PDA

View Full Version : Can't connect to EQEmu Login Server using WAN settings, only LAN

osuracnaes
02-13-2010, 10:42 PM
First off, thanks to everyone involved in getting this EQEmulator stuff working! Really brings back some memories...

Now as to my problem.

Thread title's a little confusing, so I'll try to explain. If I set up my login server with LAN settings, everything works fine. I can start the server executables, log in, and party (by myself) like it's 1999:

eqemu_config.xml

<world>
<shortname>(My Server Name)</shortname>
<longname>(My Server Long Name)</longname>

<!-- Only specify these two if you really think you need to. (read: You don't) -->
<address>127.0.0.1</address>
<localaddress>127.0.0.1</localaddress>

<!-- Loginserver information. Defaults shown -->
<loginserver>
<host>127.0.0.1</host>
<port>5998</port>
<account></account>
<password></password>
</loginserver>

<!-- Sets the ip/port for the tcp connections. Both zones and console (if enabled). Defaults are shown -->
<tcp ip="localhost" port="9000" telnet="disable"/>

<!-- Sets the shared key used by zone/launcher to connect to world -->
<key>some long random string</key>

<!-- Enable and set the port for the HTTP service. Defaults are shown -->
<http port="9080" enabled="false" mimefile="mime.types" />
</world>

But if I try to set it up using a dyndns address I made, my world.exe can't connect to my login server. I'm trying to get this set up over a WAN so I can play with some friends throughout the country.

eqemu_config.xml

<world>
<shortname>(My Server Name)</shortname>
<longname>(My Server Long Name)</longname>

<!-- Only specify these two if you really think you need to. (read: You don't) -->
<address>myserver.dyndns.org</address>
<localaddress>192.168.0.101</localaddress>

<!-- Loginserver information. Defaults shown -->
<loginserver>
<host>myserver.dyndns.org</host>
<port>5998</port>
<account></account>
<password></password>
</loginserver>

<!-- Sets the ip/port for the tcp connections. Both zones and console (if enabled). Defaults are shown -->
<tcp ip="localhost" port="9000" telnet="disable"/>

<!-- Sets the shared key used by zone/launcher to connect to world -->
<key>some long random string</key>

<!-- Enable and set the port for the HTTP service. Defaults are shown -->
<http port="9080" enabled="false" mimefile="mime.types" />
</world>

world.exe log

[02.13. - 21:26:41] [NET__IDENTIFY] Registered patch 6.2
[02.13. - 21:26:41] [NET__IDENTIFY] Registered patch Titanium
[02.13. - 21:26:41] [NET__IDENTIFY] Registered patch SoF
[02.13. - 21:26:41] [WORLD__LS] Connecting to login server...
[02.13. - 21:26:43] [WORLD__LS_ERR] Could not connect to login server: TCPConnection::Connect(): connect() failed. Error: 10061
[02.13. - 21:26:51] [WORLD__LS] Connecting to login server...
[02.13. - 21:26:52] [WORLD__LS_ERR] Could not connect to login server: TCPConnection::Connect(): connect() failed. Error: 10061
[02.13. - 21:27:01] [WORLD__LS] Connecting to login server...
[02.13. - 21:27:02] [WORLD__LS_ERR] Could not connect to login server: TCPConnection::Connect(): connect() failed. Error: 10061
[02.13. - 21:27:11] [WORLD__LS] Connecting to login server...
(And so on)...

I do have TCP and UDP ports 7000-7100 and 9000 forwarded to my server machine (192.168.0.101).

Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

osuracnaes
02-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Nevermind. Did some more digging and realized I can't easily fix it with my current setup.

I found out that the modem provided by my ISP also serves as a router, but there's no way to configure port forwarding or even which ports are open. I'd have to pay a fee (an unreasonable one, at that, IMO) to have their tech crew remotely access my modem to do the forwarding.

Which is BS, as far as I'm concerned.

I'll have to bridge the router to the modem... something I have no idea how to do and completely disables my internet when I try. Fun!

osuracnaes
02-14-2010, 02:17 PM
That was easy. Still not working, but I have a different issue now.

Here's how I fixed this, just in case someone else has the same problem:

My Westell modem had a PPP (Point-to-Point Protocol) location configuration, and it was defaulted to the modem. I changed this to use PPP on my router/computer.

My D-Link router has a manual internet configuration option. I changed this from Dynamic IP to PPPoE, and used my ISP account's username and password. Set Maximum Idle Time to 0, and changed the Connect Mode to Always On.

After refreshing my dyndns URL IP, pings to that URL now work from machines outside of my LAN, and I can start up my login server. I get heap corruption immediately after logging in to the server list, but that's a different issue. :p