PDA

View Full Version : What happened???

liquest
09-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Once i get hooked on a server it randomly goes down for a week, perminatly, or looking its population and no one plays, it all began with Krushers but now i doubt its coming back up. then came The Edge server, a great server, the most unique out there had abotu 20 players now the rare 1 player on and thats usually me, and i got hooked on PEQ 2 days before it went down, i know it will be back up its just that i hate moving from server to server it sucks. anyone here know a great server to play on in the mean time PEQ is down or until The Edge server comes back to populated????

Thankssss!! =-)
~Liquest

PS: Will be playing edge server if you wanna talk to me in game also

trevius
09-16-2008, 06:14 PM
Probably 90% or more of the servers that pop onto the server list don't last more than 3 months. Most of the time the admins just lose interest for one of any number of reasons.

Unexpected downtime is always a possibility on any server, but it is extremely rare on PEQ. There are a few other servers out there that have been around for a while now and are well populated but none of them have the record that PEQ does. I think the only ones that come close are KMRA and VZ/TZ. Though, there are some that were created within the past year or so that should be very reliable and have little threat of being abandoned anytime soon. If you look at the server list, just check out the ones that have 20+ players on them. Most of those are sure to be fun and should have minimal downtime. My server for example, has been up for about 8 months now and the longest downtime it has had was about 1 day. Other than that, any extended downtime has been limited. I probably have 98%+ uptime or so. And, many of the other popular custom servers seem to have similar uptime rates. I have played Zeb, EZ Server, Scars of Amerous and my server Storm Haven and I would recommend any of those to anyone. They are all alot of fun and each offer their own unique experience.

The competition of custom servers for players is pretty high right now, which is why certain servers just can't keep enough players. With the ease of getting a server running and thanks to tools created by people like GeorgeS, making a custom server is easier than ever. Anyone with a strong will and a little technical skill and creativity can make a server. Of course, one of the main factors is how much time and how many developers are available to work on the server.

It is too bad that there is no easy way to combine the efforts and teams of the more popular custom servers to make one monstrous server. Using the existing content from each server would be nearly impossible, managing it all would be a nightmare considering each admin would want to fight for control, and too much work has gone into each individual server to scrap them and start a completely fresh project. So, that isn't really an option, but it would certainly be badass lol.

Secrets
09-16-2008, 07:15 PM
Once i get hooked on a server it randomly goes down for a week, perminatly, or looking its population and no one plays, it all began with Krushers but now i doubt its coming back up. then came The Edge server, a great server, the most unique out there had abotu 20 players now the rare 1 player on and thats usually me, and i got hooked on PEQ 2 days before it went down, i know it will be back up its just that i hate moving from server to server it sucks. anyone here know a great server to play on in the mean time PEQ is down or until The Edge server comes back to populated????

Thankssss!! =-)
~Liquest

PS: Will be playing edge server if you wanna talk to me in game also

I gave up on edge a while back due to population issues. Ailia and I would be glad to work on it again if there was population on it.

I said this before, and i'll say it again. People are addicted to being god on servers, and no one likes to be underpowered and balanced.

This is many the case in MMORPGs, and is their flaw(s). Flavor of the month happens, and it attracts a lot of players, and as soon as their favorite class is nerfed or balanced, they lose those players, and server ops try and win those players back in a power struggle of classes.

Unfortunately, that's how it works, and people do not like a balanced gameplay environment, because they can't solo every living thing themselves, and that results in a low population.

Ultimately, if some people were hooked and wanted content, i'd consider making stuff for it again.

renoofturks1
09-16-2008, 07:36 PM
I gave up on edge a while back due to population issues. Ailia and I would be glad to work on it again if there was population on it.

I said this before, and i'll say it again. People are addicted to being god on servers, and no one likes to be underpowered and balanced.

This is many the case in MMORPGs, and is their flaw(s). Flavor of the month happens, and it attracts a lot of players, and as soon as their favorite class is nerfed or balanced, they lose those players, and server ops try and win those players back in a power struggle of classes.

Unfortunately, that's how it works, and people do not like a balanced gameplay environment, because they can't solo every living thing themselves, and that results in a low population.

Ultimately, if some people were hooked and wanted content, i'd consider making stuff for it again.

I would consider your argument flawed. The higher player base server's, PEQ and VZ/TZ to name a few, are more balanced than the much lower population servers. The extremely god-like server's quickly lose their appeal because there is no challenge for the players. I would bet, that if someone made an extremely hard, well balanced server, it would attract, over time, a larger player base.

liquest
09-16-2008, 08:06 PM

I would love to help bring the population back i mean its really a badass server, sorry for language but i mean if people start playing they really would get hooked on it no doubt, if we advertised it for about a week i bet we could get our old population back

liquest
09-16-2008, 09:46 PM
sorry for double post but right now i got 5 peeps on server including me this is really possible to get population back, i got one person hooked on it he bacame a regular so yeah...