Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:00 PM
Yeormom
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post
Yeormom,

Are you being serious, or are you making fun of his spelling of SCSI? :P
I was just providing an example of one of many red flags, as AndMetal has begun to mention and quoted again for refernece below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndMetal View Post
As for Yeormom's comment, I assume you understand that if something sounds to good to be true, it usually is. Specifically, you have a motherboard that supports 7 sticks of ECC/Registered RAM ($350-$700), but doesn't have a SCSI controller already, plus you're combining a processor with a 667 MHz FSB with 800 MHz RAM. Add in that your Internet connection itself should be in the ballpark of $3000-$4000/month (up to ~$9000 if it's a full T3), and things start to sound just a little too good.
I tried and could not locate a motherboard which has more than 6 memory slots (little alone ecc), no onboard scsi controller, and support for dual processors, all while providing either SATA support or a non pci-x slot to support an addon sata card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvinion View Post
Currently Set up to primary boot on a Virtual machine, but moving here shortly to Scuzi drives for improves performance
I have no idea this sentence even means after rereading it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvinion View Post
After talking with a few members of the college, the city and the ISP they have upgraded all internet in this region and all that the current non college residents (all like 7 of us) have brand new internet that costs us only ~30ish dollars more a month than my old crappy 4mbs down /512ks up.
So they gave you a CSU/DSU and ran the line in your house for a mere potential of $30 profit a month? A cheap full duplex T1 costs $350 a month. As further reference, a quote one week ago to put one of my servers back in a data center is $55 PER Mbps of bandwidth each month PLUS power, rackspace, and switch ports. While residential services are much cheaper, business class services are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndMetal View Post
...but if you put yourself on the other side of this & play the devil's advocate, then at least you might be able to empathize with Yeormom's comment and accept it as a valid concern rather than a flame
The one thing run about this community is you will find some highly talented members who lurk around every once in awhile with vast amounts I often consider useless once I leave the office, but often find handy as seen otherwise. Some of the server code is highly customized and thousands of hours have been put into the work so some of us are more cynical than others. Don't take it personally though! <3
Old 01-16-2009, 03:15 AM
Loccochris
Fire Beetle

Well one thing I always wanted to see was another legit server. Something like PEQ perhaps slightly faster leveling like 2x or 2.5x. Also no server I can tell takes on a Firona Vae kind of server where pretty much everything but epics are tradable which should just be a simple database query and change. Then manually go through epics and make them no drop items/quest items.

Think it would add a whole new dimension to game if everything could be traded especially with the bazaar now functioning. I think if you did this throwing in some buffbots in PoK, and perhaps some teleport or not and it should draw a crowd.