PDA

View Full Version : Linux Server Setup Questions

Riklin
12-16-2015, 12:48 AM
So...

I took the plunge and converted my server computer over to Debian 8. Once I got everything configured, raid 10 drive set up, etc., I have started setting up a server using the Linux server guide.

Why do you run a Linux server on a virtual machine on a Linux machine? Why not just set up and run the server from the Linux machine itself?

I'm guessing I either took the guide too literally, I overcomplicated things (common for me), or there's a reason I am unaware of...

Thanks,
Riklin

provocating
12-16-2015, 09:03 AM
I have no idea why a person would do that other than snapshots. I run my Debian server on vSphere which is technically Linux, but there are also 10 other VM's running on the same server.

Huppy
12-17-2015, 01:37 AM
Why not just set up and run the server from the Linux machine itself?

I wouldn't have a desire to do it any other way. My Debian box has nothing
else on it, except the Debian OS and the EQ server/sql.
I do most of my server admin from a windows box on the lan.

markusdabrave
12-28-2015, 04:34 PM
I run mine in a VM because i only have one PC and it's my play thing :)

Shin Noir
12-31-2015, 03:10 AM
I've been mulling over setting up a docker container with eqemu on it.. That could eliminate the need to even need to follow all the steps.
And the Virtualbox is great for a test environment, if you use native linux, it all still applies.
If any steps get outdated or are unclear, let us know.

https://hub.docker.com/u/eqemu/dashboard/
If any other Dev gets interest in this lemme know.

Riklin
01-05-2016, 12:00 AM
The server has been up for 2 weeks now and it's working well.

Now if I can just get the EQ client to work with wine on debian 8...

Riklin

Huppy
01-06-2016, 07:09 AM
Now if I can just get the EQ client to work with wine on debian 8...

Riklin

I was able to get my UF running in debian. I just had to install the directx 9.0c in the
windows enviroment with wine.
Couple little tedious things to do described here :

http://www.dedoimedo.com/games/wine-directx.html

Shin Noir
01-07-2016, 07:57 PM
I made this link, was originally written for Mac using Wineskin utilizing the latest EQ, but wine has the same relative commands and steps in linux. I imagine it would work with EMU.

http://imgur.com/a/F8arA

Faydane
01-27-2016, 09:17 AM
I run mine Virtualized as well.

#1 - Portability. My primary PC is a notebook, and with the server running on a Virtualized server, I can access it from anywhere. The Tower it runs on stays behind (and hooked up to a UPS).

#2 - Backups. Get it running, power it down, and export the VM. Instant backup.

#3 - Encapsulation. Similar to #2, but an upgrade of WINE, x11vnc, kernel, etc, don't wreak havoc with the server. I can literally let it run on a snapshot of Cauldron (Mageia's dev arm) indefinitely, without foregoing updates on the rest of my software. Plus I can dedicate it 4 GiB of RAM and 1.6 (4x.4) processor cores and know that, no matter what it's doing, it can't bring the rest of the system to its knees.

#4 - Security. I can forward and open the ports to that VM, and that VM can only access 3306 on the SQL server, and that's it. I don't have to open 3306 or the EqEmu ports on my notebook, so I'm not in danger of having an intruder through an exploit of any of those. I just have to "worry" about someone absconding with my Staff of the Serpent...