PDA

View Full Version : 2 Server Setup ?

KingMort
10-30-2011, 04:25 AM
So do you have to have 2 IP's to start 2 servers or is there a way around it.. I want to start a Raid Addicts (Revisited) which is basically the server with a Char Wipe , but also have the normal server running with everyone's char's in tact.

Morty

trevius
10-30-2011, 10:03 AM
You can't run 2 instances of EQEmu on the same PC/Server unless you are running something like VMWare which will mean 2 IPs are needed. I am pretty sure it is not possible, because port 9000 has to be used by the clients, and you can't have the same port going to 2 different IPs on the same LAN as far as I know. Even if you set the VMWare to use your main OS as a bridge for its internet connectivity, I don't think it would work quite right.

I have been able to get it working on my own LAN fine when running multiple servers from my house, but only 1 at a time can be accessed from outside of my LAN even though I can access both from within the LAN.

Tabasco
10-30-2011, 01:59 PM
You need a proper Internet routable IP per server, at that point you could run a dozen servers on the same physical machine. If you have one Internet IP and a router doing NAT, it can't be done because your LAN IP's are all being masqueraded and are essentially meaningless outside of your own network.

KingMort
10-30-2011, 02:24 PM
This is what I have setup .. But waiting on a part. But in theory this should work right?

CABLE MODEM
|
|
HUB
Router --- --- Router
| |
| |
Server A Server B

Akkadius
10-30-2011, 02:53 PM
This is what I have setup .. But waiting on a part. But in theory this should work right?

CABLE MODEM
|
|
HUB
Router --- --- Router
| |
| |
Server A Server B

No because your cable modem is the device that receives the outside DHCP address from your service provider. From then it's just NAT translations to the routers which provide local LAN addresses.

A hub is not going to be useful for anything as it just does layer 1 multi-port repeater. You have to be ultimately serving from two separate outside addresses servable by your ISP's subnets specified for the network in which your residence resides in.

Tabasco
10-30-2011, 03:32 PM
Back when I was on cable our provider would assign up to 3 real IP's for connected devices. If yours is doing something like that and both routers have an internet routable IP, that could work, but it's because you would have 2 real IP's.

Hit http://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+my+ip from each server to see if they show the same external IP, or look at the WAN settings for both routers. If they match it won't work.

You need one Internet routable IP (nothing from section 3) per server.
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1918

trevius
10-30-2011, 07:08 PM
The only way I could think it may work is by using something like hamachi where you essentially get another internet routable IP through a tunnel (or something like that). People use it for WoW emu servers quite a bit. Not sure how the port forwarding would work at that point though.

KingMort
10-30-2011, 08:40 PM
Well if I can get it working I'll be sure to share what I did to get it working haha..

bowmaster
10-31-2011, 07:39 AM
Mort , uve screwed up Your other server by doinf this :( , cant connect , cant get to char selecton just boots out the acount login

KingMort
11-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Anyway I got it working with the above diagram.. But I hate to have two seperate PC's .. Has anyone tried to install 2 NIC's and do this on 1 PC before ? I guess i'll mess around with it but I do have 2 IP's..

Right now it is working with this configuration.

CABLE MODEM
|
|
HUB
Router --- --- Router
| |
| |
Server A Server B