PDA

View Full Version : Making my own Server -- Private vs. LAN vs. Internet?

Mullzy
06-06-2003, 07:03 AM
I've read through the readme's and will be creating my own server this weekend, but I'm confused about something. Please assist. :D

I want to create a private server, just for myself to run around and see some of the content I missed when playing EQ. Fully exploring places like Siren's Grotto, Dragon Necropolis, and newer PoP zones -- with or without spawns. I'd like a couple old EQ friends to be able to drop in and do the same sort of exploration. I'm not planning this to be a playable server really... I just want to *see* all the zone files I've purchased over the years.

So here's my problem. I'm not making a server for public use, so I don't want it to show on the EQemu server list. I don't want it to be a private LAN server because I want a couple people to be able to hit it over the internet. So what type of server do I set up? Do I set up as per the readme but run my own Login server (giving my IP to my friends so they can edit there host files and log in to it)?

Can someone please clarify?

Thanks!

Merth
06-06-2003, 07:47 AM
There is a way to run your own login server, but I've not messed around with it. It's called MiniLogin.

One way to accomplish what you want to do is set up the server normally, but leave the server locked. Only GM's (status 100+) can get past the server select screen when the server is locked.

Mullzy
06-06-2003, 09:02 AM
Ah cool thanks. I'll just do that then. Probably a lot easier than playing with the minilogin program.

ozme
06-08-2003, 03:17 PM
minilogin is not hard to setup at all actualy i got it to work before i got my server to work on eqemu's login server (unfortunatly people cant play on my server cause of me being on 56k oh well but all u have todo is create the accounts file for minilogin and then get the ip addresses of your friends and put them in there alongwith there usernames and passwords that should do it and give them your ip address so they can setupt there eqhost file to connect to your loginserver, never tested it but it should work if you try this and cant get it to work send me a email v6greenfbird95@yahoo.com