PDA

View Full Version : Akkadius provides hosting services right?

sunbeam
11-15-2014, 08:47 AM
What exactly are the parameters of this?

If for example you had a server that is now defunct, but you had access to the code and database for that server, what would you have to do to make it functional again?

Secrets
11-15-2014, 10:33 AM
What exactly are the parameters of this?

If for example you had a server that is now defunct, but you had access to the code and database for that server, what would you have to do to make it functional again?

You'd have to have the technical knowledge to keep the server up and maintained on Akkadius' hosting.
Akkadius charges money to keep the hosting up as well, so you'd have to pay monthly, it isn't a free service typically.

Hosting isn't just an EQEmulator server that stays running; it's a full fledged operating system that requires maintaining.

In terms of server software, there's a bunch of exploits that have been fixed in recent years so you'd have to either update the code or backport them to your codebase.
You would also need the quest scripts from your defunct server as well.

Beyond that it should just be 'compile and run'.

sunbeam
11-15-2014, 10:48 AM
Hmmm I really don't have the knowledge to do that. Plus I am between jobs and broke right now. Wasn't sure how it worked but Furniture has made the code and database for the Vengful Soloist available, so I was hoping it could be just a matter of copying it up.

Still there were a lot of bugs that needed to be fixed as Furn pointed out that would be if it were somehow merged with later versions of the code.

Probably wouldn't have been a good idea to do it as is.