PDA

View Full Version : Cogent Communications

newmy51
08-06-2009, 08:44 PM
I use PeerGuardian2 almost without a moment's exception while there is any network activity on my system. I began experiencing issues with any eqemu server in which logging in would just loop back to the login screen without loading any server, no matter which one was selected. I described my problem in the irc and was told I had a bad install and to reinstall, which I foolishly did, only to experience the exact same connectivity issues. I later discovered that PG2 was blocking an entity called Cogent Communications which was directly responsible for my inability to connect to eqemu servers. I'm aware that, depending on the list(s) one decides to use, PG2 can be extremely overprotective, but I'm only using bluetack 'lvl1' and PG's own 'ads,' 'spy,' and 'p2p' lists, which only weed out known threats and IPs associated with advertising, spyware or anti-p2p. If Cogent Communications is among those blocked, I would very much like to know which of those categories it falls into and why it's part of eqemu in the first place.

cavedude
08-06-2009, 10:28 PM
Cogent is a major internet backbone... It handles traffic of all sorts and types. PG blocks IPs by ranges, and not individually so even with the basic lists you'll get a ton of false positives. Just right click the blocked IPs and add to your permanent list. I have to do that daily while browsing and using the web, and I too have just the basic lists.