PDA

View Full Version : OpenZone 1.0

Windcatcher
06-05-2003, 10:52 AM
On the EQ Development forum there was a question about making our own zones. I've had a program for a while now that can make .WLD files that you can use, but only at the cost of overwriting existing ones (it's an EQ limitation, not an OpenZone one). The program lets you create scene files or import existing ones and export them to .WLD, but that's only scratching the surface. It also includes a script parser that makes it really easy to add more things to the zone geometry, like buildings, staircases, or anything else you can script.

There's a lot it can't do, like put in placeable objects (trees, torches, and such), but there's a lot it *can* do. Think of it as a proof-of-concept program that would be a good starting point toward making original zones.

I've typed up some basic documentation for it, and it has sample scene files that you can immediately export to .WLD and try out. To really get the full use of the program, you should place the textures it needs in the appropriate folder; the docs tell you how to do this.

THIS PROGRAM IS TOTALLY UNSUPPORTED. I'm washing my hands of it, and the source is included (I can't even begin to tell you how sick I am of working on it). I'll entertain questions at the start for people who want to get started using it, but don't even ask me for bugfixes :P

It's in the SourceForge files section. You can get there from the "Files" link on the left side of the EQEmu homepage.

Wind

Lurker_005
06-05-2003, 11:37 AM
Just a FYI for those wanting to make zones. Be aware that some objects are placed as doors. Yea I know wierd. See DB Addon's door table data for some examples. The main thing I remember is boxes, but I think there were also torches and some other objects. Perhaps someone could figure out what is allowed by the doors table, and why.

Windcatcher
06-05-2003, 11:45 AM
GFay lifts are doors also. Like he said, weird...

Jay
06-08-2003, 07:36 AM
Hey Windcatcher! Nice tool! This is what I have been waiting for!

One quick simple question though, I hate to ask even. In your documentation you state that it IS possible with OpenZone to import a pre-existing mesh from another 3D application, such as Lightwave or 3D Studio Max, and import it into OpenZone to export as a WLD file. I was wondering how this is possible as I cannot find an import tool in the menu.

Windcatcher
06-08-2003, 09:51 AM
No. What I meant is that, since the .SCN format is text-based and since mesh objects support generic triangle primitives, you could theoretically convert the output of any other 3D program to an .SCN file and encode it as a mesh object. That part is for you to do :)

WC

Jay
06-09-2003, 09:57 AM
Ok, I've been playing with the tool a bit and I must say it is VERY easy to use! Many thanks Windcatcher! Finally I have the ability to create all new zones based off of my writings. I hope someday everyone will check out my server when it's ready for an all new experience.

Thanks again Windcatcher!

DeletedUser
06-09-2003, 11:59 AM
Good job, yet again you amaze me at what you make Windcatcher.

But this is just a good way for people with no clue to start releasing custom zones and find SoE at their door step.

Windcatcher
06-09-2003, 12:44 PM
If they release the bare .WLD files, they're okay, but anyone putting out whole .S3D files is asking for it unless they replace *all* of the other files inside. There are lots of public-domain textures out there and software for making more, but the sticking point will be the placeable objects. Unless someone can figure out how to place them (or at least release a totally empty one that anyone can use), custom zones won't look like much.

Edit: Here's a program that people can use to make their own textures: http://www.texturemaker.com/
It costs USD$70, but it might be worth it if you're seriously considering making your own zones...

WC

P.S. With the scripting language, there's a real opportunity for people to accelerate the zone development process by writing object scripts and releasing them. The more kinds of scripts, the faster custom content can be created.