PDA

View Full Version : Some quests not cmpleting

Sourdough35
02-11-2012, 06:56 AM
Sourcing PEQ rev2100 on the newest Eqemulator compile, I'm seeing some of the quests don't work right. For example, the quests right in the tutorial. Giving Poxan his sword, you're supposed to get a response from him and a mask back. When I do this on PEQ TGQ, that's what happens. Doing it on my private server, the sword disappears but he doesn't respond. THe same thing happens with the woman who asks for mushrooms. She doesn't give a reward, but the mushrooms disappear. What have I done wrong?

joligario
02-11-2012, 08:11 AM
Probably your quests folder isn't set up properly.

Sourdough35
02-11-2012, 12:04 PM
Thanks, Will check on that when I can access my computer again.

But it's so straightforward, I don't see how it could be set up improperly. My quests folder just has all of the zone folders in it, each of which has all the quests for each zone. Gloomingdeep's files are there because I can check the quests I'm looking for and open their files. The text of Poxon's quest, for example, shows that he is supposed to respond when you give him an item. Not sure how else it should be set up.

To be clear, the NPCs I've checked respond with the appropriate text when you hail them. They send you off to do whatever fetch task they have, but when you bring it back, they don't complete the text.

joligario
02-11-2012, 12:32 PM
Ah, ok. Then did you copy all the plugins from the quests\plugins folder to the server\plugins folder?

Sourdough35
02-14-2012, 01:23 AM
You guys were right. Copies the plugins from Quests/Plugins to the server plugins folder and it works perfectly so far.

But if plugins cover such essential functionality, like NPCs responding on quest completion, why not just code them into the emu? Do some servers prefer different plugins/functions?

Harcourt
02-14-2012, 01:30 AM
My best guess at the official reasons:

1) You don't need to recompile when you change a script
1.5) It is faster to write scripts in Perl than C++
2) Perl is kind of a sandbox, there is limited damage you can do

lerxst2112
02-14-2012, 01:53 AM
But if plugins cover such essential functionality, like NPCs responding on quest completion, why not just code them into the emu? Do some servers prefer different plugins/functions?

They are part of peq, and they work with the peq quests. You could certainly write your own quests without them if you choose to, but you'd end up duplicating a lot of code, which is inefficient and becomes a huge maintenance headache when something changes and you need to change several hundred files rather than just a few.