PDA

View Full Version : speed up zoning times

secondattack
12-09-2011, 11:16 AM
My server runs a quadcore 3.6 gig cpu with 8 gigs of ram and a 320 gig sata 2 hdd.. My play box runs almost the same hardware but i cant help but notice zoning time takes longer then it should imo.. Would i see a increased speed if i started all zones static? My think here is that the time it takes to boot the zone i am going to every time i zone is whats hold my speed back.. Was also wonder if my client had anything to do with it, is one client favored over another which one works best?

trevius
12-10-2011, 08:14 AM
Static zones might help a bit, but not sure how much offhand. If you run the Titanium client, you should almost certainly see a noticeable decrease in zone time if you switch to the SoD or UF client.

AdmiralNaismith
12-10-2011, 09:27 AM
Static zones might help a bit, but not sure how much offhand. If you run the Titanium client, you should almost certainly see a noticeable decrease in zone time if you switch to the SoD or UF client.

Absolutely. I'm running the UF client and it is much faster than the Titanium client.

secondattack
12-10-2011, 12:34 PM
Sadly the only properly working mq2 build i have is only for tit. Idk tho i have heard that there are working build for the other clients.. Kinda silly when you think of it.. I run my own server so i can hack it with out using gm commands.. Thats what i enjoyed on live tho so whatever.. Any who than for the info i'll check and see if my box can handle booting everything static. Most like cant tho its just too much. But will see.

provocating
12-16-2011, 06:55 PM
I will also add that I did something that was posted before called hybrid static zones, basically you tell the zones to stay running for a period of time after the last person leaves the zone. This has worked well for me. People really like it since if I set them for 30 minutes, then they have 30 minutes to make it back to the zone and things will be the same. Before I had 150+ zones static, that can be quite memory intensive even under Linux.

Akkadius
12-16-2011, 11:53 PM
I will also add that I did something that was posted before called hybrid static zones, basically you tell the zones to stay running for a period of time after the last person leaves the zone. This has worked well for me. People really like it since if I set them for 30 minutes, then they have 30 minutes to make it back to the zone and things will be the same. Before I had 150+ zones static, that can be quite memory intensive even under Linux.

Referring to:

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33487

provocating
12-17-2011, 12:03 AM
Yeah, this is what I have in my notes. I keep a separate file with queries to run after a database update.

# Hybrid static zones
UPDATE `zone` SET `shutdowndelay` = '1800000';