Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:04 AM
jacasin
Fire Beetle

Question login problems "a timeout occured"

ok ive been fighting with this game for 2 days now trying to get it to work. ive played fine for like 2 weeks straight then 2 days ago, i accidently patched. so i did a fresh install. followed the install guide to the letter, changed the eqhost. but no matter what account i use or how many times i reinstall all i get at login is "a timeout occured". any help for this??
Old 05-22-2010, 05:51 AM
trevius
Developer

If you patch, make sure you uninstall, then fully delete your Everquest folder completely, then re-install. If you don't delete the folder, some files will stay there and will mess you up again when you re-install.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:15 AM
jacasin
Fire Beetle

Default timeout message

ok this time i deleted not just everquest but the sony folder as well. did a fresh install. tried my login and still get the timout occured error. i noticed something else as well. i cant seem to find my eqclient.ini file as well. only thing i can find is a file called eqlsClient. is this right? i even tried a new account with a different email address and still no luck. any further help is appreciated.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:07 AM
trevius
Developer

Are you following this guide?:

http://www.eqemulator.org/wiki/wikka...akka=PlayGuide

Also, what client are you using (Titanium, SoF, SoD, Live)? And what do you have in your eqhost.txt file. Also, if you open the eqhost.txt file after saving and closing it, does it still show what you set in it?
Old 05-22-2010, 07:21 AM
jacasin
Fire Beetle

Default login error

yes im using that guide you linked down to the letter. this is whats currently in my eqhost.txt file [LoginServer]
Host=eqemulator.net:5998 and it is saving correctly.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:22 AM
jacasin
Fire Beetle

Default login error

using a fresh install of Titanium.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:18 PM
trevius
Developer

Do you also happen to have the EQ Trial for Live installed? It is called Everquest: Trilogy. If you do, it can cause some weird issues like that as well.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:33 AM
jacasin
Fire Beetle

Default timeout message

ok i just tried to log in using my friends computer who lives with me. using his computer and version of titanium (which is my version), im able to log in to the game. (were on a network) does that mean im not getting thru to the login server?
Old 05-23-2010, 02:00 AM
trevius
Developer

Most likely it means there is still something wrong with your setup on your own PC. Did you check to make sure you don't have Everquest: Trilogy installed as well? If so, you will need to uninstall that first.

One idea to fix your problem is to delete your EQ folder completely again as well as the icon for it on your desktop. Then, copy your roomate's EQ folder to your PC through your local network using a shared drive or whatever. Then make a new shortcut to eqgame.exe and remember to put the patchme setting in the shortcut properties. Make sure your shortcut is pointing to eqgame.exe NOT everquest.exe.

If that still doesn't work, then you definitely have a port issue on your PC or on your local network. If your roommate has set port forwarding or something for any range that includes 5998 or 9000, that may be messing up the connection to your own PC to reach the Login Server. Otherwise, if you have no port forwarding at all set in your router, then the problem is most likely due to firewall or other security software on your own PC. Also, your windows hosts file could cause problems as well if you have ever changed what is in that file, but if you have, you should be aware that you have changed it, otherwise it hasn't been changed.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:47 PM
dumpy33
Fire Beetle

I'm getting the exact same problem... I've been playing EQ on Project 1999 for over a week now, and all of a sudden, after I log in it says ''a timeout error occured'' during this time, I cannot see any servers. This problem happened randomly, I did not patch and I did not change any of the files in my folder. It just randomly started encountering this error.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:17 PM
Estolcles
Fire Beetle

Actually, I'm suffering it now, and I've not had this issue EVER. Only thing I've done is installed the new (as of 5/30) spells file (for the Project1999 server). >_>
Old 05-30-2010, 09:34 PM
trevius
Developer

As far as I know, spell files can only effect you from being able to get a character in game from character select, not anything to do with logging into the Login Server. Though, I think it would be possible to add something to block people from being able to connect to a particular server in the server list if a certain spell file wasn't used, but EQEmu doesn't support a feature like that yet.

As for issues with the official EQEmu LS, it is hard to say. It could be any number of things. Since Rogean is the only one with access to it currently, he may be the best one to help in support of it. The only client related issues that might cause something like that as far as I know is if you have patched to Live at all, or if you have ports blocked on your network or ISP.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:42 PM
perceptor
Fire Beetle

I resolved this problem by adjusting my firewall settings.