PDA

View Full Version : Black Screen Upon Startup (Tried Multiple Fixes)

EmoJoe
01-24-2011, 10:57 PM
When I try to start EQ it loads up a black screen with the changed mouse cursor. I have to Task Manager out and obviously I can't do anything.

I tried resizing the resolution with Options Editor, with and without running under 640x480 under Compatibility for EQ Properties.

I'm running 32Bit Windows 7, pretty much out of ideas at this point? Anyone had similar problems and know a good fix?

blackdragonsdg
01-25-2011, 03:20 AM
The most common causes of that issue are lack of directx9c and resolution issues. Wide screen resolutions and multiple monitors are not natively supported by Everquest.

Since you have already tried the resolution fixes then download and install directx9c. You can download it from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

And no it does not matter that you have directx 11 as part of Windows 7. Installing directx9c will not replace or harm anything it merely adds the runtime components needed by Everquest.

EmoJoe
01-25-2011, 03:46 AM
Turns out it was my dual monitors, but thank you. Was a pain in the ass to run though all those fixes.

winz
02-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Turns out it was my dual monitors, but thank you. Was a pain in the ass to run though all those fixes.
What did you do to fix it?

I am having similar problems... but I tried physically disconnecting the second monitor and unplugging the power. Tried all the fixes in the FAQ after that to no avail.

Dizzie
05-31-2011, 11:28 PM
In Windows 7, setting your dual monitors to "Duplicate these displays" will also fix the black screen of doom. It's annoying to set it each time, yes, but not as annoying as unplugging your monitor physically each time....

shadowvian1
06-25-2011, 10:17 PM
Where do you find the "duplicate these displays" to fix said problem?