Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::General > Archive::General Discussion

Archive::General Discussion Archive area for General Discussion's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 12-01-2002, 12:24 PM
DannMann99
Hill Giant

Default Legitamacy

Well, i have seen this be thrown around by Image, how he is switching his server around. I want to know though, will every server become legitamate? I feel that they should, fooling around is alright once in a while, but i like EQ for the way it is, having to hang out with friends on a raid to get that last peice of a quest. Grouping for endless hours trying to ding 55 before you have to go to work. Hoping and Praying that no one will beat your roll of 74 for that Ubertastic item.
Im just wondering when will the legit servers come? When will we get our game?
Old 12-01-2002, 02:09 PM
Avila
Fire Beetle

dont fear. legit servers are slowly starting to appear. Eq clasic is a good example. Also i have a legit server in the makings. Items, quests mobs(and respawntimes and loot tables)
Old 12-01-2002, 02:35 PM
DannMann99
Hill Giant

Well my dilema is that with these servers, they are unstable. As in one day the server will be up, the next the server isnt up for weeks.

That is a big reason why the jerks that pissed off Image hurt themselves. Image had a dedicated server, atleast most of the time. Better then anyone elses that have servers and i personally saw it host 30some people. Now tell me another server that can do that. Can your server do that? Probably not.
Old 12-02-2002, 09:39 AM
Avila
Fire Beetle

Well one server that can do that is Freedom Alliance. It is up 24/7 unless there are problems. Like right now the server is down because there is no one running it.Aalron(ServerOP and owner) is gone for a little while, but the server should be back up in a few days.

And my server will be able to support around 50 people, be up atleast 24/6, only legit items, massive dynamic quests, and best of all will be close to EQLive(minus a few things EQEMu doesnt support yet). The peoblem is finding people that would be willing to play on the server.
Old 12-02-2002, 09:45 AM
DannMann99
Hill Giant

i think its great, but the thing is is that instead of having 3 legit servers (yours, eqclassic, and that other one) maybe we should just have one, this way the most people can be on it. It would be great to have a legit server up as close to 24/7 as possible that has a peak user amount of 50
That would be just perfect.
but can we do it?
yes.

Start publicising the Emu on forums and such. Dont make it to big or else it will really piss off sony. But just lay down the site. Introduce people to it and more will come. Thats what we need.
Old 12-02-2002, 04:32 PM
raventy
Sarnak

Yea im all for the Legit servers as I run one myself! (-==Radimus Eq Simulation Server==-) hence the part of its name "Eq Simulation Server" refering to how its trying to be like the real EQLive servers. My server is currently Legit except for you lvl up faster than the EqLive Servers....Right now ppl are lvlin up to fast though.. like within an hour they'll be lvl 20... Im going to lower that alot or make it bak to normal EqLive Lvl UP status depending on how ppl like it. Besides having an Item u always wanted and being that really high lvl u always wanted to be, it seems like me and many others just want a free server just like EqLive with maybe a few adjustments. Lets face it, ppl will get bored once their lvl 65 for a few days and have all the best items... Eq was adictive and fun because u had to really work ur way up to the higher lvls and go on hard quests to get certain items. Once you have all the items u want or are at the highest lvl, the game is no longer fun, as u have no goal anymore. Right now because the Emu is not complete or near EqLive status, I belive it is ok to lvl up to a higher lvl SOMETIMES if a user really wants to..but only for the time being or because their stuck do to Emu restrictions, or just so they can try out a higher lvl for a day because theyve never been that high b4 but then go back down to the beging. Currently because of the internet network in my town upgrading their lines and systems, my server is not up 24/7 nor at really fast speeds when it is. But im hoping come another 1-2 weeks my server should be up 24/7.
Old 12-02-2002, 09:34 PM
Aragain
Sarnak

If you can change the leveling speeds, then couldnt you change the way certain classes play?

Like say, an un-uber ranger able to solo well? Like a real ranger should.

Is anyone going to make a legit server that isnt an exact clone of EQ? Possibly one that goes back to it's roots of AD&D a little?

If it's possible of course.

If it is, I'd like to help get the server up and running, passing in my "special privledges" when the server goes legit, so i can play.

*notices he sounds really dumb when hes tired*

Im going to bed.
Old 12-03-2002, 07:42 AM
inkubus
Hill Giant

I'm personally working on a 'legit' server and I strongly support real roleplay servers where the gameplay directly relates to everquest world. Although i can see the advantage of providing EQLive clones to users not able to pay and play on SOE's servers, I believe that now we have the power to provide something new to our players it should be sat down, planned and then provided slowly.

One of the main problem's i'm finding at the moment is stability. Although disabling most 'admin' commands to users providers alot more stability there are still issues that will confuse users new to everquest and possibly not cause them to stay. However, with all the work the EQEmu development team is doing (\o/ Yay to the devs \o/) I feel we're soon going to have server software and database tools (\o/ Yay to Windcatcher \o/) that will allow us worldbuilders provide very interesting and new ideas to players that will pull in high player bases and hopefully make stable servers that will give us that little something different that most are wanting to see.

Lets see how things go from here

InKy
Old 12-03-2002, 11:55 AM
Aragain
Sarnak

Well a good idea would be to put back in a lot of the ideas from the beta EQ, like tinkering pets, guild halls, and mobs(especially gaurds) dropping what they actually wear.

SOE took out a lot of promising stuff from Beta, sheesh just a guild hall would have improved the experience so much.

What bothers me the most about EQLive, is that in the end, its really about loot. The creatures(which would include the players) of Norrath, have absolutely no effect on the world. Mobs are just there, and players are just there, to beat each other up, forever, until a new expansion comes up, with the worlds history evolving and the creatures having no effect on it.

The world of EQ itself evolves with every expansion, but the players, and the gameplay didn't. While the graphics, and the history that we never really experienced got better, all we did was the same thing, kill, loot, sell.

Thinking of migrational coding i saw somewhere on these forums, that would make EQ SO MUCH BETTER. It's a big step into morphing nature with the creatures.

Guild halls would provide us with an actual reason to have a guild, and would make for some nice guild war oppertunities. But that could be discussed later.

Some of the EQ classes play as they shouldnt. Everywhere you go, I dont care what book, what game, what movie. A ranger can take care of himself on his own. But in EQ, come around level 40, if you were not insanely twinked, a light blue would have ease with you in EQ, as a ranger. That makes no sense to me, but remember this was 7 or so months ago, i think.

I guess what im looking for is a more authentic world, which uses the EQ engine, possible its history for a backbone. Then the history itself would evolve with the players, and vice versa. GM events would more then just... a goblin rampaging in the woods, if you catch my meaning.

Of course I can wait though, for stability to not be an issue anymore. I like playing on non-legit servers just becuase I can have fun an not worry about KILL LOOT SELL for once in my life.

Bottom line, EQ has a lot of untapped potentiel, SOE has shut that out, and with money not in mind, the EQEmu devs, and supperters, have a chance to untap that.
Old 12-03-2002, 11:05 PM
inkubus
Hill Giant

I love the idea of guild halls and guards. Having vendors that you can actually drop and leave in game to sell your items would also be a big bonus.

I'm willing to wait and help them for however long the devs need!
Old 12-04-2002, 04:27 AM
fnemo
Discordant

I'm preparing a french legit server but i have several questions :

the hardware needed (CPU/Ram) ?
the internet connection (im on ADSL 1024/256 kbps) ?

how many people may i handle with a P200 / 128 Mo Ram ?

Thanks.
Old 12-04-2002, 05:00 AM
Aragain
Sarnak

Yah UO did it, and some UO shards have improved it.

Wish I could help you on the server question... I know theres a post around here somewhere asking a similar question, that had answers... Ill look for it
Old 12-04-2002, 05:01 AM
Aragain
Sarnak

Ah here it is

http://forums.eqemu.net/showthread.p...;threadid=4273

has some info.
Old 12-04-2002, 05:09 AM
fnemo
Discordant

thx aragain for the hardware infos. thats what i thoug. i gonna try in first time (untill i get cash) on a P200 (maybe a bit more) for a couple friends then i will get a new one as a huge server ... only if i can get the bandwidth information .

what should i have as kbps in upload per player ?

i have to say that the server will run with the debian 3.0 in shell mode so less system used by the system...
Old 12-04-2002, 10:20 AM
DannMann99
Hill Giant

Everything you people are bringing up is great in theory, and i actually did like the guys post about guildhalls and making mobs be involved in history.
Right now, and probably forever the servers cant handle that. Wandering mobs causes lag in servers, now we have mobs that do things to zones? Dont get me wrong i do love the idea but the only possible way i can see coming close to that is many GM events.
I did like the idea about the guildhall and this is another suggestion you can have for an upcoming legit server.

You should place vendors in each classes guildhall, work out the faction so that guards that guard the guildhall are KOS to everyother class. Put vendors in the hall with certain items that are good, then you can divy up items. Just a suggestion, it has potential maybe.

Also. Everyone seems to have legit servers. Thats great, i love the idea but we should have less this way we can pack the most people onto the best server. I feel that you guys hosting legit servers should just compare to see who couldhost the best, fastest server, open the longest. Then that person should be the one hosting the only legit server. So as to push everyone to join that one server, this way instead of splitting the 30 people that want legit server into 10 servers, we can have all 40 play together.

Just ideas, think about them