PDA

View Full Version : xbox 360 new dvd drive.

patience
01-23-2010, 12:56 PM
i recently received an xbox 360 that did not have the original dvd drive it came with what he thought was the original card out of the original drive..i bought a replace drive and i swapped the cards and the drive will not open...i put the card back in that came with the replacement drive and the drive works but only place dvds...my question is if the original card is not working(even if that is in fact the original card), is there a way to get the drive to work..i also have another drive but it is a different model and firmware...im not looking to mod the drive to play burnt games or anything like that, i would just hate to throw away a working xbox 360..thanks

jkennedy
01-23-2010, 01:06 PM
try placing a paperclip in the little hole

cavedude
01-26-2010, 01:20 PM
Remove the covers on the drive and see if it opens, sometimes they get stuck I've found. If you can get the original drive to eject once, manually push the tray halfway back and then you can connect it to a PC to get the key off. (See the net for a tutorial) From there, using that key you can reflash the drive that only plays DVDs (it does so because the key is incorrect) and spoof it with the original drive's key. You might as well flash it with iextreme anyway, because spoofing a drive, even with stock firmware can get you banned. If you are taking the risk anyway, might as well mod the drive.

If you don't have the original drive, then the only other option is to do the jtag hack if your console qualifies (which it probably doesn't) to run unsigned code. Using Xell (or Xellous) you can get your CPU key, and then by extension your DVD key. You can spoof another drive like above. Doing this way is a bit harder because it involves soldering wires to your Xbox's motherboard which is an instant ban on Live, and as I said that's if your console even qualifies.

Last option is to sell it on Ebay. Might want to clean it off, strip it and sell the parts individually. Fully assembled non-working consoles aren't worth much, I pay $35 each. But individually, the parts come to about $100 or so.