Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Bug Reports

Development::Bug Reports Post detailed bug reports and what you would like to see next in the emu here.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:17 PM
trevius
Developer

Default NPC Spell List Recast Delay Not Working

I have done some testing with the recast delay setting for NPC spell lists and it doesn't seem to be having any effect at all. If I am wrong, or just missing something to get it working properly, this post could be moved to the general or server support section.

I first tried setting the recast delay in seconds, thinking that it would be used similar to the recast delay setting for item clickies. That did nothing and did not effect the actual reuse time that NPCs were able to cast the same spell again.

So, I then tried changing it to Milliseconds and that too seemed to have no effect. Even if I set it as high as 1200000, which should be 20 minutes in milliseconds, the NPCs could still re-cast the same spell withing just a few seconds of having cast it. And, they can just cast it over and over again as if it is ignoring that restriction completely.

I am aware that any changes to spell lists requires a server reboot to take effect and I have been doing reboots after each new change I make.

What I am trying to do is use the spell version of Melee disciplines for Warrior, Rogue, and Monk to create a spell list that will let my melee NPCs disc for the new zone I am making. I am also adding discs to my highest level pet class pets (mage, necro, beastlord). I think it will add some nice diversity.

Unfortunately, with the way it is currently working, they are firing off disciplines every few swings and without recast delays working, I will be forced to remove this fun feature.

I am wondering if the code for recast delay on item clickies and player spells might be useful in getting the NPC spells list recast delays working properly.

I also wanted to note that I have the disciplines set as type 1 and type 2 for spell type in the lists. I used type 1 (nuke setting) for damage increasing discs, and type 2 (heal setting) for defensive disciplines.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:21 PM
moydock
Discordant

I believe I had this working a couple months back when I changed all my npc's. I'll test again and let you know.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:39 PM
moydock
Discordant

Yeah mines working fine. I'm not on the latest build, but fairly recent.
It's in seconds for me. For example, the heal I just tested:
ID: 367
npc_spells_id: 6
spellid: 200
type: 2
minlevel: 1
maxlevel: 8
manacost: -1
recast_delay: 30
priority: 1
Old 07-16-2008, 09:32 AM
So_1337
Dragon

I noticed this recently, and it's especially obvious among death-touching mobs like the Golems in Fear. I was even considering a work-around.

Currently, they cast it shortly after they're first aggro'd, and then you never see it again. On Live, it had a refresh timer of one minute, and they'd nuke whoever was at the top of their hate list. I know perl isn't the best solution for this, but I considered writing a script that would fire it off once a minute as it should, using a timer.

But if this recast delay and priority thing is straightened out, it'd be much better, for sure.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:08 PM
trevius
Developer

Maybe it has something to do with the Spell Type setting for the NPC Spell Lists. I am wondering if only certain types will recognize the Recast Delay setting and some will ignore it. IMO, they should all follow the Recast Delay restriction. The ones I have tested so far are set to type 1, which is the Nuke setting. So, maybe the Nuke setting doesn't follow that restriction. Maybe I can try setting them to another type (maybe the DoT setting) and see if that makes any difference. Though, I still think that they should all follow the Recast Delay restriction.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:21 PM
moydock
Discordant

I don't think it affects it. I'm only testing lvl 5 npc's but my druids never nuke twice in a row as well as not healing. I've got 15 second delay on their nukes too. They'll cast bust of flame, and then firefist, or whatever that dot is, but never 2 burst of flame in a row.