PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys, long time no see! (And a small request.)

vales
04-23-2009, 05:18 PM
Wow, so much has changed since I've been here, a while back. I'm glad to see things are still moving along quite nicely as well. I've recently purchased the Secrets of Faydwer pack (for 5 dollars US @ newegg! :shock:), and thought this would be an opportune time to try getting this going again.

Anyways, I've decided to dive back into messing around with EQEmu, and quite frankly, I think I'm worse off then when I started all those years ago. There doesn't seem to be any current and relative information on exactly what to do. I know the wikki was vandalised quite a bit back in the day, and some of the links/tutorials were updated. However, there seems to be a lot of confusion as to which guide to follow and things to download, as well as install. It's a mish-mash of old and new tutorials and the links to most of the programs have since then been updated ten fold

trevius
04-23-2009, 05:34 PM
If you are just trying to play, here is the playguide:
http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=PlayGuide

If you want to run a server, then the guides are still not perfectly accurate. We are hopefully going to get the website moved to some new web hosting soon. When that happens, I am hoping we can get the wiki all moved into Media Wiki and then have a few people work on it to get the guides all reformatted properly and also get them updated as well. At the very least, it is important that we get a current working server setup guide going. But, I have no ETA on when any of this is going to happen.

Also, I wanted to note that since you have SoF and SoF is still pretty new and still being finalized, you won't be able to log into all servers. You should be able to try any of them, but if you can't get in game, the server doesn't have it enabled yet. For now, I would recommend trying PEQ (The Grand Creation) or Storm Haven, as they both have SoF enabled and they both stay very up-to-date with the code. So, until more servers start updating, your best bet will be those 2 servers.

vales
04-23-2009, 06:02 PM
Oops. It got cut off. :/

vales
04-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Yep, been playing on PEQ since it's creation basically - I have all of my client CDs to prove it, lol. I've missed so much as far as this game is concerned, and it was a real priviledge to play on PEQ again. Loved every minute of it. :D

I guess I can wait until the move. But I used to run a sandbox server for testing certain quests/mobs/zones with a handful of friends. It would be real handy to get this back up as I've assembled the Old Farts Union to play once again (getting that done was a chore in itself since WoW sucked them in pretty bad, lol).

If a quickie totorial could be posted for now, I would wash your car for a year. I'm pretty knowedgeable about the inner workings of it all, but for reason, it will not compile for the life of me.

I've downloaded the 64-bit MySQL (mysql-5.1.34-winx64), Perl64 (ActivePerl-5.10.0.1004-MSWin32-x64-287188 ), VC Studio 2008, and done the checkouts from the googlepages for PEQ and EQEmu.

For the checkout folders, I have:

Source
http://projecteqemu.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/EQEmuServer
PEQ Database
http://projecteqdb.googlecode.com/svn/trunk
PEQ Quests
http://projecteqquests.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/quests

I've set and added the directories in VC (lib and includes). When I import the project file (Server.sln - 6 project files) from the Source folder and build it, only EMuShareMem.dll seems to be the only one that successfully compiles - 1 successful 5 failed.

Any do's and don'ts or tips you can give me? Was the 64bit version of Perl compatible with all this? I do remember having to copy over the spells.txt and one other file. I also the Maps and Quests.pl I have downloaded in the server folder ready to go.

trevius
04-23-2009, 06:26 PM
You can download the binaries here directly:
http://code.google.com/p/projecteqemu/

Just get the Rev408.zip and you won't have to worry about compiling anything as long as you are running on Windows.

Most of the rest of the info you need should be in the server setup guide here:
http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=ws992mysql5

If you need help at any point along the way while following that guide, feel free to ask :)

vales
04-23-2009, 06:49 PM
I guess you don't need your car washed then? ;)

I've tried that, using the Rev-408 Bots version. I get a big fat:
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/8939/perlerror.png

I've already installed both 32 and 64-bit versions of Perl starting from version 5.8 all the way up to 5.10. I've cleaned the registry and installation directories as well. I'll try one more time I guess.

I'm so close, I can smell the orc stench from Crushbone.

circuitdragon79
04-23-2009, 09:13 PM
This may help...or maybe not...but worth a look eh?

http://www.projecteq.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5264

vales
04-24-2009, 02:46 AM
Yep - already checked that. Like I mentioned above, there's just too much of a mix up with what files need to be downloaded and run to get everything working. I did manage to get the World.exe to run, but now it won't see the Login.exe. *sigh* I remember the old .xml config file was not even "complete" from a while back, and I'm beginning to suspect the same. There needs to be a binary folder release that has everything included in it other than the database for the sake of everyone's sanity.

I've already downloaded the 408 binaries and set everything up. Only problem is that the old 408 database is gone from the SVN. Now, there's only Rev438 and the 438Rev.sql file which won't even commit in mysql.

So basically, I have a bunch of files and installers that can't even be run with each other. It's not really newbie friendly to say the least. Even for someone who has come back after all this time, it's nearly impossible to even get it running.

All I want is a EQEmu server with a PEQ database just to reminicse about the old days, but it's really starting to be more of a headache than anything, really.

trevius
04-24-2009, 04:01 AM
Well, just an FYI, there hasn't been any required SQL changes for since revision 362 as far as I can tell. So, you should be perfectly fine running mismatched revisions of source code and the database as long as you aren't running anything either the database or source code that are older than that. But, the ones you have should be perfectly fine together as far as I can tell.

The only pre-packaged stuff is a mini-login setup for a private server (mostly for LAN play) that Leslamarch created. I don't have a link to it offhand, but really the public one shouldn't be too hard to get going if you keep at it. Those perl problems can be a bit of a pain, but they have all happened before. Just need to find the right thread explaining the right fix for your issue. You may want to do a file search for that perl58.dll file and just delete all instances of it, uninstall perl and then install it again and see what happens.

vales
04-24-2009, 04:33 AM
Well, just an FYI, there hasn't been any required SQL changes for since revision 362 as far as I can tell. So, you should be perfectly fine running mismatched revisions of source code and the database as long as you aren't running anything either the database or source code that are older than that. But, the ones you have should be perfectly fine together as far as I can tell.
Ah alrighty. I'll give that a shot. :) Usually, there's some huge database changes that can only be run when it meets a certain revision requirement, so I wasn't sure in this case.

The only pre-packaged stuff is a mini-login setup for a private server (mostly for LAN play) that Leslamarch created. I don't have a link to it offhand, but really the public one shouldn't be too hard to get going if you keep at it. Those perl problems can be a bit of a pain, but they have all happened before. Just need to find the right thread explaining the right fix for your issue. You may want to do a file search for that perl58.dll file and just delete all instances of it, uninstall perl and then install it again and see what happens.
Yep - ran that and installed it. Wasn't quite what I was looking for. ;)

I got everything set up so far, though with PEQ and EQEmu. What I ended up doing was download the PEQ Installer and updated it with the update packs. This installer had everything I needed to get everything up and running - the server even showed up on the Login Server list! :-D

I didn't use the Perl and MySQL installer that came with the package, however. But everything worked fine. There aren't huge changes from that revision of MySQL to the most current version, so I just kept my old installation of that. Same with Perl. The installer did have the configuration files and everything else. Then I just carefully replaced it with the 408 revision and sourced in all of the SQL files up until then.

So now I'm trying to find out what it is exactly that was wrong so I can get everything together for a write up. This way, it can be documented much easier for those people wanting to start off just like I did.

Now if I can only get the source to compile, then I'd be all set! LOL. :rolleyes:

vales
04-24-2009, 02:33 PM
Sorry for the bump, but I had a question.

In what order do I need to source in the SQL files for PEQ? The tutorial isn't descriptive on that part. I found that if I source in peqdb_1129Rev438.sql, things get pretty broken. Is this not the whole sql file? Or am I missing a step? Just trying to weed out the unecessary steps since there's different explanations telling me otherwise.

If someone could explain in which order and what files to source in, I'd be very appreciative. :)

vales
04-24-2009, 02:42 PM
Woops. Forgot to mention this is with the bots. :)