PDA

View Full Version : Perl 5.8 5.10, lions tigers, oh my!

Irreverent
08-20-2009, 10:16 AM
Ok, just was updating from v774 to 884 and getting confused error.

I'm using the binaries from the site.

in 774, I had to go to 5.10 because it said it was missing.

However, upgrading to 884 now its saying its missing perl58.dll

Which is it? When I try to install 58 and run now it says can't find common_len in it.

Ok, help please!

Shiny151
08-20-2009, 10:23 AM
Had this EXACT problem(s) last night when installing another test server on my laptop to play with.

I solved it by uninstalling Perl completely and then nuking the c:\Perl folder.

Reboot...then installing ActivePerl-5.8.9.825-MSWin32-x86-288577

Found here: http://downloads.activestate.com/ActivePerl/Windows/5.8/

After that I used the package manager to install DBI, DBD-MYSQL and IO-STRINGY.

Wala...both of those issues disappeared after rebooting and the server fired up just fine.

So_1337
08-20-2009, 10:51 AM
Shiny's advice should work for you, but you might also give a look and make sure there isn't a version of perl58.dll in your windows/system32 folder. I know some people have advised that as a solution in the past, and maybe it worked for them, but it wound up screwing a friend of mine up for a month or so =)

Irreverent
08-20-2009, 10:57 AM
His solution worked perfectly. Thanks team

Capheus
08-21-2009, 08:20 AM
This problem seems to come up often. In the past year I have installed Perl twice and both times have had errors. In both cases I never had Perl installed or I was installing off a fresh format and windows reinstall.

The first time I installed Perl 5.8.9 and it gave me errors. So I uninstalled, deleted and reinstalled with 5.10.0. That didn't work so I went to 5.8.8 and that worked.

The second time I installed 5.10.0 and that didn't work. Did 5.8.8 and that didn't work. Did 5.8.9 and that worked.

On my other computer I did 5.10.0 and that worked on the first attempt.

So what gives? What is with the random success rate on version X.X.X?

Shiny151
08-21-2009, 10:21 AM
This problem seems to come up often. In the past year I have installed Perl twice and both times have had errors. In both cases I never had Perl installed or I was installing off a fresh format and windows reinstall.

The first time I installed Perl 5.8.9 and it gave me errors. So I uninstalled, deleted and reinstalled with 5.10.0. That didn't work so I went to 5.8.8 and that worked.

The second time I installed 5.10.0 and that didn't work. Did 5.8.8 and that didn't work. Did 5.8.9 and that worked.

On my other computer I did 5.10.0 and that worked on the first attempt.

So what gives? What is with the random success rate on version X.X.X?

Yep I agree. I had this happen too. On a fresh/clean install of XP on my desktop, Perl version 5.10.0 worked perfect. I tried it on my laptop with no prior version and I got the .dll error. The version that ended up working on my laptop was version 5.8.9. The only difference was the version of the Emulator I installed. I'm no programmer but perhaps it has something to do with the version that is installed on whoever compiles the code for the emulator?

joligario
08-21-2009, 12:20 PM
...perhaps it has something to do with the version that is installed on whoever compiles the code for the emulator?

That is exactly it. Since I work a lot with the PEQ database, I just use 5.8.9.826 (or whatever the version was) and download the binaries compiled by cavedude.