PDA

View Full Version : N00B Trouble... Help please...

(R0(
07-21-2002, 05:17 PM
Okay... So here's the deal...

(I'm stupid.. so I hope I can explain this well...
:confused: )

I have 3 computers networked together (LAN) With a Router...
I have been attempting to host an EQEmu login server for a while now... But always get the 1017 Error - Can't connect or whatever... I set up everything like the Readme File said and nothing seems to work...I am not trying to play on the LAN, Just host the server from this one single computer... Any suggestions would help... If someone could type up a walkthrough or something that would be fantastic.. :D haha

Thanks,
(R0(

Baron Sprite
07-21-2002, 07:00 PM
Did you try the sticky posts' suggestions?

(R0(
07-21-2002, 08:44 PM
Yea... Read most if not all the stikys and still no luck... =\

donfi
07-22-2002, 06:41 AM
Try reading the router docs.

your prob. is most likely in the built in firewall not having the correct port numbers open for pass through. Only the router docs and a list of needed ports can help with this.

(edit) I should have asked before assuming but how do you have it set up. So that the world sees the router only and all computers behind it share its one and only external ip. Or does each computer have its own external ip. There are a couple of names for this depending on if the ips are maped to privet ones or are public one in the first place. (end edit)

Lurker_005
07-22-2002, 11:39 AM
So you just want to be able to connect with the computer your running it from?

Post your config files, and world, and zone screens. Also are you using minilogin, or connecting thru the public login server?

Info info info people....

Also check my sig for links to lots of helpful info including a newby type walkthru using minilogin

(R0(
07-22-2002, 02:51 PM
Well... I got it all working off the LAN... .But when I re-connect it things get screwy... :(

How would I go about disabling my router firewall if there is one?

Hmm....

(R0(
07-23-2002, 07:00 AM
Okay, I don't know what the heck I'm doing, haha

I am wanting to create a login server that others can login to as well as me... So I can be the cool, uber GM...

I have tried both IPs my computer gives me, But not 100% sure which I SHOULD be using... :)

I didn't think I would have to use the Mini OR Public login.. Now I am confused MORE!! hahahah Well... Hmm...

Hope someone can put something together with this, hehe

Sorry for not being too specific, ask me to do something and I will... Within reason... (That was a joke...) -I think...-

Thanks
(R0( <---Wannabe...

donfi
07-23-2002, 09:48 AM
Do a normal setup.

Have everyone point eqhost.ini to eqemu's login. They really do not want to release that info. It would voilate sony/veriant copy rights and prob. result in the emu being shut down via lawsiutes against everyone who ever developed for it(only a slight exageration).

Have them sign up for an eqemu account.

then fire up the server and clients.

eqemus login will validate and bounce the streams back to your world/zones.

You do not need yourown login. You prob. will need true NAT so that each person on your lan can have their own IP to the outside world and thereown set of ports. That way all clients get the port they are designed to except.

I may even be wronge about each needing there own set of ports and therefore true NAT. I am not sure of the design of the client and how wide a range of ports it can use.

I know that what I said is the case for Diablo II. You can not get two computers to play it through the same IP because the set of ports the client needs is very narrow. You can only have one Set of ports per ip 1.2.3.4:1. Ehat is each IP: port can only be used once at any given time.

I realize that none of this accually helps solve your problem. It may just explain why you are haveing it.

(R0(
07-23-2002, 09:34 PM
hahaha I am going insane... I give.. I give!! :)

Unless...

Well...

Someone is REALLY bored and want's to try to explain to mu stupid ass how I can host a server from start to finish, but I don't see that happening, lol

Thanks Everyone for the help, See ya... Maybe I will suddenly figure it out... But I think I will stick to servers made by people who know what they are doing, haha

(R0( <--- 100% total idiot

donfi
07-25-2002, 06:45 AM
I am not part of the dev team, just another user who got their server to work to a degree.

You did not give enough info. No one here knows what "screwy" means. That is a word that can mean anything.

How to disable your routers firewall: well all any of us can say is "read the fine manual" We do not know the manufacurer, or model of your router. And there is no way for any of us to know all the details of each and every router on the market.

You are expecting us to know an awfull lot with out you giving much in the way of details.

Some of us are just now beginning to learn this server ourselves yet are trying to help you. Unlike a corperation that can put together a "tech support dept." we have to help each other. In other words. I am only a week ahead of you when it comes to this server.

That means that no matter which emu you chose you are going to have to be able to communicate the details of your system to thoughs willing to try to help you.

In the beggining of my last post I tryed to explain what you need to do in general terms. In the end I tryed to tell you what some of the problems might be. I am sorry if this information what not what you needed but there is a trade-off in using open-source software. You are lossing all the things that ($50 + ($10*months)) * (as many custemers as will pay) gains in the way of full time empoyees. You gain a product that honestly trys to respond to your needs because you can help in its development yourself.

I saw someone else suggest looking at the "stickys"

You still need somethings yourself. One is patients and another is the ability to communicate. Both of these can be developed.

If you go back to EQLive have a good time. I think most of us really wish we could have helped you but we do not have Sony/Verents budget. Which means that the development will be slow and the support will be done by us banning toghether to figure it out. If you choose to stay let us know. I know I wish I could have helped you solve your problem.

(R0(
07-25-2002, 02:49 PM
Oh, haha I didn't intend to sound rude in any way, I wasn't saying that the EQemu project was crap, I was talking about going to other peoples servers who have it all running and stuff, haha Going to keep working on it... Hope I get it... Will read and re-read everyones comments and the stickys, Thanks again. :)

donfi
07-25-2002, 05:53 PM
Keep trying. I find I can only solve one small problem at a time.

I had a thought. You said you are behind a router with a firewall. Does each person on the LAN side of your firewall have a 192.168.x.x ip. If so then the read me says that the server does not support it. I suspect that the same is true of 10.x.x.x ips but no one has mentioned them that I have seen.

I only thought of this because I responded to a post earlier today with a quote from the readme on this issue.

If this is not the case then try to define the word "screwy" for us. What is the server or clients doing? What does the world.exe log window say or the zone.exe window? Tell us something that can be used to diagnos the problem.