PDA

View Full Version : Loot Lag

Irreverent
08-30-2009, 07:27 AM
Anyone else had a problem with looting? It sometimes takes 5-10 seconds after you click on the corpse to get the loot screen. Doesn't always happen, and people in a different zone don't get the problem either.

Any thoughts? Very strange, but very annoying.

Rikon
07-19-2015, 10:06 AM
Sorry for the necro of this. My players are complaining heavily about lag during looting. I've noticed it too, where I can only loot 1 or 2 items before having to right-click again to loot.

07-19-2015, 10:51 AM
You might be having issues with database saving.. you should be watching the cpu/load of the server.

Rikon
07-19-2015, 02:21 PM
CPU is fine. Never goes above 6% usage. RAM flictuates , but is around 40% (6 GB)

Uleat
07-19-2015, 03:02 PM
I think there is a timer associated with corpse looting.

Clicking too soon would cause the loot action to fail and closure of the corpse window.

Lag could cause two packets to be processed in the same cycle..and trigger a wait-timer failure.

Is this a normal solo/group looting action? Or, is it associated with a raid or guild?

Rikon
07-20-2015, 08:02 AM
Solo.

Are there logs or some other place to see where things might be getting hung up.

Also, I apologize, I realize this is the Windows section. I run Linux, but the issue seems to be the same.

provocating
07-20-2015, 08:20 AM
Is there a common denominator here? Has everyone recently updated their code base?

Rikon
07-20-2015, 10:46 AM
Is there a common denominator here? Has everyone recently updated their code base?

I'm not sure I follow. The only common denominator is that each character seems to have problems with looting and selling. I've verified it on my own. It hangs for a while, or lags out. It's made the game nearly unplayable by some because they are hung for awhile. I'll see if I can grab a video capture.

provocating
07-20-2015, 10:57 AM
I definitely do not have any of those issues but my code base is older, I would think it was an update. Need to pinpoint which update caused it, so a time frame would be nice.

Rikon
07-20-2015, 12:58 PM
I stood the server up less than a month ago. Thanks for the help.

provocating
07-20-2015, 01:03 PM
Oh I see, this is a necro thread. So it may just be isolated to your setup. I will seriously look to make sure you do not have bad latency, number one cause of this.

Uleat
07-20-2015, 05:26 PM
Adding to what image posted, have you noticed this behavior during other activities?

Rikon
07-21-2015, 08:07 AM
Adding to what image posted, have you noticed this behavior during other activities?

This behavior has occurred since I first compiled the server, but severity seems to fluctuate. I'm trying to see if I can find a common cause. It's reported that groups are nearly impossible to manage as the lag with looting is too severe.

Again, I'm a doof for posting in the wrong forum. I did a search and found this thread--which was applicable. I'll create a new thread in the generic server area after I gather some more evidence.

provocating
07-21-2015, 08:33 AM
Also, did you use the repack or did you compile from source? Also this is Windows? What flavor of windows? Is this Irreverent Server having the actual issue or a side project?

Do not rule out something like a rootkit causing this. Rootkits are very good about actually hiding their processor usage.

07-21-2015, 10:33 AM
Clients are all processed in a single loop (client 1, client 2, client 3, loop back) and database calls are synchronous so client 1 can be stuck writing to DB and client 1,2,3 all hang on their network process.

I still suggest the issue could be database related or you have a really terrible network (or maybe both). If the database is on a remote server other than what the zone server is running on that potentially is also a problem.

provocating
07-21-2015, 10:53 AM
Yeah what Image just said.

I remember something quirky going on about 7 months ago on Chronicles of Norrath. I experienced something similar but not while looting, just opening up a vendor. Since those processes are in the same processing loop one person could open up a vendor and stall the rest out. As soon as you right click on a merchant a select statement is run. I seem to remember just dropping my database, creating a new one and importing it back in solved the problem.

Shendare
07-21-2015, 11:27 AM
Rate limit the torrents to less than half your down/up bandwidth. :P

N0ctrnl
07-21-2015, 11:31 AM
Rate limit the torrents to less than half your down/up bandwidth. :P

Blasphemy!

Shendare
07-21-2015, 11:32 AM
I wonder if it might also be something that could be alleviated with some cleverly implemented indexes. Depends on the actual bottleneck db-side, of course.

provocating
07-21-2015, 11:38 AM
I did actually reindex and optimize after I imported mine back in.