PDA

View Full Version : Simple yet so hard

shilayley
09-03-2011, 05:51 PM
Hi all! I have a question. I been pulling my hair all day and I cant figure out what I am doing wrong. I am trying to setup a server for my son and his buddies to play on. I have setup a private server and I was the only one playing it. I can see my server when I can log in. He cant see any servers at all.

I installed EQ on his laptop and installed eqemu on it so I could get a shortcut that all he needs to do is just click it to log into EQ. Am I missing something? Is that mini login progam needed? I am running the EQ with the peq database.

He dont need to run eqemu to does he? Arrrgh! What do I do on my end and on his end and any friend he wants to have join? His friends will be in their own houses. I looked on this site and seen a ton of servers but when I play my EQ I only see my server and nothing else. I bet thats part of my problem too. :( Yea yea I am a mom who likes rpg games and was on Evercrack along time ago :P My kids were too little to play then and now they want to enjoy this wonderful classic..

Thanks!!!! in advance...

Apoc.Index
09-03-2011, 06:12 PM
I guess I would start with your eqhost.txt file on both your PC and your sons. Be sure you arnt just connecting to 'localhost'. If you are you will need to change that. (This could be why all you see is your server)

As far as a private server, im not 100% sure on how to set it up correctly, But the round about way would be to go into your accounts table with navicat.

Add their accounts into that table manualy, and set their access to 255.

Then when you launch your world (if it were set to public) #lock when you enter the game, it will keep other people out except those with the proper access.

Just be sure to check your eqhost.txt and your server .XML file, and change it to the proper IP. If you have more questions, keep us updated.

Apoc.

shilayley
09-03-2011, 06:48 PM
I tried with the eqhost and still nothing. But what would I do to be able to see the other servers online? I might have changed something or to many things to my local address. There is no list, just always stays at preferred servers and it just shows mine. Now he sees nothing but a blank list when I run his. He does not have to run eqemu right? He should just have EQ game itself and some shortcut to click on. I need to be running my server to see my server. If I dont want to run my server and go on someone elses I do?

I just never see anyone elses either. I love games but I hate figuring out the technical aspects of doing more than just play lol! Thank you!

Apoc.Index
09-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Ok this is what the eqhost file should look like on Both computers
[LoginServer]
Host=eqemulator.net:5999 (or 5998 for titanium)

This is the eqemu_config.XML
<?xml version="1.0">
<server>
<world>
<shortname>INSERT NAME</shortname>
<longname>INSERT FULL NAME</longname>

<!-- Only specify these two if you really think you need to. (read: You don't) -->
<!-- <address>some.server.com</address> -->
<!-- <localaddress>192.168.0.5</localaddress> -->

<!-- Loginserver information. Defaults shown -->
<loginserver>
<host>eqemulator.net</host>
<port>5998</port>
<account></account>
<password></password>
</loginserver>

<!-- Server status. Default is unlocked -->
<!--<locked/>-->
<!-- <unlocked/> -->

<!-- Sets the ip/port for the tcp connections. Both zones and console (if enabled). Defaults are shown -->
<tcp ip="localhost" port="9000" telnet="disable"/>

<!-- Sets the shared key used by zone/launcher to connect to world -->
<key>some long random string</key>

<!-- Enable and set the port for the HTTP service. Defaults are shown -->
<http port="9080" enabled="false" mimefile="mime.types" />
</world>

<!-- Chatserver (channels) information. Defaults shown -->
<chatserver>
<host>channels.eqemulator.net</host>
<port>7778</port>
</chatserver>

<!-- Mailserver (in-game mail) information. Defaults shown -->
<mailserver>
<host>channels.eqemulator.net</host>
<port>7779</port>
</mailserver>

<zones>
<defaultstatus>20</defaultstatus>

<!-- Sets port range for world to use to auto configure zones -->
<ports low="7000" high="7100"/>
</zones>

<!-- Database configuration, replaces db.ini. Defaults shown -->
<database>
<host>localhost</host>
<port>3306</port>
<username>root</username>
<password>*****</password>
<db>peq</db>
</database>

<!-- Launcher Configuration -->
<launcher>
<!-- <logprefix>logs/zone-</logprefix> -->
<!-- <logsuffix>.log</logsuffix> -->
<!-- <exe>zone.exe or ./zone</exe> -->
<!-- <timers restart="10000" reterminate="10000"> -->
</launcher>

<!-- File locations. Defaults shown -->
<files>
<!-- <spells>spells_us.txt</spells> -->
<!-- <opcodes>opcodes.conf</opcodes> -->
<!-- <logsettings>log.ini</logsettings> -->
<!-- <eqtime>eqtime.cfg</eqtime> -->
</files>
<!-- Directory locations. Defaults shown -->
<directories>
<!-- <maps>Maps</maps> -->
<!-- <quests>quests</quests> -->
<!-- <plugins>plugins</plugins> -->
</directories>
</server>

For your sons computer, he should have a *NON patched* Everquest installed.
in the EverQuest folder select eqgame.exe, Right click that and click add shortcut to desktop.

On your Desktop, Right click that shortcut and select Properties At the end of the directory add patchme

It should look something like this: ""C:\Program Files\EverQuest\eqgame.exe" patchme

So, for his computer all he needs is EQ non patched installed, the proper eqhost.txt file and the proper shortcut. He is done and can play.

For your computer, set it up just like his so far. Edit the access tables (add his accounts to the Accounts table and edit the ammount of access he has,'255') Then, when your server is up and running, and you are in world #lock it. He will still be able to log in and play on the server with you. But no one else can. If you want more friends/family to play, all you need to do is add their account into the same table and edit their access rights.

If you are still haveing issues just keep us updated!

Apoc.

shilayley
09-03-2011, 09:00 PM
I tried editing eqhost and besides not knowing if I was suppose to fill in "shortname" "longname" etc it didnt work. I had eqemu gui 2.0.5 so maybe its old now? I had it on disk for a long time, when I first tried out eqemu. I wanted the version with the PEQ database so I could have Luclin and the bazaar lol!

I uninstalled it now and am going to look for the very latest emulator and database. I remembered sometime ago there was a version created that was pretty automated so slow people like me could figure it out :P I asked my hubby for help and he says its time to move on plus consoles are easier. :( He can bite me!

Anyways could you point me in the right direction where to download the latest files? I would appreciate it very much. You been very friendly and a giant help!

Apoc.Index
09-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Sure, here is the guide I use. There are a few tricks to get it to work but its the smoothest one I can find!

http://eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32980

It will work when you iron out the kinks, I used it two days ago to re build my server after a hard crash.

The largest problems I can remember where doing the database build, if you follow the guide to the letter, the build will have 2 suceeded and 3 fails. To fix these, one of the errors is perl512.lib. Find that file and change it to perl510.lib (just re name it) Doing this will fix 2 errors.

If I did not make it super clear, here is the forum page for the information to fix it =)

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32980&page=10&highlight=install

The last next issue was sourcing the database, this link is my post about the issue and how I resolved it.

http://eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34017 (The 5th post will guide you through the final problem, follow the link)

Anyway, when you go to source the DB **DO NOT TYPE IN "source peqdb_revXXX.sql;** as the guide says.

Type this instead.. source db_dump.sql;

After doing this, your server REV is equal to 1900. Now the guide will teach you how to manually source in the rest of the updates.

When you go to source in 1711_account_restricted_aa.sql it will not load it properly, so. Open it up with wordpad or whatever you have, and delete the entire first line, and save. then re source it.

After that is all said and done, continue following the guide... to the letter! Cant stress it enough, I made allot of mistakes my first few times.

But, every problem that should happen I think I have covered.

I hope this helps!

GL and HF!

Apoc.

shilayley
09-05-2011, 12:14 PM
I still have not been able to set up a public server. Heck, I cant even see other peoples servers. Only when I make a private does it show. :( I uninstalled eqemu and replaced it with a newer one. 3.0.0 or something like that. After reinstalling it took hours to be able to get any server running. Always claiming DB error or bad password, I now have it back to private server and have created a character. Everything works accept I can create bots but wont let me #BOT SUMMON. LOL! Says I dont have any bots.

On my sons laptop I tried to run EQ and it give DB error after trying to sign in. And always shows a black blank screen when there should be a list of servers to choose from. Anyways I think it has something to do about maps? for you to be able to summon bots ?? Thanks! Sorry for the babbling! Just woke up and not had coffee yet :P

Oh! I am running windows vista on an Dell Dimension e521. And whats so aggrivating about all this is that over a year ago I had been able to see other servers including my own and my son was able to pick and choose servers to play on which included mine. So I dont know what happened or why I am having so many brain farts and cannot get this to work.

shilayley
09-14-2011, 09:08 PM
I guess I would start with your eqhost.txt file on both your PC and your sons. Be sure you arnt just connecting to 'localhost'. If you are you will need to change that. (This could be why all you see is your server)

As far as a private server, im not 100% sure on how to set it up correctly, But the round about way would be to go into your accounts table with navicat.

Add their accounts into that table manualy, and set their access to 255.

Then when you launch your world (if it were set to public) #lock when you enter the game, it will keep other people out except those with the proper access.

Just be sure to check your eqhost.txt and your server .XML file, and change it to the proper IP. If you have more questions, keep us updated.

Apoc.

Where is this server.xml file at? yes I am still trying to figure this out. :-x Thanks! ahead of time...

shilayley
09-14-2011, 09:14 PM
Once I get my server up and running and can go to other public servers I will donate to this project! Means a lot to me to get it up. My son and his friends are the perfect age to play this now.

Vincire
09-15-2011, 12:33 PM
I am not sure what OS you're running but I had this same issue until I remebered that I had enabled my Windows Firewall. Turing that off allowed for remote clients to connect to my server.

wolfwalkereci
09-15-2011, 01:51 PM
Don't need to disable firewall just allow connections on the port

Apoc.Index
09-16-2011, 10:22 PM
Ok, sorry for a late reply, been really buisy. Your server.xml shoul be in C:\eqemu\eqemu_config.XML. Right click and open with word or notepad or w/e you have. ** DO NOT EDIT ANYTHING EXCEPT**-
<?xml version="1.0">
<server>
<world>
<shortname>Insert Short Name</shortname> <-This Line
<longname>Long Name Here</longname> <-This Line
And

</zones>

<!-- Database configuration, replaces db.ini. Defaults shown -->
<database>
<host>localhost</host> <-This Line
<port>3306</port> <-This line
<username>root</username> <-This Line
<password>****</password> <-This Line
<db>peq</db> <-This Line
</database>

*Please get rid of the Arrows and dont copy paste this, it is an example only. Follow this guide to get an exact .XML file, that you can copy/paste.
http://eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32980

As far as not being able to #bot summon, I am not for sure. I am unframiliar with Bot Servers, However. From reading previous threads; I do beleive it is caused from a update missing or sourceing incorrectly. I cant give you a diffinitive answer there. Sorry. But I would look at the updates first.

Apoc.

shilayley
09-17-2011, 12:19 PM
I can create bots now. I needed to do the quest. In the earlier versions in 2009, "Last time I played this" There wasnt any quests for bots I believe. Then I read that you had to do a quest and wah Lah! Bots! Thanks guys for your help. I will do the xml file thingy now and see if my efforts will be fruitfull lol!

shilayley
09-17-2011, 12:59 PM
Ok I copy / pasted in the .xml file. Now when I run the server and go to run EQ itself it shows no servers at all. I did notice on the eqEmu gui that there is a Global IP And a local IP. The global reads this "127.0.0.1" While the local shows my IP. Should the global read other than 127.0.0.1?

Thanks!

Apoc.Index
09-17-2011, 01:21 PM
Well, not showing any servers at all is a client error. It is not caused by running the server.

What Client are you running?
Titanium or Secrets of Faydwer:
[LoginServer]
Host=eqemulator.net:5998

Seeds of Destruction/Underfoot:
[LoginServer]
Host=eqemulator.net:5999

that is your eqhost.txt file in your EverQuest Directory. You should have one of these in that file (not both).

shilayley
09-20-2011, 09:39 PM
What I notice is I will put in Host=eqemulator.net:5998 in the eqhost.text file and when I go to run the eqemu and Eq itself, it still wont go. I then would check on the eqhost file and for some reason it gets rewritten back to my local host IP. Why is it doing that? On my sons laptop I set it up the way I was told and sometimes he will get a DB ERROR. But most of the time its just a black screen with no servers. PLus I notice that when loading server, in the window it will show it loading eqemulator.net then later in the loading it will show loading AX-Classic.com or something like that. AXclassic isnt even in the .xml This is what is confusing to me.

If I could get a pic or something what the .xml should look like with some marker showing what I have to change and to what, I think I could get this going. I am changing something wrong or I am not changing something that should be changed.

I am running Vista and AX classic gui 2.0.5 32 bit Dell Dimension e521 with dual processors. If it means anything.

Now on my sons computer I put my IP in his eqhost.txt file? or Host=eqemulator.net:5998 ??

There are also eqhost.txt files in my AC-classic-PEQ folder. Do those get changed to? Jeesh! Giving birth was less frustrating lol!

:shock:

Valex
09-21-2011, 02:53 AM
I'm going to try to help you a bit by attempting to clear some things up.
Assuming you have the correct database sourced and an up-to-date compiled server:

eqhost.txt contains the information(IP/Port) needed to connect to a login server.
The login server verifies account credentials and sends you a list of available servers.
If you use eqemulator.net:5998 (The main eqemu login server), then you will have to have an internet connection (which you obviously do) any time you want to play on your server.

So if you are only using this server for people on the same LAN, then you should set up a MiniLogin server, or even your own login server. Whichever you decide to use you must use the same login server IP/Port that you use for eqhost.txt as you do for your eqemu_config.xml. If having an internet connection on all computers and possibly having the occasional visitor on your server doesn't bother you, then you could save yourself the hassle and just use the main eqemu login server. You can always lock the server, though.

If you have a router and expect others to connect to your server from outside of your LAN, then you will probably need to forward the correct ports so that they can connect to your computer. You will also have to add an exception to your firewall if you have one active. You can do this by setting it to allow connections through a specific port, or adding world/zone programs to the safe list.

Assuming you've read all of that and have tried everything, what exactly is the problem? You are using eqemulator.net:5998 for your eqhost and cannot see the server list at all?
What client are you using (on all computers)?
The Titanium client seems to work best, but I know that SoF and others work as well.
Did you compile the server yourself?
What eqemu server version are you using?
If you are following a server guide then which one?

Also posting your full eqemu_config.xml and all eqhost.txt files would help.
Any other information would help us help you.

I've set up EQEmu servers on Windows in the past, and have recently compiled the source and have it ready to go on my Linux box and everything works fine using the Titanium client (I am also using MiniLogin 6.2, but the main login server works just fine as well.)

If you are going to use the main login server it should be as simple as this:

In eqemu_config:

<loginserver>
<host>eqemulator.net</host>
<port>5998</port>
<account></account>
<password></password>
</loginserver>

In eqhost.txt:

[LoginServer]
Host=eqemulator.net:5998

I hope you get it working. Good luck.

Edit: Forgot to mention that 127.0.0.1 (or localhost) is the loopback address, that is, it connects back to your computer. So do not use that to connect to your server.
If you are running a database on the same machine, then use localhost for the database IP in eqemu_config.xml.

shilayley
09-26-2011, 08:21 PM
I have it up and running now. Thank you for all your help!