PDA

View Full Version : Remote Access to Admin Tool?

qwell03
04-21-2003, 07:55 AM
Hi folks,
I had heard there is a way to remotely access a persons DB through Admin Tools. My friend owns a server and I want to help him setting stuff up and it would be much easier to do it remotely than having to go over to his place and hog up all his time. I found the location in preferences to put in the host and passwords and stuff, however... He is behind a router NATing out to his local machines. Is there something special I need to do because of this? Or is this even possible? I guess if worse comes to worse we could just do terminal server.

Trumpcard
04-21-2003, 08:11 AM
Not hard to do.. 1st, he'll need to port forward his mysql port to the database box from the router (3306 most of the time). Then, he'll need to set the username/password up in mysql to accept connections from any ip address, or your specfic ip address.

You can get instructions on the usage of the mysql GRANT system in the mysql docs at www.mysql.com

qwell03
04-21-2003, 09:10 AM
Ok groovy, we will give it a try. Also one last question, do I need mySql as well, or just the Admin Tool since I will be accessing his DB?

Trumpcard
04-21-2003, 10:32 AM
Just the admin tool...