PDA

View Full Version : Wikipedia

AndMetal
11-06-2008, 04:31 AM
I totally didn't realize EQEmu had a page on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EQEmu), but apparently we do.

I think it needs a little cleaning up, seeing how there is some outdated, incorrect, & bias information:
EQEmulator (or EQEmu) is a GNU GPL open source server emulator for the MMORPG EverQuest. Normally, the game is a service that players pay for so they can connect to Sony Online Entertainment's exclusive servers. With an emulator like EQEmu, anyone can run a server. EQEmu has apparently been in development since around 2001 or 2002. According to statistics on the EQEmu website, emulated servers see dozens of players online, quite below the tens of thousands seen on SOE's official servers.

At this time, EQEmu is not compatible with the most recent version of the client which is available through download with Sony's patcher. Some servers provide a way of downgrading, though EQEmu's officially regards this as piracy and does not endorse it. However, the most recent version of EQEmu will operate with the client available after direct install from Sony's Everquest Titanium-series CD's. Players will not be allowed to upgrade from that version, however, without breaking their compatibility.

The EQEmu community has recently implemented Fear for the emulator. Along with several other fixes that turned many user's away from the project.

The current EQEmu project is a Fork of the original project and now belongs to ProjectEQ (PEQ), started around August 2004. It is 'semi-open source' meaning the source is posted on EqEmu for download, but new code suggestions from outside the PEQ coders, is not of grand interest.

Anyone feel like updating (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=EQEmu&action=edit) it with better information?

Davood
11-06-2008, 10:15 AM
wow thats a pretty .. i dont know .. how do you say.. negative entry?

Flare83
11-06-2008, 01:03 PM
i cleaned it up a little bit. feel free to add ~

ChaosSlayer
11-06-2008, 01:22 PM
we should put more text there to say how much Emu loves SOE and how we stand on guard of soe intelectual property and ban 50-60 people a day for even a even asking how to hack client - just to be on a safe side =)

cavedude
11-06-2008, 01:43 PM
Who put those lies about ProjectEQ? That kind of crap angers me.

Richardo
11-06-2008, 06:23 PM
we should put more text there to say how much Emu loves SOE and how we stand on guard of soe intelectual property and ban 50-60 people a day for even a even asking how to hack client - just to be on a safe side =)

We're fine the way we are. We've co-existed with Sony for years.