PDA

View Full Version : Problem with 0xdddddddd in AIyellforhelp

Akkadius
02-25-2010, 02:56 AM
I know other servers get this crash issue as well and I'd figure I would come out post this because it's repeating and causal to many crashes in even the latest and cleanest of compiles...

aggro.cpp

0xdddddddd in the NPC* mob object for the AIYellForHelp function

secrets edit: more specifically, it's related to the pointer being valid, but the NPC object having the wrong values, ie, 0xdddddddd

Akkadius edit: Would help as well to know what exactly its related to besides AIYellForHelp so we can prevent these measures, thanks

Derision
02-25-2010, 11:17 AM
My suspicion is that these are due to a Mob object being destroyed (when it dies) and it's memory being freed, but the pointer to it not being removed from the entity_list.

It would help if you can spot any pattern in what the players where doing just prior to the crashes, as it may help narrow down what's causing it.

Akkadius
02-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Typically what I've found is just massive aggro. It isn't relevant to any one point, I've tried to narrow it down, its always aggro related.

It didn't seem to happen at all before in the same scenario, but I have SOME players in and testing experiencing these issues then I confirmed them myself.

Secrets
02-25-2010, 09:51 PM
I've got about 8 copies of this in my linux box too, so it's not a windows exclusive crash. Though linux is a bit more cryptic about it, here's the core bt:

Cannot access memory at address 0xbff129ec

I know it's related to deleting the NPC, it's just a matter of where.

Any ideas? I tried poking at code and I couldn't find where it was deconstructed other than the places it's supposed to.

Secrets
06-09-2010, 08:26 AM
Think I may have a solution but i'm not sure if this will work (nor have I tested it.)

move from the bottom of NPC::Death
this->WipeHateList();

to below

//do faction hits even if we are a merchant, so long as a player killed us
if(give_exp_client)
hate_list.DoFactionHits(GetNPCFactionID());

Secrets
06-09-2010, 08:36 AM
Further inspection shows that...

that fix doesn't fix it.

elusive little sucker.