PDA

View Full Version : possible to remove task activity?

jdoran
12-24-2013, 04:43 PM
I'm messing around with the quest journal, and am wondering if there is some way to remove a completed activity from the displayed list. (I'm sending packets to the client from my code, not using the existing task code)

The reason I'm messing with this is that I am curious if I could use the journal as a window onto a larger quest (displaying 19 activities out of a larger pool). I've spent 5 or 6 hours messing with the journal and am happy with the results, except for the case where the last few activities are completing (and the displayed list should shrink).

If I have two activities and complete the 2nd, this 2nd activity will still
remain. I can overwrite it with new data, but I cannot clear out that slot. The "done" and zone names at the right of the activity are spoiling the effect.

I've tried poking around with the OP_TaskActivity packet, thinking I could trick the client into thinking there was no longer an activity in that position. The client usually ignores my efforts.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

jdoran
01-02-2014, 12:51 AM
I've been meaning to update this for a bit, and finally have some free time. I have a workable (but not ideal) solution.

The quest journal can be reset by sending a task description (OP_TaskDescription) followed by a list of activities. I found that the key to properly shrinking the list was to ensure that the task description was sent with the flag set to bring up the quest journal.

Normally I can modify the quest journal without displaying it, but if I try to remove an activity without replacing the slot with another activity the original (removed) activity still displays. When the task description is sent and the journal is forced to display, it will clear out any old entries.

So it is now a minor annoyance. There are times during a quest when the journal pops open after a task update. But I have complete control over the contents of the journal now.