PDA

View Full Version : Help with zone coordinates

Arley McFarley
03-04-2003, 05:32 AM
Hello, I just got my LAN server set up and running. As a note for others with trouble, I had to give each computer on my LAN an id number in the accounts table, via the Admin Tool. It works fine. Thanks for all the hard work, developers!

Now that I have a server up, I've had the kids zoning around to check things out. I'm running into a couple of snags and hope someone can assist.

1. I don't quite understand the relationship between LOC coordinates and the zone in coordinates. We hit some zones, like East Commonlands from West Freeport, and enter above the treetops, crashing to death. When I checked the Admin tool for the z coordinate, it was something like -2400. When we survive the fall, the LOC z coordinate is nothing like that.

-- Can someone give me a brief lesson on this relationship? I want to fix my zone in points to be the same as EQLive. Same LOCs and all.

2. Some zones lock up the character and crash to the server select screen. Permafrost, Befallen, Cazic Thule, so far, crash the client. The zone actually stays up and indicates one character still in the zone, but we can't get in to retrieve the character and the GM #summon command will not pull the character out.

-- Any idea why this happens?
-- Any idea how we can fix it?
-- Any tips on retrieving that character?

3. Relevant to #2, in Permafrost, the character suddenly falls down and the message indicates he is unconscious. He doesn't fall from a great height; I have no idea why he suddenly becomes unconscious. He can't camp out or get up for more than a few seconds before he's unconscious again or the client crashes. He seems to have about 60 seconds, but the GM #summon command from a different character can't pull him out.

Perhaps some of the zones are still a little buggy. That's okay. I appreciate the work done so far. If anyone can lend me any insight, I'll try to address these problems.

Thanks, again, for the emu and for all the help in the chatroom. I must have sounded like a complete bumblehead, at times, in the IRC.

Arley
:roll:

Arley McFarley
03-05-2003, 02:26 AM
Maybe my note was too long.

Can anyone describe the relationship between actual, in-game LOCs and zone x-y-z coordinates? Especially z-coordinate. It seems the altitude of the character zone-in point is not consistent with the /loc data for that location.

For example:
I zoned from West Freeport to East Freeport and the zone-in point was at the docks and about 30 feet in the air, relatively speaking. The fall for damage for a level 1 equates to instant death.

I used the Admin tool to change the z-coordinate for the zone-in point (I believe it was -24, originally) to a few different values and eventually got to a relatively safe landing with a value of -4800 or so.

This did not match the z value in the /loc command.

Where is 0, 0, 0 location in the actual game zone? 0 value for z-coordinate must be an astronomic altitude if -4800 puts you closer to the ground at that /loc.

Then, again, perhaps I'm just not reading my information clearly.

Does anyone have a response for this inquiry?
Perhaps I should be posting this request for info in the developer or worldbuilder section.

Any help would be appreciated.

Arley McFarley
03-06-2003, 03:34 AM
I found another post where Drawde suggested using the #LOC command to acquire the actual x, y, z coordinates used for zone points, rather than standard /loc output.

I also noted comments regarding the transposition of the x and y coordinates. I'm using the Admin tool v3.9 and the zone points tab shows this transposition.

I'll try to acquire accurate #LOC data and input that info into the zone points tab in the Admin tool to see if that fixes my zone-in points. I'd like to have the zone-in points as accurate to EQLive as possible. Maybe this will fix some of the other zone in problems I've encountered.

Although, I've noted comments, too, which seem to report the actual zone coords are stored in cfg files. This seems a little confusing to me, as some comments suggest the Admin tool does not work for zone-in points in all zones. Trial and error testing will prove if the Admin tool works for my problem.

Any input would be welcome, dev or support team.

Thanks,
Arley