PDA

View Full Version : EverQuest 2 Emu Project

Xan
04-17-2009, 02:44 AM
Hello everyone! If you clicked on this you must have interest in the EQ2 Emu Project, or at least I hope so, maybe... please? Anyways...

For those of you who don't know us we can be found at: http://www.eq2emulator.net/index.php - Website
irc.eq2emulator.net:6667 #EQ2Emu - IRC channel

Progress is moving along on the project as we are getting more content set up such as quests, npcs and tons and tons of items (thanks Bion). Currently you can connect to our "dev team supported" server TessEQ2 and check out whats going on. We also support multiple client versions! Thats right, no more "I don't have client # whatever, can i play still?" Granted if you were to patch to live this second you may have to wait till we update the supported list, a clean install off Kunark or TsO will work.

TessEQ2 Progress: The Queens Colony and the Outpost of the Overlord are nearly complete, as well as most of Timorous Deep. Mind you we are creating game functionality as we need it, so if something doesn't work like live its because we need to make ways for it to work still. We are currently working on all the Freeport and Qeynos areas and "hoods".

What we are looking for: Anyone that has interest in pushing forward with this project! If you can code C++ that would be a HUGE help. I myself learned enough LUA to script quests in little less that 2 weeks, we are using LUA for quests and spell scripts. If you simply don't want to code or script you can always collect data. Collecting data is one of the MOST important things we need for this project as well as the damn near easiest things you can do!

So drop on by and give us a shout if your interested in the "next generation" that is EQ2 Emu =P

~Xan EQ2 Emu Team

Secrets
04-17-2009, 06:13 AM
I highly suggest people check out this project. They have made leaps and bounds, and if you like EQ2 (I played it through 2004-2009) I believe this would be right up any coder's alley.

Joeyboots
04-17-2009, 11:54 AM
Yeah those guys are doing a great job over there! They've come a long way in the past year. Everyone should definitely check out this project.:D

drakelord
04-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Awesome, I love me some EQ2, :D

Xan
08-17-2009, 02:14 PM
*cough* bump *cough*

We arn't dead yet motherf*ckers... come get some EQ2!

drakelord
08-17-2009, 05:05 PM
Your website isn't working, :x

Secrets
08-18-2009, 07:38 AM
Your website isn't working, :x

Works fine for me.

John Adams
09-02-2009, 01:28 AM
Heh, Xan you little pimp daddy =)

I am totally excited that nearly every 2 weeks I troll eqemulator.net, I can count almost 200 new posts!! It is great to see such activity over here, though I admit an sinister jealousy that our little project lacks even a portion of this enthusiasm.

I am banking that once we release a populated database, that will change. At least I hope so, or I might have to come back to work for you guys. ;) J/k!

Secrets
09-02-2009, 05:10 AM
Heh, Xan you little pimp daddy =)

I am totally excited that nearly every 2 weeks I troll eqemulator.net, I can count almost 200 new posts!! It is great to see such activity over here, though I admit an sinister jealousy that our little project lacks even a portion of this enthusiasm.

I am banking that once we release a populated database, that will change. At least I hope so, or I might have to come back to work for you guys. ;) J/k!

I poke my head in from time to time. I'd have to say, EQ2Emulator is really getting there. You guys got some determination there, and that's gooood.

And, don't say that John! Never give up.

John Adams
09-02-2009, 02:29 PM
Heh, nah. I am a fighter as much as a whiner! I will never be done with EQ2Emulator - believe me, that's a truer statement than you would know ;)

I'm just looking for 20 posts a day from people who don't read the wiki, stickies, or use Search just like you guys have. I am sooo jealous! ;)

Ansley1
02-28-2010, 06:41 AM
Hows this coming along these days? Just wondering ...

ChaosSlayerZ
02-28-2010, 12:55 PM
http://www.eq2emulator.net

Bellos
05-09-2010, 11:14 PM
Sadly eq 2 emu is getting shut down by june 1st if no other devs join. They simply cant continue the way they are. So if anyone has any love for EQ period they should join this project. I personally believe EQ 1 emu has progressed to a state where it is Fully Playable and needs no further improvement and I would like to see many of the devs from EQ 1 emu move to eq 2 emu.

However i dont believe that will happen and it really sucks.

Guess im gonna have to move to a wow emu and learn how to work one to make a server. (probably not)

trevius
05-10-2010, 05:18 AM
That is sad to hear, but in reality, EQ1 emu and EQ2 emu have little in common other than sharing the name Everquest. While EQ1 emu may be further along and very playable, it is still not complete and can always use more work. Our dev team is also fairly small, but we are pretty dedicated and have been able to grow the project on the work that was done prior to our current team. Even if some of our devs did leave EQ1 emu, it isn't likely they would go on to work on the EQ2 emu project. Just because it might sound like the natural path of progression, that doesn't mean it is what would happen. Personally, there are other MMOs I would rather see emulated, if I was ever planning to move to another project.

Sorry if this comes off a bit harsh. But, you are coming here basically saying you think our devs should leave and go help somewhere else instead. You might as well be posting on the Sony forums asking for their devs to come help :P Not comparing us to Sony, but just trying to show how something like your post may not be taken so well.

Nothing against EQ2Emu, but this thread makes it sound like we owe them something:
http://www.eq2emulator.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&lmsg_start=0&t=2393#18825&sid=1e4eb1ad15129a21b0ded3819d54853c

mixxit
05-10-2010, 05:19 AM
Around January the project was very usable for custom content. It was possible to make a server with spells, pets, custom encounters if you were happy writing it in LUA. This project should certainly be supported and the team on it are second to none!

Bellos
05-10-2010, 12:51 PM
That is sad to hear, but in reality, EQ1 emu and EQ2 emu have little in common other than sharing the name Everquest. While EQ1 emu may be further along and very playable, it is still not complete and can always use more work. Our dev team is also fairly small, but we are pretty dedicated and have been able to grow the project on the work that was done prior to our current team. Even if some of our devs did leave EQ1 emu, it isn't likely they would go on to work on the EQ2 emu project. Just because it might sound like the natural path of progression, that doesn't mean it is what would happen. Personally, there are other MMOs I would rather see emulated, if I was ever planning to move to another project.

Sorry if this comes off a bit harsh. But, you are coming here basically saying you think our devs should leave and go help somewhere else instead. You might as well be posting on the Sony forums asking for their devs to come help :P Not comparing us to Sony, but just trying to show how something like your post may not be taken so well.

Nothing against EQ2Emu, but this thread makes it sound like we owe them something:
http://www.eq2emulator.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&lmsg_start=0&t=2393#18825&sid=1e4eb1ad15129a21b0ded3819d54853c

No i understand ur POV completely which is why i said it will likely never happen. I just meant it was complete in my opinion.

Sony should stop being greedy corporate pieces of shat and release a server for people to run custom ones and just charge a slightly less off a fee like 5 dollars per player royalty or somthing on both eq 1 and 2. Greed sucks in america.

No one involved in that project (except maybe me) feels entitled to the help of EQ 1 emu team, they would like it a lot im sure but arent demanding, just asking. I just hate seeing it fall apart because it has SO MUCH potential, newer graphics and engine ect... the only other MMO is like to see emulated is LOTR online and that will never happen lol. I really hope some miracle happens and like ive always said if i win a big chunk of change in the lottery (yeah i know its not gonna happen) id hire like 10 devs to work on eq 1 and eq 2 each so wish me luck at hittin that powerball

RichardoX
05-12-2010, 09:00 AM
It'll never happen I am affraid.

Taurinus
05-12-2010, 11:24 PM
From what I've seen, it is simply a lack of interest that is killing the project. Even if you did gather some devs to sink time into it, you still can't drag players into a realm that was not that all that great. You have to remember that EQ2, in general, was considered a letdown.

Regardless of where your opinion and compassion lay, you have to see that this is merely natural selection at work.

mixxit
05-13-2010, 07:19 AM
I have a pvp-rp max level 20 server running if anyone is interested :-)

WkimWes
05-13-2010, 09:50 AM
I actually loved EQ2, definitely wasn't the same as EQ1. It would be sad to see it get stopped. Wish I could help out, but I'm not a dev. :(

Rivkah94
05-16-2010, 11:09 PM
EQ2Emu is a great project, people just need to go work on it. EQ1 seems perfectly fine to me...The EQ1Emu Devs and Staff should help out at EQ2Emu. Come on stop being selfish you lazy bastards. EQ2Emu is even giving up untill it finds some more people because nobody wants to help out. Come on...its like trying to make a new born get a job. YOU HAVE TO help them get on their feet and walk, nurture them, and pick em up when they get down. Ha, its not like EQ1Emu just popped up on a couple ppl computers one day working perfectly and they made a site about it...COME ON PPL!! EQ1 is dieing...their is no doubt about that, its 11 yrs old for crying out loud, Help out teh next big thing EQ2!

trevius
05-16-2010, 11:36 PM
That whole post is ridiculous. One can only hope you were being sarcastic lol.

Our 2 projects have nothing to do with each other, really. It might as well be WoW emu or DAoC emu or even Aion emu asking for our devs lol. We have put years of work into this project, which proves we enjoy it quite a bit. Personally I never got into EQ2 even though I still have an unlimited free account for it and had anticipated it's release for long before it came out. The game just lacked in many ways IMO.

I don't know why you guys keep posting saying our project is finished, or about EQ1 failing. Our project has little to do with EQLive's current state. And if our project was complete already, you wouldn't see SVN updates nearly daily adding more features, fixing bugs, adding new client compatiblity, etc etc.

Unlike EQ1Live and EQ2Live, our 2 emu projects are not both paid for by SOE. So, while it may make sense to try to get EQ1Live devs to work on EQ2Live, it is a completely useless argument for the emulator world of EQ. We have nothing tying us together and never will. Expecting someone to stop working on what they have worked years to build and start working on something else full time just because it needs help, doesn't make much sense.

If you want to complain to devs about lack of work on EQ2Emu, you are complaining to the wrong project's devs :P Keep in mind that these projects are 100% volunteer work. So, calling people selfish for not doing what you think they should be doing actually makes you the selfish one.

KLS
05-17-2010, 02:15 AM
I see no reason to close the thread because of one fool.

The fact is other than the underlying sony network protocol the two games are as different as can be other than setting and name. You might as well order wowemu developers to develop it.

If anyone feels like they'd like to help them though I'd suggest it; though I feel the giving up just because interest hasn't caught on yet is a bit silly =p

Herrin_jerry
05-17-2010, 10:26 AM
I loved EQ2. I think the only reason I never got 100% into it was because I had so much time already invested in EQ1 and DAoC, so I didn't want to split it a 3rd way (even though I re-upped my subscription several times.) I don't think I ever made it past level 30 because I kept getting distracted by the storyline, tradeskilling, just plain adventuring through the world with it's awesome graphics! EQ2 was most certainly my cup of tea, the stars just didn't align to kick me from my other addictions (eq1, daoc, and the all important BEER!)

I've checked in on the EQ2 Emu website every few months and always saw that they were doing what EQ1 Emu was doing when they started, they kept updating to the live client, never locking in a permenant client for use. I shudder remembering those days, the couple weeks it would take to get the code updated, then the two weeks of playtime you actually got before the NEXT patch. I breezed through the EQ2Emu site the other day and saw they were locking in on a certain client soon or something, so if this is true I definitely see a good future for the project :-)

Shin Noir
05-17-2010, 12:52 PM
I laughed at this thread.

tommy_six_pack
12-06-2010, 09:03 PM
EmulateS here. I was in hopes that I could trouble a few of you about data specifically about packets. No further details given here in the thread, just looking for a dev to speak with a dev (from this topics project), about concepts. Looking to bounce an idea or two.