PDA

View Full Version : Complete noob

trixykix310
07-11-2009, 12:48 PM
Hello, I have a real minor issue and i was wondering if you guys could help fix it. When I take the necessary steps to play EQemu I do all of the following steps correctly except the eqhost.txt. I'm not sure if the explanation was too vague for me but this is what i have written down.
[LoginServer]
Host=eqemulator.net:5998

The error i'm receiving is "Error EQHOST.TXT could not be found. Please help

trevius
07-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Make sure you aren't accidentally saving the file as eqhost.txt.txt since it might do that if you do a "save as" instead of a normal "save" after editing the file. If you are still having a problem, you can just delete the one you have in your eq folder and make a new text file with that in it and save it as eqhost.txt.

trixykix310
07-11-2009, 04:48 PM
Yep, I'm still having the same error. Should i try reinstalling the game? I did all of the steps correctly but this step is the only issue

trevius
07-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Are you running Windows Vista? Or, maybe you have your folder options set to not display known file types? Make sure that when you save the file, you save it as eqhost.txt using notepad and when you do, make sure that you set the "Save as type:" field to "All Files" so it doesn't add an extra .txt to the end of it. Also, make 100% sure that you don't have any extra spaces or carriage returns in your eqhost.txt file. Even if there is an extra space at the end of either line or if there is a return after the last line, it will cause it to break.

Rynet
07-13-2009, 11:08 AM
Vista is the devil.

Yeormom
07-13-2009, 01:58 PM
Vista can be difficult for those not computer savvy or those still using a 486 processor. Only thing Vista could impact on this setting is if you have UAC enabled. In which case, you need to run notepad.exe as administrator and you can then save and overwrite the file. Hidden file extension applies even as far back as Windows 2000.

wwazman
07-13-2009, 03:09 PM
sounds like it may simply be in the wrong directory?
It should be in c:\program files\sony\everquest

or in Vista.. find main Everquest directory and save there. ;)

trixykix310
07-13-2009, 07:46 PM
Are you running Windows Vista? Or, maybe you have your folder options set to not display known file types? Make sure that when you save the file, you save it as eqhost.txt using notepad and when you do, make sure that you set the "Save as type:" field to "All Files" so it doesn't add an extra .txt to the end of it. Also, make 100% sure that you don't have any extra spaces or carriage returns in your eqhost.txt file. Even if there is an extra space at the end of either line or if there is a return after the last line, it will cause it to break.

I'm running Windows xp. I'm not sure how to switch my folder options to display known file types. I saved the file as eqhost.txt using notepad and selected the "all files option". I don't have any spaces or carriage returns in my eqhost.txt. I'm not sure what the problem is but it's still repeating the same message in my original post.

gaeorn
07-13-2009, 08:51 PM
Have you made sure you are saving it in the same directory as eqgame.exe?

trixykix310
07-13-2009, 09:11 PM
Have you made sure you are saving it in the same directory as eqgame.exe?

Yes, it's in the Everquest folder

trevius
07-13-2009, 11:40 PM
Do you have another copy of EQ installed anywhere on your PC? If so, sometimes that can cause problems. I know for sure that I have heard of people having issues trying to run EQEmu while having the Everquest Trilogy trial installed at the same time. If so, try uninstalling the trilogy and installing Titanium again and see if that helps.

Also, make sure that when you save the file, you are saving the name in all lowercase such as eqhost.txt. I am not sure if that would make a difference, but definitely worth verifying.

gaeorn
07-14-2009, 07:53 AM
Error EQHOST.TXT could not be found.

If this is the error message you are still getting, then I see 3 possible reasons:

the file is incorrectly named
the file is in the wrong directory
the file permissions prevent eqgame.exe from reading it

The simplest way I can think of to avoid all of these issues is to uninstall and reinstall Titanium and then edit eqhost.txt in the Titanium installation directory rather than creating a new file. This prevents any chance of errors with the name being incorrect or with permissions somehow being messed up. The only remaining chance of error is if you had multiple EQ installations and accidentally edited the wrong eqhost.txt.

bufferofnewbies
07-14-2009, 12:33 PM
I'm running Windows xp. I'm not sure how to switch my folder options to display known file types.

Goto Control Panel
Goto Folder Options (I use a different version, so this may require another step to find).
Click the 'View' tab.
Scroll down under Files and Folders > Hidden files and folders
Select the 'Show hidden files and folders' button. (its an either/or selector, so the old will disappear when you do.)
Click Apply at the bottom.
Click OK.
Finish off your Jack and Coke.
Relight your pipe.
Oh wait.. those last few were for me alone, sorry.