PDA

View Full Version : The Borg assimilate Norrath

Fridgecritter
02-19-2011, 02:57 PM
Hello all,

I took a bit of a hiatus from emu, and now I have a new idea. I will not be re-opening Fridgecritter's Diablo Style random loot server. I have been playing on a few servers, and it seems to me that random loot is kind of boring without a good story line.

Whether you like Star Trek or not, you have to agree that there are almost infinite possibilities for integrating the story line into just about anything, so I thought, why not make a Borg Assimilation theme server?

Here are a few main characteristics of the server as I am working on them so far:

DEEP Story line about the invasion, unfolding as you work your way through the teirs.
Teirs based on original EQ expansions (Why reinvent the wheel?)
Access to the next expansion granted only after completing custom content.
Custom loot based on "alien" technology (drops will be pieces that you form using no-fail combines) that you will use to "upgrade" armor, ironically assimilating Borg technology to defeat them. Augs, Armor, Weapons all upgraded this way.
World bosses based on Star Trek story line, and as much humor and interesting story integrated into the content. I will try to adhere to the Star Trek story as much as possible, as well as making the Norrathians react as each individual race would, based on EQ lore.
Custom loot, carefully placed based on level of areas.
Max level will be 85, There will be access to certain commands, like #zone (although you will be limited to the expansion you have access to), 3X experience, and AAs rewarded by certain quests. There will be other commands available to accomodate the leveling speed (scribespells, etc...)
There will be bots on this server.

This server will not open until the first expansion is "assimilated" into EQ lore, the quests are in place, and half of the second expansion is done. I expect it will take about two weeks for players to get through the first expansion's quests and world bosses, so I want to be able to have the second expansion done before players finish the first teir.

I am using Microsoft Groove to organize and task issues that need to be done, and everything will be well planned. I will be needing a coder and a story writer if anyone wants to volunteer. I will not be needing any GM staff other than that for now. I don't want this to be another fly by night server that hires 5 GMs, and they hand out gear to their friends and the server never gets populated.

The server is hosted on a dedicated host, through a reputable hosting company, and will have a alla clone and Magelo as soon as I get around to it.

Any suggestions and comments are well appreciated. Thanks.

jabedoben
02-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Sounds cool! Can't wait to try it out.

treebane
03-01-2011, 12:24 AM
I like the sound of story based progression and bots look forward to seeing how it all unfolds. Bots will attract players and the story will keep them coming back. And i hope the gnomes are busy dissecting the borg looking for ways to deal with the threat.

Fridgecritter
05-09-2011, 04:09 PM
OK so I have a LOT done with the scripting and story line, with the help of a few friends. This looks like it's turning out to be a pretty cool idea. As I said before, I am not going to bring it online until I have enough done for players to go through the first "tier" so to speak, but that time is fast approaching.

So, before I go pay for hosting space, I want to check to see if anyone has some rack space they want to let me use for free. I figure it doesn't hurt to ask, and if nobody does, then I will simply set it up myself through a hosting company. Also, if anyone has a line on a good affordable hosting service that you currently use, maybe I could get a referral to that service.

I still need story writers and builders. Please let me know what you bring to the table by writing me at fridgecritter@gmail.com and same for if you have any info on the hosting.

Thanks in advance.
-Fridgecritter