PDA

View Full Version : Steam Everquest

Drox69
05-06-2009, 10:43 PM
Is there a way to Run emu on Steam cause i just bought the SOF clint and downloaded the kma and for some reson when i get to the log in screen i can type and log in but it takes forever and doesnt do anything ??? Could i get some help plz

trevius
05-07-2009, 12:21 AM
What exactly is steam and what is kma?

KLS
05-07-2009, 01:34 AM
www.steampowered.com

I just tried it and had no problem with using steam with the game, even the overlay works (which is more than can be said for EQ2!). If you're really having trouble you can run it outside of steam by creating a shortcut to the eqgame.exe with the argument patchme for ex:

"C:\Everquest\eqgame.exe" patchme

Secrets
05-07-2009, 04:55 AM
What exactly is steam and what is kma?

Steam is by Valve, the content delivery system used with games like Half-Life, Left for Dead, and other games -- they sell EverQuest Secrets of Faydwer on there. KMA is a version of KingMort's server that this member of the community has made up in his own head. Hope that clears some things up. ;)

trevius
05-07-2009, 05:12 AM
Gotcha lol. I know what Steam is, but I thought it only worked for their games. I thought he must have been talking about something else. If the version of SoF from Steam matches the retail DVD release perfectly, then it might be a good option for overseas players to use it. If KLS says it works, then I guess it probably works. If we can verify that the version from them is the right one, then this might be a nice alternative for people.

Though, the original poster in this thread describes an issue that sounds exactly like what happens when I try to connect my EQLive client to the LS. So, maybe it is a patched version after-all. My guess is that when KLS said she tried it, she meant she was running the Steam tool in the background while playing her normal DVD installation of SoF.

vales
05-07-2009, 12:54 PM
www.steampowered.com

I just tried it and had no problem with using steam with the game, even the overlay works (which is more than can be said for EQ2!). If you're really having trouble you can run it outside of steam by creating a shortcut to the eqgame.exe with the argument patchme for ex:

"C:\Everquest\eqgame.exe" patchme

That's awesome to know. Most of my friends are on Steam and they'll be happy to know this. :)

I absolutely LOVE Steam. Most of their games don't have the DRM that retail copies have (yes, even Sony's crappy SecuROM). Plus, whenever you're playing a game and you don't get knocked to the desktop via IM, it's always a plus, lol - love the overlay system.

The thing that's also great that many people don't know about is that once you've purchased a game, you have options to back it up. There's a plethora of selections where you can decide on how many parts you want to break it up, etc. Like, 4 650MB CDs, 2 DVD5's, etc. There's nothing worse than getting a game, downloading 2+ GB patches and then hosing your system only to have to download it all over again. This makes it sooo much easier. Not to mention with Steam Cloud, it remembers everything so I can log in anywhere and it will remember my game settings and stuff, which is awesome.

The only thing I absolutely HATE about Steam is when they have those sales where you can buy something (or a whole series) for 66% off. Orange Box was only 10 bucks last week, and Left 4 Dead was free to play on the weekend. Plus, it's only 20 bucks since the Game of the Year edition came out. Those bastards.

LOL. :-D

KLS
05-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Are you kidding, those sales are the only reason I have any of their games =(

And yeah I just pointed steam at an existing install, installing through steam can depending on the game auto-update it and might cause some issues.

vales
05-08-2009, 12:28 PM
That was a bit of sarcasm on my part, hehe. :-D

Devastate1980
03-28-2010, 02:50 PM
Well i just bought SoF off of steam and am having the same issues with it saying logging in to server but never actually logging in, anyone know more on this yet?

trevius
03-28-2010, 07:46 PM
From the news on the front page:

The client currently can't even log into the EQEmu Login Server yet, but we are working on that and hope to have that working soon.

It already works for the EQEmu Open Source Login Server, but not on the public Login Server that still runs old LS code. Rogean said he is already working on updating the Public Login Server, so hopefully it will work soon. When it does work, you will probably have to set your eqhost.txt file to use port 5999 for SoD instead of the normal 5998. We will give more info on that once it is functional with the Public LS, though.

dannym3141
04-03-2010, 08:26 PM
I know this guy's problem:

Steam actually says it comes with a version of the SoF client too. It's visible in the steam list but when i search for the directory all i can see is one everquest directory. That everquest directory seems to be the SoD client.

Does anyone know how to get to the SoF client that steam gives you access to? Does it perhaps run from the same directory with a command line to make it SoF? Is there another exe file which is the SoF one?

Summary:
SoD steam deal comes with SoF client. How can we get to it/launch it manually without going through steam, the single everquest sub-directory under the steam directory eqgame.exe is SoD not SoF.

trevius
04-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Well, the SoF download that comes with Steam is something that really shouldn't even be in there. It probably is just the same download. If so, that may be good, because it would give you an extra backup download if you wanted it, or whatever.

There really isn't much of a need to get SoF from Steam anyway IMO. Even though SoD doesn't currently work with EQEmu LS, it should work pretty soon (whenever Rogean gets it done). Once it does, the SoD client should be nearly as playable as the SoF client.

Though, servers will need to update their source code to allow the new SoD client. Any server that stays current will be able to allow SoD clients right away. I know PEQ and Storm Haven stay very current. Also, a couple of the other popular servers are planning to update soon as well, so many of the popular servers should be supporting SoD soon if they don't already.

Even if Steam's SoF download was actually SoF, it probably wouldn't be the same version as it was from the SoF retail disc, which is what EQEmu is compatible with. I would recommend just doing the SoD install and wait for Rogean to update the Public LS.

Iamjack
04-21-2010, 01:39 PM
so steam download client will work on EQemu server like the CD one right?

Andrew80k
04-21-2010, 04:43 PM
so steam download client will work on EQemu server like the CD one right?

Yup. Straight out of the box, errr, off the pipe, errr, from the wire... Yes.