PDA

View Full Version : EQ Live Daybreak and P99

vsab
04-29-2015, 04:36 PM
Just in case you missed it, the fact that probably 90% of respondees to questions about the new progression server on EQLive was "make it like Project 1999" may have initiated this?

https://www.everquest.com/news/project-1999-daybreak

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191146&_ga=1.60687149.1406480530.1430339517

ghanja
04-29-2015, 04:41 PM
Hmmm. I'll say it. Because there are "guidelines" and the fact the agreement was entered in only with P99 exclusively (with no mention of EQEMU project as a whole), I do wonder what that means for all other non-P99 EMU's.

provocating
04-29-2015, 05:09 PM
Hmmm. I'll say it. Because there are "guidelines" and the fact the agreement was entered in only with P99 exclusively (with no mention of EQEMU project as a whole), I do wonder what that means for all other non-P99 EMU's.

Probably nothing at all. That they pushed their release back for Daybreak, well that is a bit concerning. Seems a bit too commercialized for me.

provocating
04-29-2015, 05:21 PM
https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/p99-agreement-and-its-impact-on-a-locked-server.219954/

Tyen05
04-29-2015, 06:45 PM
Kind of lame that Rogaine would push for an agreement for his server only instead of entire eqemu project >_<

Akkadius
04-29-2015, 07:07 PM
Kind of lame that Rogaine would push for an agreement for his server only instead of entire eqemu project >_<

It's a huge step, and small thinking to think otherwise.

We've been talking about it for a while now, just didn't know when it would become public.

provocating
04-29-2015, 09:27 PM
It's a huge step, and small thinking to think otherwise.

We've been talking about it for a while now, just didn't know when it would become public.

Well getting a signed letter instead of a C&D order, yeah it is huge. Overall it is a huge positive step. I just hope there is not anything ugly going on behind the scenes.

Akkadius
04-29-2015, 09:59 PM
Well getting a signed letter instead of a C&D order, yeah it is huge. Overall it is a huge positive step. I just hope there is not anything ugly going on behind the scenes.

What do you mean by ugly? What is there to be ugly?

provocating
04-29-2015, 10:02 PM
You never know. I just hope everything is on the up and up. I am just paranoid.

Akkadius
04-29-2015, 10:22 PM
You never know. I just hope everything is on the up and up. I am just paranoid.

Yes everything is fine. They come from a place of respect and understanding of fans and passion for the game. We've come from a place of integrity, it is mutual.

provocating
04-29-2015, 10:24 PM
Well good to hear. Sony was not as receptive.

Secrets
04-30-2015, 08:11 AM
I think this is a real good step in the right direction, as EQEmulator doesn't use or distribute any of DBG's code or server software.

It's really a landmark example of progress in the games industry. One can hope other companies follow in their stead in allowing fan based emulation, as long as the fans have recreated everything themselves.

chrsschb
04-30-2015, 10:38 AM
Can someone cliff what's actually going on? I can't access OPs links at work.

provocating
04-30-2015, 10:40 AM

https://davidtlamb.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/dogs-and-cats-living-together.png

mgellan
04-30-2015, 10:59 AM

Setting a precident isn't a bad thing - basically, if you do what P99 does (no RMT, no pirated content, respect their copyrights, disclaimers) then you can reasonably expect that Daybreak will treat you the same way as P99, and if you get big enough you can go for a letter. Seems like an incredible move forward from where we were previously, always teetering on the possibility that Sony would take our toys away. Bravo P99!

Regards,
Mg

rudeboy88
04-30-2015, 11:24 AM
This is awesome, a great step in the right direction :)

Secrets
04-30-2015, 11:32 AM

Project 1999 is officially recognized by Daybreak Games as a non-for-profit EverQuest emulation project.

chrsschb
05-01-2015, 09:10 AM
Interesting. I'm assuming some idea sharing and possible collaboration will result.

05-01-2015, 09:35 AM
We had no problem running for years and ignored C&D's. SOE's main team has always acknowledged us as that, huge EQ fans that can't let it die, they weren't coming for anyone.

I don't think this is giving the whole story around the table discussions between p99 and daybreak. A more initial 'agreement'/stage/idea involved money going to daybreak. I think that idea fell (I also said it wasn't really feasible) and this is just what he got instead?

I am just a bit confused at what everyone thinks this really accomplished for eqemu as a whole versus just P99. No offense, but I think he did this more for P99 (and for his own protection/reasons) than he did it for eqemu. Hidden guidelines not even explained to us other than their expansion release being moved...

devn00b
05-01-2015, 12:35 PM
Interesting. I'm assuming some idea sharing and possible collaboration will result.

Rogean rogean rogean...What happened to making all that $ and charging p99 players...

Id love to see this not for profit documentation. Along with all the rest of these under the table agreements that affect EQEMu as a whole, not just p99.

This puts other servers in an odd spot for sure, not knowing what you have agreed to.

chrsschb
05-01-2015, 01:25 PM
This puts other servers in an odd spot for sure, not knowing what you have agreed to.

Meh, at worst p99 runs off into the Daybreak fairy land. At best some IP makes its way into the EQEmu community to better our code.

At the end of the day DBG has no legal grounds against us.

Shendare
05-01-2015, 02:17 PM
I have been interested in the EQEmu scene for years, but every time I started to get excited and invest time into it, I found myself scared off by the thought that it could all be wiped away in an instant by some overzealous lawyers who were looking for a cheap excuse to run up a bill for SOE.

This 'agreement' gives me renewed hope, and is causing me to consider investing time and creativity into EQEmu again. I am also eager to see the limitations and agreements between P99 and Daybreak, though.

05-01-2015, 02:26 PM
open source doesn't get wiped away by overzealous lawyers. It is one thing if a private server owner went in and had an agreement (which I still think sets a bad precedent, as if we need some paper to say yea its ok to emulate you, reverse engineering is NOT ILLEGAL).

You just had the person running not only P99, but EQEmu's servers go into an agreement which might affect EQEmu inadvertently (I don't know since its some sealed guidelines).

You think Daybreak games feels any different now if someone put out a H1Z1 emulator that was full blown emulated or EQ Next? That will be getting C&D's right away don't fool yourselves. Corporations change like the wind blows you can't expect this to be a real answer they should have just acknowledged the eqemu community or emulators as a whole (community project).

Akkadius
05-01-2015, 02:42 PM
I've been on the "in" of these conversations.

All I've got to say is stop worrying.

Shendare
05-01-2015, 02:55 PM
open source doesn't get wiped away by overzealous lawyers.

You have greater faith than I in the reasonableness of lawyers and in dev communities' abilities to avoid legal bullshit thrown their way by corporations.

It is one thing if a private server owner went in and had an agreement (which I still think sets a bad precedent, as if we need some paper to say yea its ok to emulate you, reverse engineering is NOT ILLEGAL).

It shouldn't be, but there have been situations wherein companies have caused major headaches claiming that the reverse engineering of their products resulted in, among other things, "circumventing copy protections", running it afoul of the DMCA.

You just had the person running not only P99, but EQEmu's servers go into an agreement which might affect EQEmu inadvertently (I don't know since its some sealed guidelines).

You think Daybreak games feels any different now if someone put out a H1Z1 emulator that was full blown emulated or EQ Next? That will be getting C&D's right away don't fool yourselves. Corporations change like the wind blows you can't expect this to be a real answer they should have just acknowledged the eqemu community or emulators as a whole (community project).

I share the feeling of uncertainty, and have had great difficulty feeling there is any sense of immunity up to this point.

This is heartening, and strengthens my hopes that emulation's foundation is becoming less and less like quicksand as things progress.

Traul
05-01-2015, 06:52 PM
This is heartening, and strengthens my hopes that emulation's foundation is becoming less and less like quicksand as things progress.

You're paranoid man. This community has been around for well over a decade and has never been close to being shut down, and Everquest is only getting more obscure as the years go by.

The closest I've seen was Winter's Roar receiving a Cease and Desist order, but even then all they did was relocate their server and they were fine.

provocating
05-01-2015, 07:12 PM
You're paranoid man. This community has been around for well over a decade and has never been close to being shut down, and Everquest is only getting more obscure as the years go by.

The closest I've seen was Winter's Roar receiving a Cease and Desist order, but even then all they did was relocate their server and they were fine.

I remember when that happened. By the way, why did they finally close shop?

Shendare
05-01-2015, 07:15 PM
You're paranoid man.

That's a fair assessment. Thanks for the encouraging words. (No sarcasm.)

Tyen05
05-01-2015, 07:31 PM
We had no problem running for years and ignored C&D's. SOE's main team has always acknowledged us as that, huge EQ fans that can't let it die, they weren't coming for anyone.

I don't think this is giving the whole story around the table discussions between p99 and daybreak. A more initial 'agreement'/stage/idea involved money going to daybreak. I think that idea fell (I also said it wasn't really feasible) and this is just what he got instead?

I am just a bit confused at what everyone thinks this really accomplished for eqemu as a whole versus just P99. No offense, but I think he did this more for P99 (and for his own protection/reasons) than he did it for eqemu. Hidden guidelines not even explained to us other than their expansion release being moved...

I agree~~~~~~~~~

Gregalimule
05-01-2015, 09:28 PM
I remember when that happened. By the way, why did they finally close shop?
IIRC Winter's Roar turned into Shards of Dalaya after the C&D

vishnu
05-02-2015, 12:10 AM

http://i.imgur.com/lSPvMZa.jpg

sorry, I couldn't resist :D

Akkadius
05-02-2015, 12:20 AM
http://i.imgur.com/lSPvMZa.jpg

sorry, I couldn't resist :D

LOL

Well seriously. Doomsdaying is stupid.

We've all known doing this over the years that there is a possibility to be sent to a federal pound me in the ass prison or NOTHING WILL HAPPEN AT ALL.

The latter was extreme but still, yall need to stop freaking out. It's been mostly NOTHING AT ALL for what... 8+ years? However many it doesn't matter.

The dialogue between us and Daybreak has unveiled that they care about fan based projects and they've had several internal discussions about the emulation of EverQuest in general.

Tons of us have been involved in this project for this long because we love the game. Who in their right mind on their side of the fence would seriously shit all over some die-hard fans. Because that's what this community is.

We've always been respectful of intellectual property, flown under the radar and have tried to portray a general sense of integrity in all forms.

They deserve mad respect. To think otherwise is small thinking.

nenelan
05-02-2015, 06:57 AM
Who in their right mind on their side of the fence would seriously shit all over some die-hard fans.

Clearly you and I have had different dealings with the former owners of EverQuest =P

I kid, but seriously, I appreciate you guys entering in to this. It can hopefully only mean good.

joligario
05-02-2015, 07:17 AM
We've all known doing this over the years that there is a possibility to be sent to a federal pound me in the ass prison or NOTHING WILL HAPPEN AT ALL.

The latter was extreme...
You heard it here folks! Akka prefers the former... :p

emuzual
05-05-2015, 02:29 PM
folow the link on french site speaking about it :
http://www.jeuxonline.info/actualite/48006/daybreak-reconnait-officiellement-serveur-everquest-project-1999

a small step for Daybreak but a hug step for eq fans

PS : please change the link of P99 in server listing detail ;)

Shendare
05-05-2015, 02:38 PM
Nice.

Google translation:

Daybreak officially recognizes the EverQuest server "Project 1999"

MMO players seem to feed some interest in the "classic" servers (whether operated by publishers or the players themselves). After years of existence, the EverQuest server emulated "Project 1999" is officially recognized by Daybreak Game.

Often, MMO players retain fond memories of their first massively multiplayer game - not always for its intrinsic qualities, but because of the excitement of discovery. This is probably one of the reasons why many players now seem to appreciate the "classic" servers, these servers based on the original version of an MMO without the patches and extensions that did sometimes evolve during years of operation.

We know some players prone to frequent or even operate private servers to find these original versions of their MMO. To meet this demand (slightly nostalgic), some publishers themselves open such servers "classic" - as NCsoft for Lineage II , for example.

In this context, in sixteen years of operation, EverQuest hosted cohorts of patches and extensions and some players preferred to preferred version (almost) original on the server "emulated" Project 1999. For years (the server was launched in 2001), the late Sony Online was content to ignore the official server.

Today, as SOE became Daybreak Game, the studio brings his blessing to Project 1999 so that it will remain a "non-profit community project." Players will therefore continue to operate the server "without risk of prosecution".

The measure will probably not have a huge impact, or for the Project 1999 nor Daybreak Game. But community recognitions are still popular and also holds that the studio takes the measure of the interest of the players for the original version of grandpa of MMORPG .