PDA

View Full Version : Allow NPC to Emit Light?

Hateborne
01-20-2015, 09:56 PM
Evening ladies/gents/trolls,

I understand that this is a stupid question and has probably been asked before, but I could not find it on a brief search 'n' skim. Is there any way to make an NPC emit light similar to a player? I'm looking to equip sentry NPCs with a torch that emits light (similar to what a torch actually does :shock:), yet the torch equipped NPCs are still pretty much walking shadows.

Any advice/suggestions?

-Hate

Kingly_Krab
01-20-2015, 11:43 PM
There is a 'light' column in the npc_types table, I'm not sure if it's implemented or not. From what I see in the source, it doesn't do anything yet. So in the future you may be able to do this (if you can't already).

Uleat
01-21-2015, 12:45 AM
spawn packet: https://github.com/EQEmu/Server/blob/master/zone/mob.cpp#L901

load npc type(?): https://github.com/EQEmu/Server/blob/master/zone/zonedb.cpp#L1735

Not sure if that's the function we use to load npc types..but, it doesn't appear to load the `light` field data.

EDIT: I changed the code to load the field data and it's still not showing. I'll look at this a little more when I get home tonight.

Hateborne
01-21-2015, 02:21 PM
Thank you both for the input!

-Hate

Bohbo
01-21-2015, 07:41 PM
If you set torch in mainhand and edit the torch's item light features wouldn't that work?

Uleat
01-21-2015, 09:10 PM
I just pushed an activation of the light field in the npc_types loading code.

This will give any npc type an innate light source..so, use it carefully and sparingly.

I am working on enabling 'by instance' light sources based on equipment and/or other criteria - try not to get carried away with using the
innate light level.

All six clients tested positive for functionality and there is a 'primer' sql script that adds light levels to wisps and fire beetles in the optional
sql files folder (not sure where to get the live data from for all mobs...)

EDIT: Apparently, the server should update all equipment-based light changes..except for non-loading client light source change events.

Uleat
01-23-2015, 11:21 PM
I was able to add equipment light functionality to npcs and bots. As soon as I finish out the rest of the mob derived classes that need
special handlers, I'll push the change.

If anyone knows of a source of, or has access to, mob data that contains any innate light values..it would be greatly appreciated!
(I don't even know if mobs can have a non-equipment/-spell based light source..but, our system is setup to allow it.)