PDA

View Full Version : Admin willing to help

Fridgecritter
10-18-2008, 03:33 PM
Hello there,

Many of you know me from my random loot server from about a year ago. I am back in the community, but really don't have the time or resources to dedicate to running my own server again, but I do have some spare time to play.

I am looking for a popular server to help with. I don't want to insult anyone, but I don't want to serve on a server that is empty all day.

I am well versed in database design, I know all of the Gm commands (and how to use them properly), and more importantly, I know the server software pretty well, having ran my own popular server for about 4 months before I had to shut it down due to lack of help and time to run it.

I am familiar with Everquest having served as a Guide for a couple of years on Bristlebane server on live. Some of you might know me from there as Crumbfinder.

I am a responsible adult with children, and I work in a profession that deals with resolving problems at every level of society, and before that, I served in the Army for almost 10 years. I currently design and keep up a guild website for WoW that you can look at and see my web design capabilities at http://www.frozenknights.com

PM me on here or drop an email at fridgecritter (at) gmail.com for offers. Thank you.

-Fridgecritter

liquest
10-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Hello there,

Many of you know me from my random loot server from about a year ago. I am back in the community, but really don't have the time or resources to dedicate to running my own server again, but I do have some spare time to play.

I am looking for a popular server to help with. I don't want to insult anyone, but I don't want to serve on a server that is empty all day.

I am well versed in database design, I know all of the Gm commands (and how to use them properly), and more importantly, I know the server software pretty well, having ran my own popular server for about 4 months before I had to shut it down due to lack of help and time to run it.

I am familiar with Everquest having served as a Guide for a couple of years on Bristlebane server on live. Some of you might know me from there as Crumbfinder.

I am a responsible adult with children, and I work in a profession that deals with resolving problems at every level of society, and before that, I served in the Army for almost 10 years. I currently design and keep up a guild website for WoW that you can look at and see my web design capabilities at http://www.frozenknights.com

PM me on here or drop an email at fridgecritter (at) gmail.com for offers. Thank you.

-Fridgecritter

Acually about a month ago there was a random loot server dedicated to yours, but looks like it went down last week it was known as Roxor's Sandbox, but like i said its not up unless it will be up again. but i remember your server that was great i enjoyed it

KingMort
10-19-2008, 02:25 AM
If you have coding skills you can come talk to me

King
raidaddicts.org

bowmaster
10-19-2008, 05:34 AM
Roxors , sandbox , Its Down being modded ( trying fixing the random high end mobs crashing zones etc )
U can find hios email on his post

the roxors sandbox one

Fridgecritter
10-20-2008, 01:00 PM
This problem with the high end zones was the same problem I was having with mine, and I was the only one dealing with it. The problem had to do with items that were not supported by the Titanium client dropping in the high end zones. The zones would crash upon starting combat with any mob that was carrying one of those items or that had the items on them before they died.

I updated the spells file and had everyone download it, and that solved some of the problems with unknown spell issues, but not all of them, and the zones continued to crash.

The random loot server really needs to be done in such a way that you can pick particular items that will not crash the server, and distribute them in your database in the loot tables.

This becomes an issue when you raise the level cap of your server beyond what Titanium supports because higher level players are not going to be able to level effectively without the gear that is appropriate for their level.

One solution I found to remedy this was to make custom items for 70+, but then you are spending hours upon hours of time creating these items for each race/class. If you have a server staff of 10 people who are on the dev end creating items for you, that's fine, but you still need to think about issues such as class balancing, and other things that really need to be taken into consideration to keep the gameplay fun.

-------------------------------------

In the end, I am really looking for a home where I can help organize the team and keep things running smoothly. I have extensive knowledge of organizational software such as SVN, Microsoft Groove, and other tools that keep a team collaborating over distances, as is often the case with these server projects.

I have successfully set up not only EQ servers, but a WoW server for a leading group that is doing well now on the top100, a Rose Online server (you can still to this day type in "Fridgecritter Rose Online" and come up with a whole bunch of google hits) which was number one on all the charts for about 8 months until I handed it over to my friend and he let it die. I have a working knowledge of Lineage II servers (L2J), and many more.

Frankly I am surprised that nobody needs a good GM or Admin to help out for free LOL.

AndMetal
10-20-2008, 01:28 PM
This problem with the high end zones was the same problem I was having with mine, and I was the only one dealing with it. The problem had to do with items that were not supported by the Titanium client dropping in the high end zones. The zones would crash upon starting combat with any mob that was carrying one of those items or that had the items on them before they died.

I updated the spells file and had everyone download it, and that solved some of the problems with unknown spell issues, but not all of them, and the zones continued to crash.

I'm not sure, but in addition to the original recommendation (http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24067#4), but this may have been related to cast times < -1. I run this each time I source the PEQ DB:

-- Fix negative cast times on items (client freezing)
UPDATE items SET casttime = 0, casttime_ = 0 WHERE casttime < -1;

Now granted, I've learned a lot since then and could probably add a fix to correct the bug in the source (there wasn't a check for anything < -1), I just haven't revisited it.

Frankly I am surprised that nobody needs a good GM or Admin to help out for free LOL.

I could use someone to help me. My only concern is that I use my server as more of a development server & will probably start migrating it to the SVN so I can compile changes & test them a lot easier, so I don't know if having someone to take their time to help manage the server would be a good thing. I know if I took more time to improve the server (tweaking respawn times, add NPCs with starting gear, etc), it would generate a lot more users than it does currently (about 7 around peak times), I just have a lot on my plate, which makes it extremely difficult.

If it's something you're interested in, shoot me a PM and we can see what's what. I'll be off most of this week, so I would have a good opportunity to get everything setup if you are interested.

Davood
10-21-2008, 10:04 PM
I sent an email before there were any replies to the thread !

I need teh helpz ! Mainly I need someone who is good at designing sql queries to do a sit down with me and help me figure out how to do some stuff I have planned :P

If you can admin/gm stuff . that's cool too, we can do some kind of trial period