PDA

View Full Version : Titanium and Wine

cubber
12-13-2008, 01:10 PM
Has anyone had any luck since wine made it past 1.0?

I just tried installing the titanium client again and am still having the no model issue. I can get into the game fine and run around, set all my options and interact with the other "ghosts" in the world, just no models. It has to be a d3d.dll file that needs to be set as native or something?

The only other issue I can see is that I need to play it in windowed mode otherwise the mouse gets trapped in the center of the screen and I can only move it in a small 2" x 2" box.

Anyway I figured I would beat on this dead horse a bit more and if anyone cares to join me I would love some help to try to finally solve this one.

jenco420
12-13-2008, 01:34 PM
I never had much luck with wine and titanium but Cedega runs it with no issues except for lag when in windowed mode.

cubber
12-13-2008, 01:43 PM
gah cedega... I tried that once it was more of a headache than anything, and I could never get eq to work with it without the same no model issue. This was probably about 6 months ago or so, and my subscription ran out.

I see over at wineHQ they marked live as gold so I take it that that the newest version of EQ works fine in wine.

Maybe I will give cedega cvs a shot, since I do not want to get into thier subscription thing again.

Edit: scratch that I just read somewhere that cedega cvs has not been updated for quite a long time.

bushman77
12-14-2008, 11:31 AM
mabey use a differnt vid card?? just a though

renoofturks1
12-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Your problem is your lack of an NVidia graphics card. Most likely you have an ATI, which, unfortunately, has the worst linux driver's in the goddamn world.

cubber
12-17-2008, 01:51 PM
It is a laptop that has an nvidia card, I only use nvidia =)

laptop specs:

CPU Type Intel Core 2 Duo T9400 2.53G
Screen 15.4" WSXGA+
Memory Size 4GB DDR2
Hard Disk 500GB - 2 (250G 7200RPM in Raid 0)
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GS
Video Memory 512MB DDR3

Running Gentoo Linux AMD64 version with Wine 1.1.10 and nvidia-drivers version 177.82

I am using xfce4 desktop with a user account set up just for gaming with compositing and desktop effects turned off.

renoofturks1
12-18-2008, 10:15 AM
The wine website has a .dll you can DL to fix the model issue.

cubber
12-18-2008, 10:22 AM
I tried that .dll right after I installed the game and it did not work. I belive that .dll is for the newer live client.

renoofturks1
12-24-2008, 02:36 AM
Dunno then, I use Cedega and it runs fine on mine.

cubber
12-24-2008, 03:29 AM
I have a copy of crossover games maybe I will give that a shot before I jump into another cedega subscription. Wish I saved my old cedega binaries, however they never worked for my anyway. Must be newer versions.

Prefader
12-27-2008, 11:05 PM
I have Titanium working with wine, but I had to patch & recompile wine for it to work. From the bug report on the appdb page for EQ:

So while we wait for a dev answer about this the 'fix' that replaces the prior
'HOWTO' is as follows:

Add this line:

pCaps->MaxVertexBlendMatrices=0x4;

In file:

(your wine source directory)/dlls/d3d9/device.c

At function:

IDirect3DDevice9Impl_GetDeviceCaps(LPDIRECT3DDEVIC E9 iface, D3DCAPS9* pCaps)

Before returning (return hrc;), line 176 (as of 0.9.55)

Build wine as usual and happy Everquesting

"Works For Me". HTH!

cubber
12-28-2008, 11:13 AM
hmm I will have to give this a shot. Does it affect other games you have running under wine. I also run WoW and a few others. So I would want to make sure they still all work if I patched.

Angelox
12-28-2008, 10:35 PM
I've been fooling with this all afternoon, used to use Cedega, but really have no need for it other than to play EQ, and Cedega really doesn't support Everquest anymore - it just so happens they did at one time, so it still 'half-assed' works ( I never could get all the pixel shader-versions to work, and it was slow and choppy).
With Wine, I got all the way to the point where I get in the game but have no characters or NPCs.
this link (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=2939) helped a lot too.
I think my problem is the Eq Client does not see my Video card properly , as it as listed as 'Hal', which must be a 'filler' when nothing else is found.

OscarGrouch05
12-30-2008, 01:47 AM
both can be found on the net if you'll look you'll find them 80)
i have used both on xandros and ubunto linux system and had no problems running eq on them . i liked cedega until i looked at my credit card and found out the billing wouldn't stop so i had to tell the bank i lost my credit card and wanted a new number problem solved 80) i have both the newest version of cedega and crossover pro version plus older versions as well.

cubber
12-30-2008, 04:14 PM
Are you currently playing titanium on the newer version of crossover?

I have crossover games 7.1.2 that I can try. Anything special you had to to do get it to work or just install and play?

cubber
12-30-2008, 08:08 PM
Crossover-games 7.1.2 has the "no model" issue after installing out of the box and doing the regular eqemu playguide setup steps.

I will see if I can find some tweaks that may help. Install went fine and the game starts right up with the following command:

I installed the game in a bottle called EQ with winxp template:

~/cxgames/bin/wine --bottle EQ --cx-app eqgame.exe patchme

Other than no models the game seems playable.

cubber
12-30-2008, 08:32 PM
copying over the modified d3dx9_30.dll file linked on the wine site did not work. I don't have a copy of the regular d3dx9_30.dll file to test with as of yet. May have to install xp in a virtualbox to get it.

Angelox
01-03-2009, 11:17 PM
Here's an outline of what I did to get Wine and Titanium to work - I got this info from the posts at WineHQ forums (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=2939) ;
- Uninstall all Wine versions you have running
- Download and place this dll (http://angeliqe.com/d3dx9_30.dll) in your Everquest client directory
- Download and place this ini file (http://angeliqe.com/eqclient.ini) in your Everquest client directory (overwrite what you have).
- Download Wine Version 1.1.12 (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wine/wine-1.1.12.tar.bz2)
You need to add a line to one of the files in /wine-1.1.12/dlls/d3d9/device.c;
On around line 198, just before "return hrc;" add this new line:
pCaps->MaxVertexBlendMatrices=0x4;

Now save, then go back to "/wine-1.1.12/" and run "./configure" , then "make", and finally, su to root and run "make install".

This works much faster/better than with Cedega, in fact, it now works just as if it were running under Windows, with all shaders and shadows.

cubber
01-04-2009, 01:27 PM
I can confirm that the fix that angelox posted does work on wine 1.1.12 under gentoo.

However when I use the eqclient.ini file posted I am able to log into the game and play but I have all old school models. This is strange since in the file all the luclin modles are enabled. I also started enableing the pixel shaders, vertex shaders and shadows, then logged back in and it kept crashing at the character select. So now I guess its time to hunt down the perfect config.

Did you have this same issue angelox?

cubber
01-04-2009, 02:16 PM
I also have a problem with full screen mode. The mouse seems to be stuck in the center of the screen and you can only move it around in a very very small box like area. Mouse works fine in windowed mode.

Angelox
01-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Should work with yours, I saw where ATI cards give problems , but not NVidia. How about permissions ?
I just granted all permissions to the Titanium directory.
You also have dual core processor and I a don't (could be a factor).
Some people has issues with shadows, so that might be crashing you.

cubber
01-04-2009, 02:33 PM
I figured out the old school model issue. I did not have my server running and just logged into a random one that was kurnark only. So they must have been disabled on the server. When I logged into my server I have models using a fresh copy of the posted eqclient.ini file. I enabled sound and tweaked up my settings a bit but have yet to enable pixel shaders. All seems to be working now except full screen with the mouse.

I am also noticing that the mouse pointer location is a bit off in windowed mode. I have to click slightly lower than stuff to actually click it if it is small. Like the boxes in options.

Angelox
01-04-2009, 02:48 PM
I have the mouse issue too in windowed mode ( I like windowed better) - but works fine full screen.
What took away the "client crashing' for me was the new eqclient.ini I used from the link.

try loading your 'default_old' ui files, see if that might help.

I figured out the old school model issue. I did not have my server running and just logged into a random one that was kurnark only. So they must have been disabled on the server. When I logged into my server I have models using a fresh copy of the posted eqclient.ini file. I enabled sound and tweaked up my settings a bit but have yet to enable pixel shaders. All seems to be working now except full screen with the mouse.

I am also noticing that the mouse pointer location is a bit off in windowed mode. I have to click slightly lower than stuff to actually click it if it is small. Like the boxes in options.

cubber
01-04-2009, 02:54 PM
I do not have an issue with the mouse pointer being off if I use a windowed resolution smaller than my screen resolution. IE 1280x960 instead of 1680x1050

Would be nice to get full screen working though.

cubber
01-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Update:

I can use 1.1 pixel shaders

if I enable 1.4 or 2.0 I crash at character select

I can enable Use Advanced Lighting but it creates some wierd flashing colors in the background on character select also.

Shadows work, but I always found them to be a resource hog.

As for playablity , minus the above issues and the full screen mouse issue, it works just as good as it did on windows.

cubber
01-04-2009, 04:05 PM
I just found out I cannot see spell effects. I made a monk to test and never used spells. But after I made a cleric and shammy bot and noticed that I did not see anything they casted did I realize that spell effects were not showing.

I then created a necro and tried to cast and did not see the effects. Just heard the sound and saw the hp drop on the bat.

I have spell effects set to high density and farthest plus opacity is at 100%.

Do you also have this issue angelox?

Angelox
01-04-2009, 04:27 PM
I used to have problems like that with Cedega. I have Mandriva 2009 with an NVidia GForce 6100 card - I have Resolution at 1024x768 with desktop and eq client set to 16 million colors.
In my hardware setting for the "Graphic Card options", I had to enable Translucency, Use Hardware accelerated mouse pointer, Enable RENDER acceleration. (wasn't like that by default). I don't know if that helps the game, but you might want to try it out.

EDIT I can get everything to work on mine (all pixel shader versions, lighting, etc.)

cubber
01-04-2009, 05:05 PM
When you say graphics card options, I take it you mean a gui interface that configures xorg.conf for you? I do not see any of those settings in nvidia settings but it sounds like some of the settings you would manually add to xorg.conf.

I have RenderAccell set to true
I also have compositing set to enabled

The wierd thing is I can see the spell effect that shows on a character when the level up as well as when I #bot update my bots. Just nothing else.

Angelox
01-05-2009, 08:01 AM
I guess that's why I chose to stay with Mandrake (Mandriva) all these years; since they were the most 'Windows-like' , it made my migration from Windows to Linux much easier. 'mandriva-drakconf' is a graphical Gui for configuring things like Hardware and a few other things (since I suck at typing, I look for these things anyway).
If you're seeing partial spell effects, than it must be working - maybe you have something unchecked in your client config?
Did you try setting desktop and client to resolution at 1024x768 with desktop and eq client set to 16 million colors?

cubber
01-05-2009, 09:24 AM
Angelox do you mind posting your xorg.conf file. Should be somewhere like /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Angelox
01-05-2009, 09:51 AM
NVidia used to have their own generic Linux driver updates, which worked very well for me (Mandriva didn't always get my video driver right).
They probably still have it.

# File generated by XFdrake (rev 247269)

# ************************************************** ********************
# Refer to the xorg.conf man page for details about the format of
# this file.
# ************************************************** ********************

Section "ServerFlags"
#DontZap # disable <Ctrl><Alt><BS> (server abort)
AllowMouseOpenFail # allows the server to start up even if the mouse does not work
#DontZoom # disable <Ctrl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> (resolution switching)
EndSection

Section "Module"
Disable "dri"
Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
Load "extmod"
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx" # 3D layer
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard1"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
Option "XkbOptions" "compose:rwin"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse1"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse2"
Driver "evdev"
Option "device" "/dev/input/by-id/usb--event-mouse"
Option "HWheelRelativeAxisButtons" "7 6"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "monitor1"
VendorName "Generic"
ModelName "1024x768 @ 70 Hz"
HorizSync 31.5-57.0
VertRefresh 50-70

# TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output.
# 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync
ModeLine "768x576" 50.00 768 832 846 1000 576 590 595 630

# 768x576 @ 100 Hz, 61.6 kHz hsync
ModeLine "768x576" 63.07 768 800 960 1024 576 578 590 616
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "device1"
VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce 6100 and later"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "DPMS"
Option "DynamicTwinView" "false"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "screen1"
Device "device1"
Monitor "monitor1"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "layout1"
InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Mouse2" "SendCoreEvents"
Screen "screen1"
EndSection

cubber
01-05-2009, 10:17 AM
Not much different than mine:

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "X.org Configured"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
RgbPath "/usr/share/X11/rgb"
ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/misc/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/TTF/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/OTF"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/Type1/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "record"
Load "GLcore"
Load "xtrap"
Load "extmod"
Load "glx"
# Load "dri"
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
ModelName "Monitor Model"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
BoardName "Unknown Board"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
Option "RenderAccel" "True"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
Option "UseEvents" "False"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 1
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 4
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 8
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 15
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 16
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

Wont be able to fart around with this till tonight but maybe I need to try specifying my screen resolution in xorg.conf instead of letting X auto detect it. I see yours is set up that way.

So you do have spell effects then, hmm...

I also see that you have DPMS enabled do you know what that is for?

I use the nvidia-drivers package and it pretty much auto configs xorg.conf for you. I just had to do some tweaking after that.

Angelox
01-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Might be still a problem with the install package from NVidia, you might want to Google for those missing pixel shader versions, see what pops up.
Also try one more thing, can you replace your /Titanium/RenderEffects directory with a fresh one?

cubber
01-05-2009, 12:26 PM
A fresh one meaning from another install of titanium?

Angelox
01-05-2009, 12:37 PM
Yea, one that you know works - don't delete your old one though, just rename it or something (just incase)

cubber
01-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Hmm pixel shaders are working fine in WoW under wine. And all my native games fly, doom3 (Ultra Settings) Quake 4 (Ultra). NWN. In wow I average about 100-250 FPS depending on where I am and that is with all settings maxed out.

Could be something with the drivers I am using, I belive they are marked as unstable in gentoo which probably means they are the nvidia beta drivers.

At this point I am just happy to be able to play on my eqemu server again.

cubber
01-05-2009, 07:26 PM
I just duplicated my issues to the T on a different laptop with an ATI Radeon X1600. This is an Gentoo x86 based system with a dual core centrino.

Using a clean, hacked wine 1.1.12 with the hacked .dll file and eqclient posted at wineHQ.

Same issues:

-fullscreen mouse issue
-no spell effects

havent messed with the shaders but I bet I will have more issues on this than on the nvidia platform. The game is playable in a window though. Also note that I had to downgrade my ati drivers to get them to work right with wine. Before the downgrade it would hang up X. Need to use any ATI proprietary drivers before 8.500 to make it work. Currently I am using 8.493.

cubber
01-05-2009, 09:03 PM
After further testing on the ati/centrino platform I found the same pixel shader and advanced lighting issues as well.

Angelox
01-05-2009, 09:27 PM
See if you got this application; 'nvidia-settings' , should be able to just run the command, it usually is in /usr/bin/ I think it comes with the nvidia driver install.

cubber
01-06-2009, 12:05 AM
Yah that is pulled in by default when I emerge nvidia-drivers in gentoo. I have gone through all of those settings. Right now everything is on application controlled and pretty much default. I use that when I need to set up a dual monitor. I don't think it is an nvidia issue since I can duplicate all of the same problems on an ATI based machine.

I did however manage to cob up a somewhat backwoods style hack job work around for my full screen issue.

1. Go to desktop background settings and change the background to just black

2. Start the game in windowed mode and center it in the desktop.

My desktop resolution is 1680x1050 and I need to run EQ in a window that is 1600x1024, because if I run it in a 1680x1050 window the wine menu border on top of the window causes the bottom of the window to be cut off and my mouse to click in the wrong place. If I scale the window down to 1600x1024 the window fits perfectly vertically and I have 40 pixels on each side of the window. With the black background it blends with the black border of the screen and looks like I am playing the game in a letterbox. Before my desktop background was too distracting.

This is very tolerable until real fixes can be found.

Like I said its not pretty but it gets the job done. I have a feeling my spell effect problem is related to me not being able to use pixel shaders 1.4 or 2.0

More research and trial and error shall tell.

Hey at least we beat this dead horse till it flipped over a bit!

Angelox
01-06-2009, 07:04 AM
Makes me wonder why pixel shaders 1.4 or 2.0 didn't work with me before, but do now. I thought maybe it was Cedega, but must be something else.
I paid Cedega membership for over a year just because I wanted to use Eq in Linux, and really, they don't even support Everquest anymore, just have a few users that post ideas in the forums. Would be nice to try again with Cedega (just to see if that problem merges again), but I'm not going to give Cedega any more money since they don't support my game (money better spent to the Wine project).

cubber
01-06-2009, 09:21 AM
I don't see any need for cedega. I did the same as you. Paid for a year and fought with it more than anything. It never worked for eq and wow always ran better in wine. If I recall correctly the last time I tried cedega (~6 months ago) it had the no model issue on titanium and lagged horribly.

cubber
01-06-2009, 09:33 AM
My issues may also be dual core related. Both my test pc's are dual core and yours is not. Also you have an older geforce card, whereas the one in my laptop is pretty new.

When I get some time I may give this a shot on one of my older boxes with a single core x86 cpu and a geforce 7800 agp card. Just need to finish my gentoo install on that machine and get a sound card for it.

The older geforce cards use an older driver, and are not supported by the new one. For instance my game server runs gentoo and has a geforce 5900 fx series card and I have to mask any drivers past the 143 series of drivers.

That machine uses these drivers: x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-173.14.15

My laptop on the other hand needs to use the latest nvidia drivers so I use: x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-177.82

Angelox
01-06-2009, 02:24 PM
I was thinking it could be dual core too - problem is, there's much info on Everquest and Linux, but no info on Everquest Titanium and EqEmu, aside from what we post, so we got to blaze a new trail.
Dual Core has dropped a lot in price, so maybe this year I might get one, so I get experience in that area too.

cubber
01-06-2009, 02:39 PM
In order to play eq under wine with dual core you need to start it with the following command. Found this on the wineHQ site:

taskset -c 0 wine eqgame.exe patchme

I tried the game at first with just wine eqgame.exe patchme and it did play but was a bit slower than when I ran the above command. So I just created a script in my EQ directory called "start" that contains the above command.

then I just run eq by typing ./start in my eq directory.

The command just binds the game to one cpu. So I guess if you wanted to you may be able to run another instance of the game on the second cpu by using:

taskset -c 1 wine eqgame.exe patchme

From a separate EQ Titanium install of course.

Hopefully further testing will give us some concrete answers as to why these things are happening.

cubber
01-07-2009, 10:58 PM
I made a copy of my eq directory in my:

.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Sony/

folder called:

EverQuest-Box

I then changed my start script to the following:

taskset -c 1 wine eqgame.exe patchme

I had my first install running on the first core as normal, and logged on to the second install which ran perfectly fine on the second core with no performance hit whatsoever to either running game window.

I also have my AA set to 16x and my AF set to 16x in nvidia-settings. What a difference in texture quality.

Pretty nifty!

cubber
01-08-2009, 12:34 AM
Even better is the fact that Xfce4 has 4 virtual desktops. So I can run each instance of Titanium on its own desktop and just use ctrl+alt+arrow to switch over. Plus have a desktop with a web browser open for searches.

cubber
01-19-2009, 01:42 PM
I just compiled wine 1.1.13 with the pCap hack and it does not work anymore. I get no models again.

cubber
01-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Recompiling again, I may have made a mistake. Gentoo's portage may have overwritten my custom wine sources with the originals. Will report back after it finishes and I can test.

cubber
01-19-2009, 02:31 PM
It still works with wine-1.1.13 , like I said in my last post gentoo's portage over wrote the custom bz2 file I had because I did not digest it properly.

cubber
01-19-2009, 07:27 PM
I just built wine with win64 support and the pCaps hack on my 64 bit laptop and titanium starts up and plays fine. Still no spell effects and I still have the full screen mouse issue though. But it does work in 64 bit compiled wine.

Angelox
01-19-2009, 11:10 PM
That pCaps fix works so well, it makes Eq run just as good under Linux than it does under Windows. Wine really is impressive , so much better than when I first tried it out years ago.

Have you tried Wine-Doors (http://www.wine-doors.org/wordpress/) ? it will auto-install things like Directx9 and some assorted MS fonts. Also has a bundle of windows programs and applications.

cubber
01-19-2009, 11:32 PM
Nope havent tried it. I really have no need since everything I want to run under wine I have running without isssues except for eq. Which like I said is just no spell effects and no full screen. Which after playing like this for a while I am getting used to it. Though I am playing a monk, if I were to start playing a caster I would be missing spell effects.

cubber
01-25-2009, 01:42 PM
Let there be spell effects!

I finally got them working. I had an xp laptop I was working on for my nephew and installed titanium on it by just pushing over my linux install using winscp. After loading it I noticed that his windows pc did not have spell effects. So I did a clean install on the windows pc and then scp'd it back to my linux install and shazam spell effects.

Things to note:

I still cannot use pixel shaders 1.4 and 2.0.

I still cannot use advanced lighting without some wierd stuff happening.

I still cannot use full screen.

My card shows up as Direct3d Hal in advanced options no mention of nvidia anything. Could be the issue with pixel shaders and lighting.

I did not have to use the eqclient.ini file or the hacked direct3d file posted on the wine site. Just a clean windows install of eq with the pixel shaders set to false in the default eqclient.ini file.

I did use the pcap fix when I compiled wine.

cubber
01-30-2009, 01:29 PM
I found this neat app that lets you manipulate X windows. One of the features is removing window borders and title bars.

http://burtonini.com/blog/computers/devilspie

Using this I can run the game at full resolution in a window, then run devilspie to strip the window of its decorations which allows me to use alt+left mouse to move the window around and center it in the screen so the bottom of the game is not cut off and I don't have any funky mouse issues.

The game is still running in windowed mode just with out window decorations.

Here is a site that explains the usage http://foosel.org/linux/devilspie

you need to create a .devilspie directory in your users home directory. Then you set up scripts with .ds extensions.

My .devilspie/eq.ds file looks like this atm:

; Undecorate EQ
(undecorate)

Right now this undecorates all of the windows and any window that is generated while devilspie is running. I need to figure out how to customize that file to specifically only affect eq.

I have tried

(if
(is (application_name) "eqgame.exe")
(undecorate)
)

and

(if
(is (application_name) "wine")
(undecorate)
)

but they do not work.

One issue I do notice is if you run devilspie before you start eq you will get no decorations up until server select. Once you select the server and it starts to load the character screen you will see window decorations again. This is why I run devilspie after I have the game loaded and I am in the world.

cubber
01-30-2009, 04:16 PM
Here are a couple other scripts that I have been using:

This one starts the eqclient.exe file with the patchme flag and binds it to cpu0

I call it start and put it in your EverQuest folder.

#!/bin/sh

#start eqgame.exe on cpu0 and bypass the patcher.
taskset -c 0 wine eqgame.exe patchme

This launches the game in it's own X session and will give a boost in performance. You can launch this from the console without logging into your Window Manager to free up resources. This calls the start script above that is located in your EverQuest directory. Edit it to suit your needs.

#!/bin/sh

#Start EQ in a separate X session
X :3 -ac &
cd "/home/insert-your-user-here/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Sony/EverQuest"
sleep 2
DISPLAY=:3 ./start

cubber
01-30-2009, 04:48 PM
I just tested this and it works fine. This just combines the two scripts in my last post into one. Now I need to figure out how to use devilspie with this and it will be perfect.

#!/bin/sh

#Start EQ in a separate X session
X :3 -ac &
cd "/home/insert-your-user-here/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Sony/EverQuest"
sleep 2
DISPLAY=:3 taskset -c 0 wine eqgame.exe patchme

cubber
01-31-2009, 10:28 PM
This devilspie file only removes the window decorations from EQ. Still need to run devilspie after you get into character select.

Name the file EverQuest.ds and put it in your .devilspie directory.

( if
( and
( contains ( window_name ) "EverQuest" )
)
( begin
( undecorate )
( println "match" )
)
)

Angelox
02-01-2009, 08:13 AM
Wine comes with a configuration manager called 'winecfg' (at least the source package does) - run 'winecfig', and in one of the tab options, you can manipulate the application into a window and specify a few things like window size.

cubber
02-01-2009, 05:56 PM
I have setup winecfg. It is the first thing I do when I install wine. Devilspie does a lot more.

Sylaei
02-08-2009, 08:06 PM
I can't help too much but my dad is running windows xp and he too had the same mouse issue in full screen. I did some looking and couldn't really find a fix, but it was an xp issue, not an eq issue. My guess is that it has something to do with directx. He has since gotten a new pc and it is working fine from the start.

Anyway, hope this helps in some way.