PDA

View Full Version : Looking For A Good Solo Server

Phantons
04-15-2018, 09:38 PM
I'm wondering if there are any good, lots-of-content, solo servers. There's P99 when I want group-stuff, but play solo. I play EZ for when I want to box (I've been trying a solo character, but man is progression slow because of all the side grinding you need to do just to get somewhere). I'm looking for a server, though, where I can solo. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood to multi-box or manage MQ2. I don't mind if progression is slow, just not getting-nowhere-ever-slow.

Any suggestions?

vithmiris
04-16-2018, 11:39 AM
http://www.eqemulator.org/index.php?pageid=serverinfo&worldid=2662

lctucker2999
04-25-2018, 11:31 AM
Depending on what you're looking for might be worth trying to run your own server. If you don't mind bots, you can probably "solo" through raid content with minimal tweaking of your server settings.

I'm in an unfortunate situation where I want to see somewhat legit raid content, but I just can't commit more than an hour here or there. So I, with no Eq emu knowledge whatsoever, ran the installer and was up and running and have been enjoying my own little server for a couple months now.

jabedoben
04-25-2018, 09:11 PM
I'd give my left testicle to have Last World back.

GM Ash
04-27-2018, 10:22 PM
LW was awesome! My 2cp tho-

There's nothing on par with Irreverent's server running right now; he ran a very high quality, almost professional server for years. He had very little help in the kitchen, and was very good about tracking and fixing bugs, all while tuning raid encounters to true level-appropriate soloing. It was not all "faceroll easy" though, players had to know the mechanics and nuances of their class(es) and use potions, etc, to heal themselves, and his one custom "server challenge" zone (old PoHate 1.0) was tuned for cooperative duo and group play.

No one server "has it all" and even on Irrev's "legit" server, players complained about NOT having NPC buffers, custom clickies, etc, while still requiring backflagging/legit zone access, et cetera.

Most Solo-oriented servers running right now are highly customized, and strike me as being either too hard or too easy. It all comes down to your expectations as a player; I honestly have well-loved toons which I played a lot on Mort's revamped Raid Addicts server, also I liked Poru's Casual Dreams for a long time; he works very hard at raid encounter balance and pleasing his fans.

There are cross-over servers, but most require bots, and I'm no fan of bots really- BUT-- it is theoretically possible to run a good solo server with bots, and players simply not use them; OR with just enough bots to run LDoN missions or create a raid instance.

It takes a great deal of effort to take EQ into a truly soloable and fun and playable game; so much of the original game was based on interactivity and timesinks until TSS was released, but SOE/Daybork was already going downhill with their excuses about the obtuse difficulty of Gates of Discord and just couldn't compete with the newer, funner games back in 2003-4 like WoW and Guild Wars.

I run a Wrath-era private server on our home LAN just for my family, and tuned it fairly well for solo play with just the server config file settings, up to ICC, BUT it still isn't all truly "soloable"- and EQ is an even MORE robust and Complex game. It takes dedication and skill to go through the database and scripts to remove things like "death touch" and CC spells; banishment, fear, charm, dispel, and other nuisances and game breakers to most solo players of various classes.

I'm honestly looking for the same thing y'all are, but have been fairly happy as a player (particularly of casters) with what Osiris offers at 'Envy of the Irish'- it is a legit server (keys and flags, with some shortcuts), but one with a couple of nice server-specific charms, unique free newbie gear so you don't have to grind through the tutorialb or Drakkin newbie zone, and a unique lootable server alternative currency, which you convert to fun illusion items, mounts, and even giant bags of plat. Level limit is 65 and 99% of PoP and 90% of GoD are working, with top/max AA's being in the 600-ish range for each class. There are buffer-NPCs-galore in PoK and even Field of Bone at the newbie ramp, a 3+ tiered teleporter, and even a custom pet toys vendor. PoK is the hub zone on Envy, and NPCs guide you through the 'mandatory' quest to unlock the various buffing/porting NPCs in PoK. He has a 3-box limit by default, and there is a server message board, and, as far as GMs go in Emu communities, Osiris is quite helpful and responsive to player needs without "mongering" and being online 24/7/365.

Didn't mean for this post to be so long, or so critical, so sorry if my opinions run counter to popular thinking here! I've been a fan of solo servers for a long time; since Djeryv and Irreverent anyway.

Thanks for reading

"If ignorance is bliss, shouldn't stupider people be happier?"

Sturm
04-29-2018, 09:26 PM
Hope you find what you're looking for.

Cusser
04-30-2018, 01:12 AM
Find 30-40 players who all want the same thing, get all of them to come on this forum and tell me they do.I will build that server for them.

Maze_EQ
04-30-2018, 05:29 PM
Find 30-40 players who all want the same thing, get all of them to come on this forum and tell me they do.I will build that server for them.

www.firesofheaven.com

Enjoy :)

mjbcb0717
04-30-2018, 05:53 PM
www.firesofheaven.com

link not working, i tried playing on FOH it just sits on a blank screen :(

GRUMPY
04-30-2018, 08:26 PM
www.firesofheaven.com

Website has a great welcome screen too :P

The domain firesofheaven.com is for sale. To purchase, call Afternic.com at +1 781-373-6847 or 855-201-2286. Click here for more details.

jonnyx32
05-01-2018, 01:48 AM
This is the correct link:

http://www.fohemu.com/

I've been playing on this server for a few hours now. It's been pretty fun and soloing is not a problem. From what I read end game may need a couple people but that's down the road.

mjbcb0717
05-01-2018, 01:26 PM
Who even runs this server no one's posted on that site since 2014 lol any discord or something.

jonnyx32
05-01-2018, 08:22 PM
No idea who's running it but it's stable and I enjoyed getting my toon to 51 before I turned off xp. If you decide to play and don't feel like reading the patch notes, a couple quick things:

Spells and disc's are auto-scribed when you return to the starting zone (you start with a charm that gates you back).

There is a corpse summoner behind the merchant- I did a couple corpse runs before I figured this out.

The server is up to PoP. If you get the planar travel message bug in PoK just gate back to the starting zone. I found this out by not acknowledging I would be sent to the old zone when I went to Innothule.

No buffbot; there is a porter for pp that will send you to different continents to reduce run time.

XP is good and the mobs are scaled nicely.

Tl;Dr It's fun, it's solo, and hopefully it sticks around.

woton
05-14-2019, 06:45 PM
I have tried a every solo server I could find listed and none really appeal to me. Does anyone have plans of making a sever similar to Irreverent again?
I really liked that he kept the game mostly non custom. Now that Gates and Omens are finished by PEQ, there is a lot of content to explore.
I know, make it yourself if you cant find something you like, but I am so computer illiterate that I have no clue how to start.

Bigbad
05-14-2019, 07:18 PM
FlexQuest - http://www.eqemulator.org/index.php?pageid=serverinfo&worldid=2963
Range of players can be solo all the way to full raid ... Mobs scale dynamically in real-time. Current release is Velious. Planned through PoP.

woton
05-14-2019, 08:31 PM
FlexQuest - http://www.eqemulator.org/index.php?pageid=serverinfo&worldid=2963
Range of players can be solo all the way to full raid ... Mobs scale dynamically in real-time. Current release is Velious. Planned through PoP.

Already tried that server and while I absolutely love the mob scaling factor (kudos) Its just too modified for me. I do admit it does seem a lot of fun and would suggest people give it a look.

greenspectre
05-15-2019, 04:14 AM
Ironic that Sturm posted well wishes in this forum...considering how he runs one of the most solo-friendly servers I've played on. Imperium is like a solid 80% soloable, with 2 bots per account. I'd recommend making a second box just to pick up raid instances, but you can easily progress through at least half of GoD content solo. I think the KT trial where you need to hand in the Icon of the Altar is where I started really needing my ranger box, but I could have possibly geared or gotten more AA's first.

lgsource1
05-15-2019, 08:58 AM
Imperium is going to be your best bet. You go through normal content until its exhausted then move into custom content. Give it a try - I've been playing EMU for around 10 years on various servers and this is probably the best solo server and it has a reliable developer.

Dogmai9
05-15-2019, 12:21 PM
ImperiumEQ. It is custom/classic solo or box to level with some minor group content like epics.

woton
05-15-2019, 03:47 PM
Ironic that Sturm posted well wishes in this forum...considering how he runs one of the most solo-friendly servers I've played on. Imperium is like a solid 80% soloable, with 2 bots per account. I'd recommend making a second box just to pick up raid instances, but you can easily progress through at least half of GoD content solo. I think the KT trial where you need to hand in the Icon of the Altar is where I started really needing my ranger box, but I could have possibly geared or gotten more AA's first.

Tried it also, it is very custom. Im looking for as close to normal as possible.
If I knew how to make a server, I would make content up to Omens soloable then make a couple custom zones with fabled mobs and raid mobs from other expansions that max lvl players could cooperate on.

Sturm
05-15-2019, 05:08 PM
Grab Akka's repack, run it and source in the stuff from this thread: http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42039

Boom, solo server kinda like how you want it. Minor tweaks and you're off and running.

Good luck.

PS. It's not ironic that I wished him well in his search, I knew he wasn't looking for an Imperium like adventure already. haha
(but thanks for the kind words about Imperium) :D

woton
05-15-2019, 05:18 PM
Grab Akka's repack, run it and source in the stuff from this thread: http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42039

Boom, solo server kinda like how you want it. Minor tweaks and you're off and running.

Good luck.

PS. It's not ironic that I wished him well in his search, I knew he wasn't looking for an Imperium like adventure already. haha

Sorry for stupid questions, do I load up whatever version of EQ I have then add that pack somehow to it?

Also sorry for hijacking the Op's thread, but didn't think it would be ok to start another thread asking the same thing.

Sturm
05-16-2019, 10:08 AM
Sorry for stupid questions, do I load up whatever version of EQ I have then add that pack somehow to it?

Also sorry for hijacking the Op's thread, but didn't think it would be ok to start another thread asking the same thing.

Start here: https://github.com/EQEmu/Server/wiki

greenspectre
05-16-2019, 12:26 PM

Good luck.

Sturm, your amazing work on Imperium is responsible for the actual best times I’ve had on EQEmu. Your server is worth more kudos than I can give. I will never forget the rush I got when I first took down the boss of GoD, an expansion I completely skipped on live. Nor the feeling of taking down CM in Feerrott2 solo for the first time. Some of the best solo gameplay available!

Liquid741
05-17-2019, 04:47 AM
Honestly surprised there hasn't been hosting sites that allow the subscriber to customize their server to their own specific needs. I remember when Conan Exiles came out there were websites that hosted your server and you could change anything and all in the world. Not sure how much though there is in market demand though..but for someone like me who is an 'IDIOT' when it comes to anything related to changing something within a program I would pay for this.

chrsschb
05-17-2019, 10:49 AM
Honestly surprised there hasn't been hosting sites that allow the subscriber to customize their server to their own specific needs. I remember when Conan Exiles came out there were websites that hosted your server and you could change anything and all in the world. Not sure how much though there is in market demand though..but for someone like me who is an 'IDIOT' when it comes to anything related to changing something within a program I would pay for this.

I've thought about it but realistically how feasible is it to do something like this when the emu playerbase is only like 2000-3000 people.

Huppy
05-17-2019, 09:06 PM
I've thought about it but realistically how feasible is it to do something like this when the emu playerbase is only like 2000-3000 people.

Exactly. And with 140+ servers on the list already here, generally, only about a dozen, or so, ever see any kind of a population with the bigger percentage of that 3K player base up on the legends servers. Player base gets a little busier in the winter, when people have nothing to do, then slows down in the summer.

Liquid741
05-18-2019, 09:48 PM
Have you thought about making a video tutorial? I'd definitely donate for a slight in depth tutorial on how to set up a solo server. Or in fact a step by step guide written for this..I have 0 knowledge of what SQL is and honestly most of the information seems to be in several posts or I havent found the one that details set-up. For some this might seem petty, but like I said in previous post I'm an idiot when it comes to working with programs and their files. I'm great with youtube tutorials, but not much else. If this interests you, PM me or post.

woton
05-19-2019, 01:29 AM
Have you thought about making a video tutorial? I'd definitely donate for a slight in depth tutorial on how to set up a solo server. Or in fact a step by step guide written for this..I have 0 knowledge of what SQL is and honestly most of the information seems to be in several posts or I havent found the one that details set-up. For some this might seem petty, but like I said in previous post I'm an idiot when it comes to working with programs and their files. I'm great with youtube tutorials, but not much else. If this interests you, PM me or post.

We must be related.

Hondo
06-02-2019, 11:51 PM

Does anyone know if there's a way to enable bots with Akkadius' Server installer?

I've installed it, merged in the above solo player rules, and everything was working great, but I'd really love to add bots to this. I've tried the server command line "assets" upgrade for bots, but it complains that the binaries are not enabled for bots.

Sounds like a blast! Thanks.

phantomghost
06-03-2019, 05:52 AM
Does anyone know if there's a way to enable bots with Akkadius' Server installer?

I've installed it, merged in the above solo player rules, and everything was working great, but I'd really love to add bots to this. I've tried the server command line "assets" upgrade for bots, but it complains that the binaries are not enabled for bots.

Sounds like a blast! Thanks.

Not sure why that wouldn't work. Whenever, I run eqemu_server.pl it works. You could try moving the file to a new folder and having it build a new db so hopefully bots work. There is a way to get those binaries but I don't remember it without searching on these forums how to do it.

Hondo
06-03-2019, 02:19 PM
Not sure why that wouldn't work. Whenever, I run eqemu_server.pl it works. You could try moving the file to a new folder and having it build a new db so hopefully bots work. There is a way to get those binaries but I don't remember it without searching on these forums how to do it.

Ok, I got it working. I think the problem was I ran the "window_server_download_bots" command while the server was running. Sorry, I'm new to all this.

So, what worked for me was:

1) Make sure the server is not running.
2) Run "eqemu_server.pl"
3) Use command "assets" then "window_server_download_bots"
4) Then go back to "main" and run "setup_bots". Not sure if this last step is necessary.

Now bots work. Thanks for your response, phantomghost! At least I knew what I was doing should be working. I just had to shutdown the server first.

Uleat
06-03-2019, 02:41 PM
We recently updated the bots binary download to pull from the unstable build artifact.

https://github.com/EQEmu/Server/commit/2690e4de4d7c65e02adf49ce5b142e0092d455bb

Maybe, at some point, we can update the script to have the option for both stable and unstable downloads.

P.S. This question would have probably been better suited in its own thread ;)

Irreverent
07-16-2019, 03:16 PM
Hrm...look what forums I found.

...pondering

woton
07-16-2019, 03:56 PM

...pondering

You're alive?!!

Maze_EQ
07-16-2019, 04:46 PM

...pondering

plz bring up irreverent kleen

jakalecax
07-17-2019, 04:13 AM
THE Fabled Irreverent!

:]

Eastwood
07-24-2019, 10:37 PM
Irreverent was fantastic!

ZeitGeistDoc2
08-05-2019, 06:17 PM
Think I accidentally posted somewhere else. Hunted down my eqemu login just to post... Irrev! Come baaaack. Nothing has filled the void that you left.

I can donate a little to help with server costs or whatever..just sayin.

Somethin somethin med school..growing family, no time for large raids or multiboxing..blahblabhh..

I neeeed a solo server. But also one with other people on it for funsies.

cloudwindeq
08-19-2019, 02:03 AM
Irreverent is legend.

King's Lair is a good solo server.

woton
08-19-2019, 04:47 AM
Irreverent is legend.

King's Lair is a good solo server.

I had some fun on King's Lair, but even after they bumped the number of bots we could use to 11 there are still too many encounters that just cant be done. Dencelle is working on a solo server atm and allows us to play there. Mobs are better tuned for solo play and he is on a lot to get feedback.

gizmo76
12-28-2019, 09:08 AM

...pondering

Stop pondering!

The server was great fun, and was a (MMORPG) tragedy when it went offline. I'd encourage you to bring it back. It is missed.

tmoney2983
12-31-2019, 02:55 PM
Irreverent??!! What a sight for sore eyes. I've been looking for a server to match the magic that your server had for years now with no dice. Closest that's come to it so far has been Imperium. But it's just not the same. I really hope you're serious about coming back

Vexium
07-26-2020, 06:06 PM
ohey there. these names are familiar. ;)

jabedoben
07-27-2020, 03:07 PM
I'd give my left nut to bring back Last World. That was by far my favorite solo server.

klipche
08-07-2020, 05:20 PM
I think Profusion is a pretty legit solo play without it all be customized.

jsr
11-19-2020, 08:52 AM
Aussie Crew is aimed at solo-group, progression based no hubs. Under development.