PDA

View Full Version : Server select screen road block

Bidon45
04-20-2009, 07:55 PM
MY problem is different than most "cant get beyond the server select screen" or "cant reach the character select screen" posts.. I looked, nobody seems to have the same problem:

When I get to the server select screen and click "Play Everquest" - the game either goes into "Not Responding" mode forever, or it just locks up and doesnt even bother to tell me not responding. If compatibility mode is off it goes into not responding mode, in compatibility mode it simply locks up.

Everyone elses issues seem to be getting booted back to the login screen after the server select.. Mine just straight up freezes.

I have tried all the fixes in the vista/dual/quad-core solutions page, got AMD optimizer, set affinity to CPU 1 or 0, etc.. It still does it.

My Login-server password and everything work fine on here, my only issue is the lock up (I'm running in windowed mode against my will, I cant figure out how to run EQ in fullscreen right off the bat, only IN GAME, but I can't get into the game so that is not happening. I saw someone else post an issue about windowed mode so maybe that is part of it? I don't know, help meeee.)

trevius
04-20-2009, 08:08 PM
If EQ is opening in windowed mode and you didn't set that yourself, then you are not running a legal copy of EQ Titanium. This also explains why you are having this particular issue. The wrong version of EQ will not work with the emulator, and will cause issues just like what you are seeing. We do not support illegal copies of EQ on these forums and it is a bannable offense to even discuss them or where to acquire them.

I suggest that you purchase a copy of EQ Titanium or Secrets of Faydwer and remove your current EQ installation and delete the directory completely before installing the legal copy.

If I am mistaken and you are trying to run a legal copy of EQ, then it sounds like you installed it over a pre-existing installation of Everquest and you can't do that. You have to install it to a brand new directory so that it is a fresh unmodified installation.

Aergad
04-20-2009, 08:14 PM
trevius you are wrong on high resolution systems eq loads in windowed by default that does NOT mean it san ilegal copy I bought titanium the day it was relased from eb games in a sealed brand new box and when it loads it loads in windowed mode

trevius
04-20-2009, 09:42 PM
trevius you are wrong on high resolution systems eq loads in windowed by default that does NOT mean it san ilegal copy I bought titanium the day it was relased from eb games in a sealed brand new box and when it loads it loads in windowed mode

Most likely if you bought Titanium the day it was released, then you were already playing Everquest prior to that. Maybe Titanium was the first EQ you ever owned or played, but chances are that if you got it on the release date that you bought it to play live and already had an active account.

If that is the case, then you would have already had Everquest installed on your PC. If so, then when you installed Titanium, it installed on top of your existing installation. And if so, then your installation has nothing to do with a fresh install of Titanium. This is because installing EQ over existing installations will keep most of your previously set configs, most importantly, your eqclient.ini file. So, if you were set to use windowed mode prior to installing Titanium, then that is what it would use after the installation as well.

Try deleting or renaming your eqclient.ini file now and restart EQ and see if it still loads into Windowed mode on your high resolution desktop settings. I bet it will go right to full screen, which is what it would have done by default on a fresh install.

Maybe if you were using some odd resolution that wasn't supported by EQ, it would somehow set itself to Windowed mode, but I kinda doubt that. From every fresh install I have done on Titanium or SoF, it always starts out in full screen mode until I change it.

I am making some assumptions here, but I think they are fairly logical assumptions. The issue Bidon45 is experiencing sounds exactly like what I remember a while back when many people used to try to use illegal copies of EQ that were not supported versions by the emulator.

Either way, legal copy or not, I already said that there could be other explanations that could cause something similar to this. But, I would rather not waste my time or anyone else's time here trying to help someone who is using an illegal copy of EQ that isn't the correct version to work with the emulator. If we can verify that their version is legal and is the correct version, then I am sure we can continue to try to get this problem resolved.

Also, I guess it is important to note that the Titanium (or SoF) installation has to be directly from the CDs or DVDs. It can not be from a download of any kind. Even the digital downloads from SOE do not work for the emulator, it has to be from the disks.

Aergad
04-20-2009, 10:09 PM
actually your conjecture and asusmptions are incorrect my girl told me about EQ i waited for titanium then started playing sorry to burst your bubble there but really trevius it would help if you actually asked instead of just getting an idea in your head and running with it.

I mean really waht possible purpose can it serve to call someone a thief before you even know the first thing about them.

Give me a few moments to find the right file you can kick into fullscreen by deleting a single file in your titanium directory i gotta remember which one though.

Compatability mode sounds like you are using vista and yes vista is buggy with EQ trevius dont argue my girl has issues with vista and eq all the time and so have i as well.

Give me a bit and ill get you an answer and hopefully a solution

trevius
04-20-2009, 10:43 PM
Seriously, Aergad, if you are going to fight with me even in support threads where I am just trying to help someone, then you really don't belong here. Debating issues is fine, but starting a fight in random support threads is getting out of hand. I am asking you kindly to stop. You know I have access to ban you permanently and yet you still want to pick a fight with me, lol.

actually your conjecture and asusmptions are incorrect my girl told me about EQ i waited for titanium then started playing sorry to burst your bubble there but really trevius it would help if you actually asked instead of just getting an idea in your head and running with it.

As I said, it was an assumption. Most people who buy an expansion pack on the day it is released are already playing the game prior to that.

Most of the time, I do just ask if they are using a legal copy. I also normally even make alternate suggestions of things to try in the case that it is legal. But, in this particular case, I don't think it is a legal installation. Could I be wrong? Certainly! Am I? Only Bidon45 could answer that for sure.

Even if it is an illegal copy, it isn't like I am trying to slander them by suggesting it. It is no secret that many members of this community do not use legal copies. We just won't support illegal copies or allow them to be discussed here. Even if the legal issues weren't a factor, it would still be a pain because the emulator only supports 3 certain versions of EQ out of hundreds or maybe thousands of versions. We should never have to waste our time trying to support the wrong version.

I mean really waht possible purpose can it serve to call someone a thief before you even know the first thing about them.

Give me a few moments to find the right file you can kick into fullscreen by deleting a single file in your titanium directory i gotta remember which one though.

The file is eqclient.ini or maybe the other file for video mode settings.

Compatability mode sounds like you are using vista and yes vista is buggy with EQ trevius dont argue my girl has issues with vista and eq all the time and so have i as well.

Compatibility mode is a feature on all Windows versions, or at least XP and Vista for sure. I know Vista is buggy, but his OS wasn't even specified yet. I don't personally run Vista, but I am well aware that there are issues with it and EQEmu.

Give me a bit and ill get you an answer and hopefully a solution

If you know the solution to his issue, then all you had to do was post it. There is no reason or excuse for starting an argument in a support thread about who is right. I don't know the answer to every question, but if I have any idea to possibly help with, I will post it. If some of those ideas are not completely perfect, then what does it really matter? I would rather see a large number of people trying to help even with ideas that show they actually care to help (even if they are wrong) than to have everyone afraid to help because they are worried about being yelled at for giving the wrong solution.

Aergad
04-20-2009, 11:34 PM
Im working on a solution actually eqc;ient.ini has the video settings but if he deletes that file it could totally fry his install, there is however a file that can safely be deleted that makes the client revert all back to defaults and then it remakes the file i just cant remember the name...

On vista change the compatability to off try the game ( I had to do it with EQ And SWG Live clients on my vista system) If that doesnt work put compatability into windows xp sp2 setting make sure its run as administrator and all that leave all other settings default in compatability mode.

try opening up the eqclient.ini file mentioned find windowedmode=1 change that to 0 (might be mistaken but windowed is part of the name of that variable)

Now that said check your firewall sounds like its snatching up the packets remember for eq you need to open tcp/udp ports even to play on some firewalls/routers the exact ports are easily found on the sony knowledgebase i just dont have time to find them right now.

If all that doesnt work well then pm me and i will come up with a couple more ideas lol

trevius my only issue was how you handled the thread you basicly flat out said he pirated his titanium in no uncertain terms. and That was my issue. his issue migh well just be vista all on its own vista has a great many issues with games

Bidon45
04-21-2009, 06:09 PM
I figured it out. I did NOT have any other version of real EQ installed, however - I DID have the trial (Escape to norrath) installed. It was installed in a different directory, but for SOME reason it was having an effect on how my EQ opened. I uninstalled and deleted escape to norrath, re-installed EQ Titanium, and it started working properly. So... Note to anyone else who runs into this issue, if you have escape to norrath installed, get rid of it first.