PDA

View Full Version : Crash to Desktop

Ikeren
03-25-2009, 04:02 AM
I sometimes have random crash to desktop errors where everquest just shuts down,as if I had hit alt-F4 or clicked the little X in the corner. I'm not sure what causes this, but it seems some zones I'm more prone to having it happen.

Anyone suggest a program I could use to even start to try to determine what the problem is, much less fixing it?

trevius
03-25-2009, 04:27 AM
Normally random crashes are due to the multi-core CPU known issue. Check that section in the FAQ in my sig and maybe try some solutions from there. Normally you can fix it just by using compatibility mode, but if that doesn't work, updating CPU drivers, making sure your Windows updates are current and maybe a few other tweaks should get that fixed.

Ikeren
03-25-2009, 01:52 PM
Thank you. My laptop is a dell inspiron 1501, so no dual core (at least, I don't think there's a dual core)---but it does have an AMD Processor (and Vista), so I'll try your recommended fixes.

Ikeren
03-26-2009, 04:49 PM
Alright:

5. Select 'Set Affinity' and then chose CPU 0

I did this, launched EQgame exe, and it wouldn't let me log in; I'd get to Char select and crash every time. When I launched eqgame.exe and went back to restore the affinity to both 0 and 1, it had already automatically done so.

Next, I tried to set compatability to something other than Windows Server 2003 (Service Pack 1). All of them crashed me at character select.

Lastly; I downloaded the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer Version 1.1.4, from the site you linked to, (There wasn't anything entitled "CPU Optimizer" so it might be an out of date link), and now I crash on about 75% of zonelines instead of randomly about once every 2 hours and randomly on ~10% of zonelines.

Not sure what else to do; now it's working way less then it was before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ikeren
03-26-2009, 06:21 PM
Also; I looked into this, but it doesn't work:

Disabling CPU Throttling (AKA Cool N' Quite):
1. Right Click on your Desktop --- Check
2. Select Properties --- No properties, only personalize
3. Click the Screen Saver tab --- Check
4. Click "Power..." in the lower right --- here's where it starts to look different from what you suggest; not really sure where to go with it: http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/7636/bugsc.jpg

5. Select "Always On" from the Power Schemes Drop-Down box
6. Click OK on both windows.

So now I've downloaded Set Affinity 2 and forced eqgame.exe on to Affinity 0, let's see if this works.

And nope; still crashing. Figures I'd try to fix a random crash bug that happens at most once every hour or two and end up unable to log in at all.

Ikeren
03-26-2009, 07:17 PM
Alright, spend a couple hours using combinations of Affinity 0, Affinity 1, Affinity 0+1 and various compatability modes. Windows 95 wouldn't even launch EQ, and the only time I was ever able to log into EQ was Affinity 0+1+Windows 2003---and only once in 4 attempts, at which point I crashed while zoning.

I also have Automatically Update enabled, so I'm pretty sure all my windows update stuff is up to date.

Ikeren
03-26-2009, 09:49 PM
Did a clean install and am able to log in again; and the first thing that happened is I crashed to desktop as I mentioned in the first post; as if I had hit alt-F4. But I also know that all the afforementioned solutions prevent me from logging it at all. Quite the connundrum...any suggestions?

Andrew80k
03-26-2009, 11:38 PM
Gosh, I've been following your thread here hoping you'd get it worked out, because, frankly, I'm not sure what's wrong if you've done all the above and it's still crashing on you. You're not running your own server are you? You're using the LS? Have you tried updating your video drivers? I can't imagine that you'd be having this problem randomly if that were indeed the problem. Wish I could be more help.

blackdragonsdg
03-27-2009, 04:57 AM
Guess I am not the only one experiencing the random game crash. First few times it happened I thought I had hit alt+F4 by accident as I have it programmed to my mouse but after a few more times I know that isn't it. I know one thing for sure it only happens to me when I have multiple instances of the game running at the same time. I think it has something to do with the way Vista wants to rearrange things on the taskbar without asking.

I am using Vista x64 and have a dual core processor. I have updated graphics drivers, running dco 1.14 and have a fully updated OS. I am running Vista SP2 RTM Escrow build and it still happens so don't start hoping SP2 will solve the problem.

Ikeren
03-27-2009, 12:02 PM
Every solution I tried ended up with me crashing every time I got to char selection.

I did a full clean reinstall and didn't touch my CPU or Compatability, and was able to log in fine.

The first thing that happened? I got a plane of hate group, ~10 minutes in, no-error crash to desktop as if I had hit alt-F4.

The rest of the night went fine, which was nice.

This is all playing on PEQ (but I experienced this problem on The Realm) as well.

My video drivers are set to automatically update; presumably that's working, so presumably their up to date.

I only run one instance, and my laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1501. I'm not really good (or competent) with this sort of thing; one of my friends told me I know just enough to be dangerous and that is accurate.

Plane of Hate seems more hostile to this problem then other zones I've been in. Not sure why.

HurtinuDaily
03-27-2009, 04:02 PM
I have the same problem on VTZ, every once in a while EQ just closes completely for no apparent reason.
- Clean computer no virus's / spyware
- newest Nvidia drivers / Core 2 duo cpu / new sound drivers (tried disabled sound)
- all windows updates (vista)
- lots of memory to spare.
- tried with and without winEQ and EQplaynice

The only thing I noticed that has any effect on this is rebooting. If I reboot it will happen once and then I will be fine again for a long time. I am out of ideas, I guess I will just accept it as normal, there are quite a few other people on VTZ who have the same issue. There is not even anything in the event viewer.

Ikeren
03-27-2009, 05:41 PM
Sometimes I go a week without having it happen, but now that I've been doing Plane of Hate, plane of hate seems hostile.

I also know a mage that crashed out twice like this real quick in Burning Woods.

I think it's widespread but minor. I thought I was going to have no trouble fixing it; just change compatability, or download some file, but like I said, all that resulted in is me having to do a re-install.

Ikeren
04-03-2009, 12:00 PM
It seems to only happen in certain zones; could we perhaps keep track of which zones so we can figure out perhaps what's causing it?

I've only seen it in Droga, Nurga, and Plane of Hate.

necron99
04-04-2009, 02:32 AM
Ikeren

your laptop has an ATI videocard and you mentioned it is on auto updating, check your windows task manager for CLI.exe and or multiple copies of and shut them down. ATI is currently working on a fix ... I hope soon.

My random crashes ended once I shut down my CLI.exe and it's offsprings. No big deal really, just need to remember to do so after a reboot. Though the crashes only happened in Warsilk? Woods and Lake of Ill Omen. I have not been to the zones which have been mentioned thus far in this thread. Server I'm on, PEQ Grand Creation.

Ikeren
04-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Had 2 versions, closed them; will let you know how it goes.