PDA

View Full Version : a video by chance

liquest
11-20-2008, 05:42 PM
Ok i must be retarded because i try to follow the steps to make a server and i cannot i was wonering if there is a tutorial video out or if someone can make one that would be Killer.

~Liquest

unknownhost
11-20-2008, 05:48 PM
that would be sweet to have a install video!

however, its all i can do to get a peqinstaller installed, patched, and functioning so im definately not the one to be trying this! :shock:

if somone does this (even making a tutorial showing a step by step peqinstaller install would be awesome!) i hereby give my solem oath that i will beat about the head and shoulders with a plate armored gnome anyone who should make fun of thee for any funny looks ye might be havin!

liquest
11-21-2008, 05:06 PM
because there are atleast 2-3 people a week asking how to do this and there reffered to the Wiki but some people have trouble reading so a tutorial video would be more proper for those peoples

Secrets
11-21-2008, 09:41 PM
I don't know; you guys have PEQ's installer, and now you want a video showing you how to use something that was supposed to simplify an install process? Seems kinda silly to me, but i'm not one to judge.

liquest
11-21-2008, 10:15 PM
I don't know; you guys have PEQ's installer, and now you want a video showing you how to use something that was supposed to simplify an install process? Seems kinda silly to me, but i'm not one to judge.

I just want a video on how to do everythign from the start cuz i am retarted and cannot follow the instructions people claim that its easy as heck

unknownhost
11-22-2008, 06:07 PM
not trying to bash ANYONEs hard work in any way what so ever. people have definately slaved their collective nuts off for this project already.

but i think the problem lies in having outdatedguides with somtimes conflicting info and links to programs that will not work anymore. but even with a video its only a matter of time til that gets outdated also eh? :grin:

I know i recently tried to get a mates server running and before i realized it, following the links provided, i had installed the wrong version of perl and mysql. which of course led to a confusing list of issues which while ultimately did get fixxed, they were a royal "pia" for a permanewbie like myself. now to somone who has never done anything like this before even the PEQinstaller can be quite difficult for a complete novice to install.

then again, one might could look at it like this.

"if you cant get a server going with the already plentiful information provided, maybe you should consider holding on running your own server for awhile as things only get MORE difficult as a server admin fixxing bugs and having a player base rely on you to do so."

which, while "possibly" sounding slightly pompus and rude, might have a good point!
;)

the video guide would be a nice addition, yet even that could/would lead to issues with different operating systems following another OS guide, people having different routers than what whatever guide has shown, and probably a few dozen other quirks i cant think of atm...

Ikeren
11-22-2008, 06:57 PM
I think the bigger problem is a lack of prior knowledge.

I tried to set up my own server, following the steps as closely as I could. Several times. I wasn't able to be successful, so I began playing on someone elses server (notedly, the server I picked conformed to what I wanted more or less perfectly, so the concerns are limited)

I do not believe the problem to be out-dated guides; the guides seemed very good and very complete. However, the things required to set up your own server are (from my perspective) quite complex, and to expect to be able do them without any prior knowledge of the programming is a little ridiculous.

It's like asking for a video on how to build a computer, or perform a rather simple cosmetic surgery. If you are even capable of doing these things without formal training, you would want to spend an immense amount of time doing background research, practice, learning the tools and methods.

Reading a guide and thinking that as a result you should be able to create a working server is the same thing. I recognized I don't have the time or inclination to do the background research, and found an adequate solution. Requesting more detailed guides won't be a replacement for learning the actual tools. At least, I don't think so.

Richardo
11-22-2008, 08:46 PM
Try this amigos! :)

http://eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26531

unknownhost
11-23-2008, 03:58 PM
nice link big R!

reading through there i found myself thinking "how the heck did i mis this thread?!?!" hehe the titled misled me, i thought it was gonna be somthing for 3rd party server management or somthin and skipped it. :D

gonna definately try this out on another box just to see how she works!

Rhodan
11-25-2008, 12:36 PM
Well I just set up a server (did it before, about two years ago and didn't remember 99% of it) and I have to say that the problem is actually too much information. There are various ways to set up and multiple database sources and you end up mixing methods together and things don't work as expected.

There's also a problem with the peq installer's eqlaunch.exe. Its too small and doesn't run (for me and about five others I've seen describing the same problem) and a new admin usually thinks if something doesn't work then they are doing something wrong (98% of the time that's correct).

The other problem is that the information is spread across multiple sources and in many cases is exceptionally difficult to find in the wikki. Wikki's are great and all but their search engines are very weak.

In the end it turned out to be far easier to set up a peq server than I had expected. It boiled down to:

* Install Perl (don't bother with the older version as the peqinstaller says - you'll update peq before running the server anyway)

* Install EQTitanium
* Install Wampserver http://www.wampserver.com/en/
php, apache, mysql that just works! Important note - the default permissions has root with no password - google wamp root password if you don't know how to change this.
* Run peq server (with maps) installer
It will want you to show it where EQemu is installed, where EQ Titanium is installed (to get files from there), where the mysql root directory is (c:\wamp\bin\mysql\mysqlxx.xx)
Go to the project EQ forums and down at the bottom is the peq installer board, there's a stick for updates. Get the latest version and run it.
* configure your loginserver.ini and eqemu.config.xml as needed
run start.bat

* NOTE! a couple of windows will pop up (or three if you run minilogin). One of them will say its waiting for the world to finish - when that disappears another should replace it (zone). If nothing happens then quit the server (close the windows) and check your eqlaunch.exe - it should be about 220k. If its 148k then its no good. Download the eqemu zip from eqemulator (same version as the peq update!) and copy its eqlaunch.exe to your eqemu directory and try again.

That takes care of the software side - configuring the software is a whole different ballgame.