PDA

View Full Version : Server administration

provocating
12-27-2011, 05:44 PM
I was hoping to get some replies from the server admins that keep a constant 10+ users during the week.

What are you using for internet upload / download and is your connection static ? What are you using for backups ? What about a login server, are you doing that using www.eqemulator.org for your login server ?

trevius
12-28-2011, 05:16 AM
I have a 25MB down 3MB up Charter Cable connection. It is a dynamic IP, but the IP rarely changes and I use dyndns.org for dynamic DNS that makes it so I can always get to my server by name if the IP ever changes.

For backups, I just set scheduled DB backups. I don't need to backup quests/plugins because I use dropbox, which basically keeps real-time backups online as well as on my PCs that also use dropbox. It is really nice for keeping them all synced up.

I mainly use the public Login Server, but also have connections to the PEQ one and the TSA Hosting one that can be used if the main one is ever down as long as people have set a password on them from in-game. Having your own LS isn't a bad idea, but I just don't see much of a need for it these days since Rogean took over running the LS and it is very stable.

provocating
12-28-2011, 10:31 AM
That is actually a good idea on the login server Trevius.

I went ahead and did business internet, which actually lowered my bandwidth but now I have a static I.P.

I always did DynDns before but hell, I figure why not go ahead and get the business account. So if I read your message right, you use the eqemulator login server but you also have a way for the players to register for the backup public login server in case the other goes down ? I guess that means you would just have to stop the world, and then start it again with a different config ?

My new connection is 15mb / 2mb how many players do you think I can get ?

Also when I was reading your forums last night did I read correctly that you have mercenaries now ?

trevius
12-29-2011, 06:26 AM
Well, you can be connected to multiple LSs at once now. Here is an example config to set that up:

<!-- Loginserver information. -->
<loginserver1>
<host>eqemulator.net</host>
<port>5998</port>
<account></account>
<password></password>
</loginserver1>

<!--
<loginserver2>
<host>192.168.1.100</host>
<port>5998</port>
<account></account>
<password></password>
</loginserver2>
-->

<loginserver3>
<host>www.tsahosting.net</host>
<port>5998</port>
<account></account>
<password></password>
</loginserver3>

<loginserver4>
<host>login.peqtgc.net</host>
<port>5998</port>
<account></account>
<password></password>
</loginserver4>

Though, for your players to be able to log in through the other login servers, they need to have an account registered on it. Only certain trusted servers are allowed to let their players set their account password from in-game. Players can use the "#setlsinfo [email] [password]" command on trusted servers to register with the other login servers. This can be done on PEQ, and maybe on my server (Storm Haven) and possible 1 or 2 other servers.

Once their account has been registered on the other LSs, they can use them at anytime by changing their eqhosts.txt file. So, if the public LS is down, they can use one of the others. If they did not register their account on them, they will not be able to access them though.

With your 15/2MB connection, you can probably support 100-200ish players or so.

And yes, we do have monster mercs, but they are not the same kind from Live. They are just a custom temporary pet that we have setup and scripted.

provocating
12-29-2011, 10:01 AM
Players can use the "#setlsinfo [email] [password]" command on trusted servers to register with the other login servers. This can be done on PEQ, and maybe on my server (Storm Haven) and possible 1 or 2 other servers.

I have the Public Login Server running on my setup also. I am sure if I do some digging I will probably find a script here somewhere that allows a user to setup and account.