PDA

View Full Version : trained skills

loudent2
05-20-2003, 07:50 PM
I have a server set up and everything seems to be working fine. However, any skill not started with fails to train or raise properly.

What happens is I go to the trainer open up the train dialog and select a skill. The training points go down and the skill I trained goes up. I can close out of the train dialog and open up my character skill list and the trained skill is there.

However, As soon as I zone the skill gets reset to 0. No matter how I do it a trained skill will not stay trained. I can manually set the skill with a GM account and that will successfully set a trained skill at whatever but then, no matter what, it will not increase.

This happens every time with apparantly every character. I've tried it with warriors, necromancers, monks it all works the same way.

Any ideas?

haloboycs
05-21-2003, 12:55 AM
i think thats what #save for...

loudent2
05-21-2003, 08:04 AM
Don't think that has anything to do with it. I believe I tried #save and it simply didn't do anything.

In addition, even if #save worked, it still doesn't solve the problem of these skills not raising through use.

Mullzy
07-09-2003, 05:11 AM
I have the exact same problem on my own server. Any trained skills are immediately forgotten about if you zone or log off. I've used #save and also tried leaving my char logged in for a while to catch a couple auto-saves; no dice.

Kinda hard to play any sort of a caster if your channelling, meditation, evocation... etc skills all reset to zero every time you log.

Is there a fix?

dcl
07-09-2003, 05:14 AM
Sort of.... use the #setskill command.

Bigpull
07-09-2003, 06:55 PM
It's a database problem mentioned atleast twice elsewhere in the forums

http://forums.eqemu.net/search.php <-- your best friend

dcjoedog
07-10-2003, 06:12 AM
how about being the bigger man and pointing to a few pages instead of being a doofus and saying use search

i have no idea what to look up so i cant point to it, otherwise i would

a_Guest03
07-10-2003, 07:09 AM
joe, you don't have to pick on bigpull or the other devs when you want help. Remember that he is a dev (or I thought he was, despite his "doesn't know better" rating), and that you are one of 100's of people asking for free chunks of his time every month, outside of his self-made commitment to code eqemu.

Trumpcard
07-10-2003, 08:13 AM
How about being a bigger man and look for yourself rather than developers having to handfeed you..

You can type what you want to search for as easily as we can...

dcjoedog
07-10-2003, 11:06 AM
i dont know the technical term for this problem, when he would

he could have said search for "term" and go from there

geez, why is everyone so testy, just because he codes in his free time for enjoyment doesnt mean i gots to kiss anyone's butt

if he does it, he must enjoy, if not it would be a job
so get off my back

Trumpcard
07-10-2003, 01:36 PM
You really need to work on your communication skills then...

Saying, 'Why don't you be a bigger man and pointing to a few pages instead of being a doofus and saying use search' is not the way to ask for assistance... Now, I really don't think anyone wants to lift a finger to help you just because of HOW you asked for help.

You managed to just insult one of the hardest working dev's in the project (BP has busted his butt for eqemu) and show your unwillingness to try and learn something for yourself all in one stroke...

Why is everyone so testy? Maybe some people *GASP* get offended being called a doofus and a 'small' man...

dcjoedog
07-10-2003, 06:29 PM
ok let me ask this straght up, what do you get out of this project
its not money, so is it the fame?

nah, i think you just enjoy to code something thast you will actually enjoy

but to me it seems some devs are on an ego trip, and getting swelled heads

Lasiel
07-10-2003, 06:44 PM
Yeah telling you to use search shows he has a swelled head. Do you actually think before you type? Your response cements Trump's pov, you need to work on some comm skills and stop acting like a child.

dcl
07-11-2003, 01:45 AM
I'm sure the devs do enjoy coding.

I'm equally sure the devs do not enjoy having to read constant ridicule on these boards.

As long as the enjoyment outweighs the nonenjoyment, we all benefit from their hard work.... the day the nonenjoyment outweighs their enjoyment.... well, let's just say you'd better learn to code your own emu.

a_Guest03
07-11-2003, 02:57 AM
joe, you seriously need to watch your communication skills, like Trump said. Being as irritating as you could have permanent consequences to your well-being in the long term. I'm not threatening you, but I used to be as defensive and offensive as you, and I got in a lot of fights for being an annoying little bastard. It's unnecessary to verbally assault someone who is helping you. Your parents and teachers may put up with it, but that won't be tolerated for long here.

It's free, so don't complain and don't insult. Trumpcard and bigpull are creating wonderful things and giving them to us free. Gratitude is all you should be dishing out. This mixed insult gig you pull in here is so offensive. I wish you would just be polite.

I haven't seen any ego trip. I have seen only self-defense from the constant onslaught of rude children like yourself. You act like you know something about the world. I don't think you know anything about bigpull or Trump, or how adults operate.

dcjoedog
07-11-2003, 05:50 AM
well im no child, so we can drop that

i only stick up for what i beilive, so if i didnt care about the project i would have left long ago

that being said, i also like to say things straight up, sometimes it comes out as offensive because i , in all honesty, have ittle to no tact

i just say things without looking at the consequences, so i will look to work on that in the future for here

but i dont see why i should have to change, all i offer is my pov on any given subject, you can also choose to ignore it as well

Trumpcard
07-11-2003, 06:37 AM
Calling BP a dufus may be your opinion and right, but you have to remember that its well within his to ban you out of pure spite if he felt so inclined. I doubt he would do it, but thats not the point, there are plenty of trigger happy people that would.

In this case theres really no harm done , but just try to be a little more polite to the community, developer or not.. No one is asking for worship, gratitude or praise, but an ounce of respect will go a long way.