PDA

View Full Version : EQEmu External Commander

Mortamer
07-02-2003, 05:49 PM
Hi everyone! I am releasing my first public version of EQEC (EQEmu External Commander). Its still in beta, but it works pretty good. It was developed by me with the help of Necronomikron. EQEC lets you connect to servers with your account and a password, you can send tells, receive tells, use OOC, and you can even admin a server! You have access to many of the admin commands like kick, and flag. A full list of the commands can be found in commands.txt or by typing a question mark once your connected to the server. You do not need any of the EQ files to run EQEC, so if you cannot play EQEmu due to having incorrect EQ files, you can still talk to your friends or even admin a server. If your interested, make sure to read the Readme for more details. To download EQEC, go to http://eqec.arzok.com/EQEC.zip

Edit: Got a real host :)

07-02-2003, 06:11 PM
(one of the two devs) Ahh, handy tool, if you know how to use it, basically, it takes the place of the telnet terminal, for ease of use.

DeletedUser
07-02-2003, 08:59 PM
interesting.

burthold
07-03-2003, 02:45 AM
is this a vb program? if so, could you send the source code? I'm trying to work out telnet and vb.

thanks,
Wes

Mortamer
07-03-2003, 03:23 AM
Actually, EQEC is closed source.

Shadowrun[EQ]
07-03-2003, 02:27 PM
closed source. . .boooooo.

hehe j/k

Nice job guys.

Mortamer
07-03-2003, 03:38 PM
Glad you like it Shadowrun!

Mortamer
07-04-2003, 06:35 AM
I added Mswinsck.ocx to the zip file because some people were complaining they were missing that ocx file.

Bigpull
07-04-2003, 10:27 AM
Release the source or i'm apt to have this post pulled, sorry we're an opensource community, and i for one trust code i can't see about as far as my skinny ass can kick a 500lb coder. Considering the security issues i hope you can understand.

Bigpull
07-04-2003, 10:56 AM
Patcher was a hack contributed to us, we don't have the rights to release it. Point out another closed source app released here and i'll be happy to knaw on thier asses too so you don't feel picked on.

07-04-2003, 11:04 AM
Ozme's EQlauncher, for one.

Bardboy
07-07-2003, 06:54 AM
WindCatchers EQAdmin Tool?
There are a few 'closed source' apps out there. I don't understand what the problem is. Only certain people can choose to not disclose thier source code? Let us in on the rules please.

Merth
07-07-2003, 07:10 AM
WindCatchers EQAdmin Tool?
I haven't downloaded 4.7, but 4.6 had the source code lying right there in the same directory as the executable.

Mortamer
07-08-2003, 04:48 PM
to the devs: can I keep working on this? I mean, it seems stupid to shutdown a 3rd party app because you don't trust it, just don't use it yourself =/.

killspree
07-08-2003, 08:36 PM
You have to look out for the security of your userbase as much as your own - I'm not surprised they're a bit skeptical.

Trumpcard
07-09-2003, 12:13 AM
Personally, i've seen mort around and and talked with him enough to get a feel that he's probably not going to trojan your system...

I wouldnt use it if the source code wasnt provided, but thats me, im skeptical.. We as internet users probably install and run tons of freely available software..

I'd urge you to release the sourcecode with it unless you had some pressing reason not to, but it's ultimately your decision, we can't stop you from doing what you want, but we can respond only in a limited capacity should you turn out to be a nefarious little b**tard.... LOL...

So, my 2 cents is, keep working on it if you like, consider releasing the source along with it, but to all EQEMU users, use this at your own risk.. There has been eqemu code released the same ways, packetcollector, minilogon, for different reasons of course, but users took the risk with them also, I was one of them....

DeletedUser
07-09-2003, 07:26 AM
well put trump, couldn't have said it better.

Shadowrun[EQ]
07-09-2003, 10:01 AM
hehe, release the source!!!

I just wanna see how it works, kind of the way i learn how to program. But if you don't I'm not worried bout it too much.

Good little proggie, like i said before, except for that nasty little virus that came with it. . .lol j/k.

And j/k bout the virus part. Lemme say it again JUST KIDDING!

keep up the good work.

Bardboy
07-10-2003, 04:31 AM
I am all for open source but, I have a problem with someone threatening to remove a post because the Developer doesn't want to share his code. There are ways of determining whether a program is malicious other than scanning the source line by line.

Also, it is not encouraging to those of us that may want to share our programs with the EQEmu community and still maintain control over their creative ideas.