Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Development

Development::Development Forum for development topics and for those interested in EQEMu development. (Not a support forum)

Old 08-12-2009, 11:06 AM
krystlih
Fire Beetle

Default zonechange opcodes (zonelines)

Hey Guys,

I've been going through the code for my own server and I am getting into the zone changing code and have noticed something.

When you cross a zoneline and the client is expecting a packet back for how to handle the zone it seems like the only two responses are:

A) sucessfully load the zone

or

B) send a zoning error to the client

The way the client handles the zoning error is to send the user to a safe point.

I'm wondering is there any other responses that we can send the client besides "zoning error" which causes the client to warp to the safe point?

The effect i'm trying to achieve is like a zoneline "bounce" that when you cross the zoneline it bounces you back to a step prior unless certain conditioins exist. I'm finding it very difficult the way the client is handling zone change packets.

Any ideas?
Old 08-12-2009, 08:07 PM
steve
Discordant

If you can't find a way to do what you want, you could always use an invisible NPC that uses a proximity to port people back. Though, they could just lag and get past the NPC and hit the zoneline...

You could always remove the zonepoint and add an object they have to click to get into the next zone that checks for a character flag.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:47 PM
Taurinus
Hill Giant

I was going to suggest the same. This is definitely something the perl system was built for.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:33 PM
krystlih
Fire Beetle

Yeah I have those two options as my fallback plan at this point, I'm testing the invisible NPC now, but you're right lag might provide some way to get around it, the clicky-item might be the best way for sure.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:21 PM
krystlih
Fire Beetle

FYI, I was able to resolve this, I tested out sending a zone error a -8 and the client just bounces back, this solves the issue of making NPCs or altering zone points.