows PC for that reason. One is Everquest client runs 100% better there. Also I really like some of the GeorgeS tools, which I haven't been able to make fully funtional under Wine Xwindows.
Wine is really progressed so much, there is little I can't get to run with it (Wine runs windows apps under Linux.
So tell me, do you have your Linux Xwindows working and if so, is it KDE? ( I might be able to make it a bit easier if you do).

hayward6
08-25-2008, 02:36 PM
Ok I got it! thanks to you that is :) I've been using Unix/Red Hat Linux at work for years, but compiling is completely new to me. The understanding of file structure and permissions helps a lot... I have to go through now and try and source in my custom stuff as well as account info.

Thanks a lot for the help! I'll be skimming the Linux forums much more now to find tips.

hayward6
08-25-2008, 07:04 PM
Well it is running, and it's running real well! my only problem now is it seems to lock up completely from time to time. Not the emulator, but the entire pc...

My trouble earlier was trying to source the database in from Windows, I found I needed to source it in from a windows machine remotely and it worked fine

Angelox
08-25-2008, 07:18 PM
Well it is running, and it's running real well! my only problem now is it seems to lock up completely from time to time. Not the emulator, but the entire pc...

My trouble earlier was trying to source the database in from Windows, I found I needed to source it in from a windows machine remotely and it worked fine

Usually, I've found lock-ups related to bad or wrong memory. You Debian distro should have an option for testing memory (at pre-install), My Mandriva does anyway. If Memory checks out ok, try the Video card memory.

If it ran good under Windows before, that's 'cause Linux utilizes more of memory, more often (to speed things up)

hayward6
08-25-2008, 07:40 PM
Its up now and I'm testing out disabling some of the power options, sleep, and idle and things like that. If it crashes again, I'll have a look at the memory. Thanks for the heads up, you've been a life saver today!

hayward6
08-26-2008, 05:18 AM
Well, it's still rocking. I have to say, I'm impressed already! Usually I wake up in the morning to 4-5 ghost logins and a bunch of zone crash errors. Looking at it now, the logs are clean and accurate and there's nobody online, more what I expect to see at 5am :)

I'm feeling confident now that there's very little work i'll need to do on the machine itself to keep it running, and with SQL Admin, query browser, and George's tools I'm all set.

hayward6
08-29-2008, 01:20 PM
No lockups since I swapped the memory out :) It's running great.