PDA

View Full Version : Is the new star wars going to be any good?

Melandril
09-01-2011, 03:19 PM
After playing Rift and finding it to be a WoW clone, I'm worried the new star wars may also turn out to be a WoW clone.

Does anyone know if it will be any good?

pfyon
09-01-2011, 07:44 PM
I don't know, but I'm looking for a beta key if anyone has one and doesn't want it :D .

helman
09-01-2011, 07:48 PM
No its going to suck eggs and I'm not kidding. If you know what I do about it you would think the same. I'm afraid I can't post what I know as I might get banned XD

Astal
09-01-2011, 08:29 PM
I cant wait till it comes out, its the first mmo imma pay to play since eq 2

Emmeric
09-01-2011, 08:45 PM
All the new games claim the sky. "It will kill "X"-game." Everyone expects the new game, whatever it is, to be "it."

They never are.

Shadowbane was supposed to kill DAoC. it didn't.
Star Wars Galaxies was supposed to destroy EQ and UO. It didn't.
The Matrix was supposed to kill EQ and DAoC. It didn't.
Guild Wars was supposed to finally kill all MMOs. It didn't.
Age of Conan was supposed to kill EQ and UO and Shadowbane and DAoC. It didn't.
WoW was supposed to kill...

Need I go on?

Let's face the reality. ALL MMOs suck. They suck because they are made to be appealing to as many people as possible. I could list complaints about every single MMO that has ever come out. Sure, we like certain things about certain games, but the end result is that we are not satisfied.

Star Wars the Old Retarded or whatever it is called won't be any different from any other sucky MMO. They all claim to be "next generation." They aren't and the usage is about as cliche as "All Natural" on food labels.

EQII was supposed to be the "best ever" graphics and was repeated so many times that everyone began repeating it themselves. EQII graphics SUCK. Only the environmental wet effects looked cool. The rest of it sucked and it wasn't "next generation." Let's stop repeating the same old stupid fallacies and judge games for what they are. If we didn't think EQ sucked, we wouldn't be here.

Having spent 12 years in MMOs and played almost every single one, I've seen it all. The reality never matches the hype. Ever. Period. Get over it.

Star Wars TOR is going to suck. We'll like certain things about it, but in the end we'll move on because the game sucks.

revloc02c
09-02-2011, 11:35 AM
No its going to suck eggs and I'm not kidding. If you know what I do about it you would think the same. I'm afraid I can't post what I know as I might get banned XD

Do tell...

ChaosSlayerZ
09-02-2011, 03:38 PM
the best MMO, is the one you make yourself ;)
God bless Emulator! :D

revloc02c
09-02-2011, 05:45 PM
the best MMO, is the one you make yourself ;)
God bless Emulator! :D
Amen.

All the new games claim the sky. "It will kill "X"-game." Everyone expects the new game, whatever it is, to be "it."

They never are.

Shadowbane was supposed to kill DAoC. it didn't.
Star Wars Galaxies was supposed to destroy EQ and UO. It didn't.
The Matrix was supposed to kill EQ and DAoC. It didn't.
Guild Wars was supposed to finally kill all MMOs. It didn't.
Age of Conan was supposed to kill EQ and UO and Shadowbane and DAoC. It didn't.
WoW was supposed to kill...

Need I go on?

Let's face the reality. ALL MMOs suck. They suck because they are made to be appealing to as many people as possible. I could list complaints about every single MMO that has ever come out. Sure, we like certain things about certain games, but the end result is that we are not satisfied.

Star Wars the Old Retarded or whatever it is called won't be any different from any other sucky MMO. They all claim to be "next generation." They aren't and the usage is about as cliche as "All Natural" on food labels.

EQII was supposed to be the "best ever" graphics and was repeated so many times that everyone began repeating it themselves. EQII graphics SUCK. Only the environmental wet effects looked cool. The rest of it sucked and it wasn't "next generation." Let's stop repeating the same old stupid fallacies and judge games for what they are. If we didn't think EQ sucked, we wouldn't be here.

Having spent 12 years in MMOs and played almost every single one, I've seen it all. The reality never matches the hype. Ever. Period. Get over it.

Star Wars TOR is going to suck. We'll like certain things about it, but in the end we'll move on because the game sucks.

Just wondering, from what you've played what did you like?

Emmeric
09-03-2011, 01:10 PM
Just wondering, from what you've played what did you like?

I liked all of them for some aspect or other. I disliked all of them for some aspect or other. Even though I labeled them all as sucky, there were things about each I thought were credits to the designers.

Answering though is highly subjective.

For example, I loved Rift, but the crafting (relic or augments... forgot already what they were called) blew me out and ruined the game. Otherwise, I loved the skill tree and then on the same hand disliked it for not having enough impact. The whole idea of the rifts and the separate game of closing/chasing them with rewards was satisfying, while the MMO-cliche power progression from a solo-challenge to "you must have a group" with each level increase was a let-down.

Just to step back up on my soapbox, MMOs consistently claim to do things different, next generation, never been done before, totally out of the box thinking, unique and all that hype-BS...

... yet every single MMO cookie-cutter pastes into their design the parabolic increase in difficulty. What you could take solo at level 5 you can't at level 50. Grouping is forced and then raiding. When it comes to crafting, many crafters tend to be soloers. The wife and I laughed at the absurdity of one recent MMO we played (slips my mind which one we've played so many) where the patch notes indicated that crafting might require raiding to accomplish.

This is "unique" thinking? It's about as stupid and cliche as Hollywood's portrayals of white American men as fat and stupid.

revloc02c
09-03-2011, 07:23 PM
Just to step back up on my soapbox, MMOs consistently claim to do things different, next generation, never been done before, totally out of the box thinking, unique and all that hype-BS...

Yeah, it's a tough market. EQ was ground-breaking when it came out. At some point someone will figure out how to have that kind of impact again (hopefully).

The wife and I laughed at the absurdity of one recent MMO we played (slips my mind which one we've played so many) where the patch notes indicated that crafting might require raiding to accomplish.

So true. Problem is that you have casual players playing with snot-nosed teenagers that play 24/7--hard to balance that.

This is "unique" thinking? It's about as stupid and cliche as Hollywood's portrayals of white American men as fat and stupid.
LOL, love this...don't hold back now, if you have an opinion just out with it.