PDA

View Full Version : Eqgame.exe crash

godlovesninjas
12-29-2009, 02:44 AM
Thread title is basically the extent of the problem.

Windows XP SP3
Intel Core2 Duo, 3 GHz
Geforce GTX 285

Followed all how-to information to the letter, and the eqgame.exe shortcut crashes with a nice generic "encountered a problem and needs to close" dialog box. Google led to nothing that resulted in a fix, but caused me to try the following:

- deleted eqgraphicsdx9.dll
- deleted eqgraphicsdx9orig.dll
- installed video card drivers
- reinstalled directx
- performed an attrib -r *.* on the \EverQuest folder

Any help? Appreciated in advance.

trevius
12-29-2009, 06:28 AM
We are going to need more details to be much more help. When is it crashing? When you first click it before actually seeing anything other than just a black box blink on the screen? Or after you log into the server select screen and select a server? Or is it letting you in sometimes and then crashing out randomly?

The more details you provide, the better help we can give. Check the FAQ in the my sig if you haven't already.

godlovesninjas
12-29-2009, 01:45 PM
The crash occurs instantly, as you first said; with only a black box on the screen.

I've read that FAQ, but it offered nothing beyond "you have resolution or drivers issues." I've already replaced the drivers (tried one rollback as well as one update) and have used the Windows display options as well as the EQ options.exe in the parent folder to try every combination I could possibly try.

reddogut
12-29-2009, 02:10 PM
I had this same problem. I had to go into my eqclient.ini file and manually change the display resolution. Open your eqclient.ini file and tell me what is listed under [VideoMode] down torwards the bottom of the file.

godlovesninjas
12-29-2009, 02:58 PM
I've opened eqclient.ini and tried a number of different resolutions, all of them produce the same crash. Right now the settings are the size of my resolution. I also tried 1600x900, 1280x1024, and 800x600.

[VideoMode]
Width=1900
Height=1080
FullscreenRefreshRate=0
FullscreenBitsPerPixel=32
WidthWindowed=1280
HeightWindowed=1024

reddogut
12-29-2009, 04:38 PM
Under [Default] what is WindowedMode= set to? TRUE or FALSE?

godlovesninjas
12-29-2009, 07:39 PM
That line actually doesn't exist in my eqclient.ini file, I'm guessing since the game hasn't been run before? What should it be set to?

edit: added the line, tried both TRUE and FALSE parameters, get the same crash either way. :(

godlovesninjas
12-30-2009, 01:16 AM
I installed a live version today to a different directory, and got the same error. I deleted eqgraphicsdx9.dll, eqmain.dll, and eqclient.ini, then ran the OptionsEditor.exe, and finally got it to run when forced to start in 640x480. Once in-game, I was able to select a different resolution and play with no problems.

So a live version works just fine, I can confirm it's not my hardware.

reddogut
12-30-2009, 10:55 AM
Under [Default] type in WindowedMode=TRUE and then under [VideoMode] set WidthWindowed= and HeightWindowed= to 1024 X 768.