PDA

View Full Version : Large Warp Detected?

Rogein
10-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Hello, I'm having a strange and highly annoying issue. Whenever I'm playing, on multiple servers, I seem to get messages saying Large Warp Detected, as if I was using MQ or something, when in fact I'm not.

My setup is as follows, I'm running Wineq2 and playing in two windows, usually two-boxing. I'm not glitching around when I move, nor any other odd graphical anomalies. It happens if I'm two-boxing or not, using 2 CPU's or not, and running Wineq 2 or not. It got be banned temporarily on Voidd's server, but when I showed him it's happening regardless of my actual speed he unbanned me, but had no idea what the problem might be.

If I decide to log into another server and play, I'm sure it'll end up getting me into the same situation, and was hoping someone here had an idea as to what could be causing it, Thanks.

Shin Noir
10-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Large warps can be done in a number of ways legitimately. ways I have seen is:
*quest-based movements of players (such as the maze of Skyshrine).
*very large lag spikes or series of packet loss (such as your ISP goes out and you are traveling, when ISP returns if you don't lose connection, the server will think you just jumped over a huge area of land as if warping).

It is a far from perfect system, I think cavemandude disabled it on PEQ. The real question should be what kind of benefit is the player gaining by using the warp. If the warp has obvious benefits, such as during a PvP session the enemy can't attack you due to large anomolies in warping, or you are traveling across huge plots of lands like the karanas, then it is possible it should be a bannable offense.

But never just assume that if someone triggers the hacker warp requests that they're hacking. It's more like a warning system.

Rogein
10-09-2009, 04:30 PM
I'm not lagging, either graphically nor my connection speed.
I forgot to mention, I tried reinstalling twice and the problem persists. It didn't always do this, and I changed nothing that I can remember prior to it beginning.

trevius
10-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Is your PC on a wireless connection to your router, or is it wired? Also, when you see the warp messages, is that when you are just running around like normal, or is it when you are being ported around by quest NPCs or objects that port you like in BoT? And, are you playing a bard by chance?

Rogein
10-09-2009, 04:39 PM
I'm on a wireless connection connecting to a router on the other side of the house. I've never had a problem with it so far and I've been on it for a year and a half now. Also, I get the message when everything is fine and I'm moving about normally, and it happens on both boxed characters in an irregular pattern. Sometimes I get one every once in awhile, and other times it'll friggin spam the chat window :(

trevius
10-09-2009, 08:49 PM
If possible, you should try moving your PC temporarily so you can plug a wire directly into your router instead of being wireless on the other end of the house. There is a good chance you are dropping a fair amount of packets over the wireless especially being so far from the router. Even if you aren't dropping packets, they might be getting sent out of order or have a certain bit of latency at some points which can cause problems with hack detection. If you can try the hard wired way, you might see that the problem stops completely. If so, then you would know that your issue is related to your wireless connection for sure.

Rogein
10-10-2009, 12:32 AM
Ok, I'll do that in a bit and report back if I encounter further difficulties, thanks man.

KLS
10-10-2009, 02:13 AM
I've noticed sometimes tabbing between instances of EQ causes the packets going to the server to be kinda off which sometimes triggers this. I have no idea why it happens but meh, if it will make you feel better I'll take the message out.

Rogein
10-20-2009, 05:04 PM
Ah no I wouldn't worry about removing the message. At the very least it gives someone a chance to find out something is wrong and try to fix it before they end up banned for supposed warping. The problem has managed to go away on it's own, sorta how it showed up on it's own :P I don't know if it'll return but eh, at least I'm in the clear for now. Thanks guys.

Speedz
10-21-2009, 05:00 PM
Check the channel of any cordless phones in the house and the channel your router uses.

Routers that are using the 2.x ghz range can get blocked or cross noise from cordless phone since they share the same radio wave length.

I had to manually set the router channel since usually it is defaulted to a "pick any state". Then hit a channel button on my cordless phones till the noise stopped dropping my wireless computers of the network.

Give that a shot. Also I have that same issue with my ISP. I am on a 900mhz WISP (wireless internet service provider) and ANYONE in relative proximity to me and the tower with a cordless phone or 2 way radios drops me in exactly the same way.

Also, What router do you have, are there other computers on your wireless network, how old is your windows install.

Issues with packet loss can also rise out of 2 computers that have the same type of network card chipset (check drivers for name and rev#)
I have also fixed this issue by switching network cards in one machine.

Lastly, routers and network cards go bad due to various factors. Dirty power being one of them (meaning power fluctuates in hz and voltage). May also try switching out equipment. Trying a wired connection will tell you if your PC is having the issue or if there is "something" interfering wirelessly. But it won't really tell you what specific type of issue you are having with wireless as there are many factors there that can go wrong. But I still would test wired to rule things out before you take any expensive or drastic steps.

Another thing you can do is change your router security, someone could have gotten into it and is getting free internet and messin up your bandwidth?

Change connection info to your router, password and maybe encryption type.