PDA

View Full Version : OpenZone 1.9

Windcatcher
06-29-2003, 01:23 PM
1. Added the ability to group and ungroup objects. Basically you select a bunch of objects and click Object...Group, or use the group button on the toolbar. You will be prompted for a group name, after which a group object will be created containing the objects. All objects' coordinates, rotations, sizes, etc. will be changed so they are relative to the group. The group can be dissolved by selecting it and clicking ungroup. Only objects that all have the same parent object can be grouped. You can nest groups within groups, to whatever degree you like.

2. Objects can be moved from one group to another by selecting an object on the treeview and dragging it to the place desired. Entire groups can be moved this way, but only one object (or group) can be moved at a time. The object that is moved will have its coordinates, angles, etc. changed to reflect its new parent.

3. Added clipboard support. A single object (or group) can be placed on the clipboard. The standard Cut, Copy, and Paste operations apply. When an object is pasted it is put on the root of the object tree, but it can be moved to a group like any other object.

4. Moved the Object...Delete menu item to the Edit menu so it sits with Cut/Copy/Paste.

5. General GUI improvements, like button glyphs on menus, menu separators, etc.

6. Quite a few internal bug fixes and code simplifications.

7. Changing an object's properties while in bird's-eye mode will preserve your viewpoint instead of resetting it to the default. You'll see a momentary flicker as it resets it but it will then be restored to where it was last.

As soon as I finish here I'm going to update my zone, textures, etc. on the FTP site with a new version that takes advantage of 1.9's features. Once I do, you'll need to upgrade to 1.9 to play with the .SCN file.

WC

IANumtin
06-29-2003, 02:55 PM
Nice work, Windcatcher! :D

IANumtin
06-29-2003, 03:06 PM
Hmm, after DL'ing it and installing I got an error when trying to open.

Failed to retreive tab at index -1

The program itself opened but no tabs at the top to build with. Tried loading in one of my .SCN files and the tree was populated, still no tabs and the 3D window was blank.

Windcatcher
06-29-2003, 03:53 PM
Is your scripts folder empty?

WC

IANumtin
06-29-2003, 03:59 PM
Nope, I checked all the folders. Everything is where it suppose to be. I did get it to work. I noticed outside the Open Zone folder the Application to run the program was there. There was also one inside the folder where it's suppose to be. When I used the one inside the folder, it ran 1.8. I copied and pasted the one outside the folder (the one I originally tried to use) to inside the folder and overwrote the 1.8 version application, double clicked, and bingo...got it going. Not sure you intended to put the 1.9 app outside or not but..../shrug.

Works great though. I just grouped an entire building and moved it around, hehe. I like this version :P

EDIT: I like the way this one runs. Loads much faster, changes come in quicker and it seems as though I can move around faster when in fly mode.

Windcatcher
06-29-2003, 04:36 PM
Ah, I get it. I turned off the option to save folder info when I made the ZIP file (and I shouldn't have).

I like the grouping, too. I added another building to my test zone in about two minutes flat. It's on the FTP site :)

WC

IANumtin
06-29-2003, 04:45 PM
Copy/Paste works quite well also. It used to take me quite a while to add multiple things like walls or columns. Now I just copy and paste and it saves me a ton of time.

I'm starting to make more textures and also a heightmap or two to use. I'll send those off to Edgar when I've got a few more.

Windcatcher
06-29-2003, 11:29 PM
I just replaced the bad ZIP file with a good one for anyone else who wants to download it. It might take up to an hour for it to make it to all of SourceForge's download mirrors.

WC

Hardy
06-30-2003, 09:51 AM
Why couldn't you have released this kind of stuff when I still played? hehe. Awsome job :) These types of programs might just get me back into playing eqemu. Keep up the good work WC!!

a_Guest03
06-30-2003, 10:28 AM
You know you want to, Hardy. All the cool kids do it... Just one won't hurt you.

Submit to the peer pressure!

Hardy
06-30-2003, 10:37 AM
But as you can see by my sig, I am working on D2 mods now. Maybe I can fit eqemu in there somewhere. Only prob is my computer is messed up. After I get a new computer, I should have more free time. Making zones would be hella fun! :wink:

*edit* Not sure if I can come back though, when I left you had like 50 less posts than me, now look at ya :P Don't think I can catch up! hehe.

Memener
06-30-2003, 03:04 PM
openzone is hard to use it give my eys hert. i am not complaing i thihnk it is cool on what your doing. now just wondering if you ever played unreal you know it has a 3d editor and you can make your own textures, could this be changed to edit the everquest zone files?

also the unreal editor can export maps as .t3d files

Just a thought

IANumtin
07-01-2003, 12:55 PM
Windcatcher, I keep getting an error whenever I export to an .s3d file from any .scn file, doesn't matter which one.

error: List index out of bounds (-31898)

It comes at the very beginning of "setting region size and positions" cycle. Any clue on what this is? I can't seem to create any .s3d, even the arena .scn that I haven't changed since I put it out won't work.

Windcatcher
07-01-2003, 04:16 PM
Have you changed your water level settings? Specifically, do you have more than one water area with different levels?

I realized yesterday that my code that breaks the mesh into regions wasn't nearly perfect, and I've learned a *lot* more about how the collision tree really works. I'm currenly rewriting how the tree is built (I'm trying to do it the right way this time).

Try setting all your water/lava areas to have the same level, and let me know if that helps in the meantime.

WC

IANumtin
07-01-2003, 08:41 PM
Only one body of water and it's set at level "0". No other changes as I mentioned before. It's doing this no matter what .scn I use, including the arena.scn I created and successfully exported to .s3d before.

Windcatcher
07-02-2003, 01:56 AM
Probably a bug somewhere. I opened your arena.scn last night and I was able to export it...give me a few days to finish the rewrite of the region code and perfect it. I think it will make things a lot more stable.

WC

Windcatcher
07-02-2003, 04:52 PM
Ahhhh. I found the problem. The way I was implementing it was causing a crash if you had more than 32767 vertices in your mesh. This is easily possible with a large zone. Not to worry, my rewrite is almost complete and it's a *lot* cleaner and better (it has a lot more flexibility in what it can support, too). I'm pretty confident I can have a working OpenZone 2.0 up tomorrow.

Wind